Hassio not responding

My wife mentioned a couple lights wouldn’t turn on. I went to the web interface and it doesn’t respond at all. I had just updated to the latest os earlier in the day (but it worked after that). I tried pulling the power cable and repowering but it it doesn’t even respond to a ping. I have created snapshots but they are all on the device. Any idea where I should start troubleshooting?

Pi4 4gb w/ micro sdcard

I did see another thread complaining about a possible memory leak - a restart made it accessible again for a while. That doesn’t gel with your symptoms though so not much help.

If you do get it back up though - this has saved my bacon a couple of times:

Home Assistant Google Drive Backup

I think most people will chime in and say it’s possibly your SD card dying…

Can you connect via SSH?

Is the Pi actually booting (check the status LED)?

If not booting:

The 5.9 OS update has caused a bunch of peoples HA server to not boot.

Copy your snapshots from the SD card using a Linux PC or Windows PC running Linux Reader, or a Live Linux boot image.

Reinstall HA on the SD card. Restore your snapshot.

If it is booting and you can connect via SSH, check the logs for errors and proceed from there.

For future reference there are multiple ways to make and get your snapshots off the card automatically.

To a NAS: Samba Backup: Create and store snapshots on a Samba share

To Goggle Drive: Hass.io Add-on: Hass.io Google Drive Backup

To DropBox: Hass.io Add-on: Upload hassio snapshots to Dropbox

To NextCloud: [New Addon] Snap-Shipper - Webdav backups (and probably other ways to later on)

That is always the last resort as it can make the situation worse.

thanks Tom, the red light is solid. I never paid attention to the LEDs so I don’t know whether the system is actually booting or not. Every since I migrated from standard linux with hass as a manual install to hassios, I lost my ability to ssh and have not tried to figure it out. I pulled the sd card and installed it in a windows machine (I have a linux machine but no sd card reader for it). The drive mounts and I get the following contents. I tried “ext2read” and tried to get it to load a couple random files (start4.elf looks right) but none of them worked. What linux file reader do you suggest?

Red LED = Power
Green LED = flashes when read or write is in progress. Should be blinking rapidly during boot.

thanks Tom. I found the supervisor/backup folder with 4 tar files. they aren’t named what I named them but when I look inside the tar I see the add-on names and config files. Should I save anything else other than the back-up tar files? I grabbed the configuration.yaml and automations.yaml just in case.

Your snapshots should be sufficient but if you want to be “belt and braces”, you should copy everything in the config folder. Including the hidden files (.storage).

The snapshots will have a random character name, no matter what you called them. You can tell them apart by creation date.

Sorry to keep this one going but I’m trying to do the right thing and start fresh with an ssd. I followed the instructions and known working hardware at the following link but its not working. Research on the rpi forums reveals several different other instructions that don’t work. Any chance you can point me to a known working instruction set?

Sorry no. I know nothing about that. I’d search the forums, in particular the community guides section.