Hassio on Docker for Windows

Super Noob Alert
Mates, I am extremely new to anything computer related in general, so much so that I run a windows 10 pc and setting up Home Assistant in Docker for windows. Using instructions from here

Seems like this has been asked multiple times but I could not figure it out yet. “How could I get Hassio addon manager / Supervisor”

And I know that I dont really need to but, hell it makes life so much easier if I could.
Now, I have seen the instructions, but it’s not clear to me where to run these commands? Do I do cmd > and then run the “curl” command ?!

Edit:
Also, I know there are requirements for that to happen, I think I am missing those too.

Docker CE >= 19.03
Systemd >= 239
NetworkManager >= 1.14.6
Avahi >= 0.7
AppArmor == 2.13.x (built into the kernel)
Debian Linux Debian 10 aka Buster (no derivatives)

C:\Users\panda>docker info
Client:
Debug Mode: false

Server:
Containers: 2
Running: 2
Paused: 0
Stopped: 0
Server Version: 19.03.12
Storage Driver: overlay2
Backing Filesystem: extfs
Supports d_type: true
Native Overlay Diff: true
Logging Driver: json-file
Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
Plugins:
Volume: local
Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan null overlay
Log: awslogs fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file local logentries splunk syslog
Swarm: inactive
Runtimes: runc
Default Runtime: runc
Init Binary: docker-init
containerd version: 7ad184331fa3e55e52b890ea95e65ba581ae3429
runc version: dc9208a3303feef5b3839f4323d9beb36df0a9dd
init version: fec3683
Security Options:
seccomp
Profile: default
Kernel Version: 4.19.76-linuxkit
Operating System: Docker Desktop
OSType: linux
Architecture: x86_64
CPUs: 2
Total Memory: 1.945GiB
Name: docker-desktop
ID: KWOO:MGQC:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:KDOC
Docker Root Dir: /var/lib/docker
Debug Mode: true
File Descriptors: 54
Goroutines: 62
System Time: 2020-10-21T04:28:26.843009109Z
EventsListeners: 3
Registry:
Labels:
Experimental: false
Insecure Registries:
127.0.0.0/8
Live Restore Enabled: false
Product License: Community Engine

You’re not going to get a HA Supervised install to work on Windows I don’t think…

Hass.io no longer exists, the name was changed some time ago.

ADR-0014 refers to a Linux based install of Home Assistant Supervised and the requirements around running a supported installation, not a Windows based Docker install like you are trying to run. You can not add the Supervisor to an install, you need to use one of the supported install methods that uses the Supervisor. See HERE for an excellent explanation of each version of HA.

If you are as new to computers are you state, you may be better off getting yourself a Raspberry Pi 4 and installing the Home Assistant OS image instead. It’s a great jumping off point and uses the Supervisor to update the system as well as HA, and has the add-ons store.

2 Likes

Friends don’t let friends run home assistant on windows.

7 Likes

Alas,this is what i thought would happen… So to summarise, Supervisor on Windows (via Docker) is not going to work.
Thus the solution henceforth is either

1. get a Raspberry Pi 4
  2. Linux Distro as OS
  3. Manually addin the addons needed…

Does this sound like fair understanding of the matter ?

Pi4 + HassOS and then you have everything for HA including supervisor and addons

2 Likes

Do this.

As David has stated above, it gives you everything you need to get started. For a new user, it is the best method.

Or you could use VirtualBox to create a VM on your Windows machine. No extra purchases required. I’ve seen a lot of people doing this, including me. The only real down-side is forced Windows reboots to install updates, which can no longer be switched off.

1 Like

Looking to switch from HA Core in docker on my QNAP NAS to an Intel NUC. Now I’m debating what OS to run on the NUC. As a job I manage Windows OS so I’m familiar with all the tools, but I know for simplicity running Linux makes things easier.
What sort of issues do you have running HA in a VM on W10? You mentioned updates and force reboots, how are they affecting your config?

I’m using VirtualBox, which does not run as a service (without 3rd party solutions), so I’ve configured my PC to automatically login (and enabled fast user switching, which is similar). However, if a different user is signed in and it reboots overnight due to a forced Windows Update, my HA user does not automatically login, and so the VM does not start. It’s only a problem because I allow multiple users to login to the PC - if you only had the one user and configure to auto-login, it should work.

Having said that, sometimes I also have problems with using Bluetooth from within HA (I have the Xiaomi smart scale addon). I haven’t quite tracked down the cause, but sometimes the VM can’t see the USB dongle at all, sometimes it becomes unticked, and the other day it “magically” changed from hci0 to hci1 after a reboot.

1 Like

Use linux. If you want to run other services that do not have addons, run proxmox. Otherwise run debian + supervised.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply.
I’m currently running HA, Bitwarden, Unifi controller, MQTT and a few other stuff in Docker on my QNAP TS-453A, all is working fine but I’m annoyed at the time taking to reboot the NAS, takes 15 to 20 minutes.
On the NUC I would like to run same services plus Plex for my Media. From reading around I’ll probably stick Ubuntu on the NUC with HA Supervised and run the rest in Docker.

Another who comes for advice but doesn’t take it. sigh

2 Likes