HA OS on unRaid!

Not sure what is going on there. Are you using any nginx or something similar anywhere?

No Iā€™m not running anything like that, I also tried disabling the other Dockers Iā€™m running on Unraid but no difference

@azaka

Isnā€™t this your bios setting in the VM??

It is, however, the VM was never recoverable once it entered that state. I donā€™t know if that issue was a problem with unraid or with hassOS, but I switched to 1.13 right around the same time that unraid 6.6.3 came out (which had some improvements to the VM manager) and I havenā€™t had the issue since (now on unraid 6.6.6).

Itā€™s lasted through several unraid software updates, a couple of reboots to add new a new drive and replace a failed one. Every once in a while, the file system gets stuck in read-only and I have to reboot the VM, but it has persisted through those as well.

Hey All,

I followed SpaceInvaderOnes video for setting up reverse proxy & also Travisā€™ video for HA as a docker. I donā€™t use HA Cloud but I do use Alexa integration so need to make sure reverse proxy is working to forward the port to 443. But I canā€™t seem to get to home assistant unless the network is configured as Bridge or Host. Iā€™m currently using a proxy next work (along with lots of other containers).

I did post a photo on the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1479888395479030&set=p.1479888395479030&type=3&ifg=1

hello everyone. i just successfully installed hassos on unraid, with a static ip address. but sadly i cant get the samba add on working. i already opened a discussion about it, but maybe its better to ask it here: Static ip Hassos and Unraid if not, let me know. any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hass.io on unRaid is awesome! All my Add-ons work perfectly: Configurator, Duck DNS, Mosquitto broker, and Node-RED.

My only question is scheduling backups for my VM. Iā€™m getting the error: ā€œHass.io is not a vdiskā€ when I use this script

Is there a better way to schedule backups? Or should I somehow try to convert to a vdisk? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Richard

Iā€™ve never used that but you probably want to point it to what appears in your VM config at ā€œPrimary vDisk Location:ā€

Mine is /mnt/user/domains/hassos_ova.qcow2 for example. I donā€™t know if that script wants the full path or only the file name.

The script only wants a list of VMs to back up. It finds vdisks on its own.

Ah, I see.

Snapshots from within Hassio are still a good a way to back up. Itā€™s easy enough to throw up a new VM in unraid and snapshots are going to contain all of what you want anyway. https://gist.github.com/cogneato/24d5a1a0daddec9d048048201170df8b

I have migrated back to using unRAID for my HA and thought i would share how i use it and some of my challenges so far.

I started with HA in a docker and then moved to a Raspberry Pi with Hassio so i could spin up a backup pi very quickly.
I have now gone to Hassio under VM to get the performance with keeping snapshots available to restore on my Pi should unRAID be unavailable. That process is periodic and manual at the moment but aim to automate it.

I keep three VMā€™s for hassio.

• Previous - Which is a copy of the production VM with the same mac for IP Binding etc. This is used for if the live machine breaks, like the UEFI issue below.
  • Production - I leave this one alone mostly now.
  • Next - This is my updating machine where i make the changes and roll it over the the new machine.

So when making changes i do the following:

1. Shutdown production VM
  2. Copy disk image to hassio-previous folder. same ssd so it is quick.
  3. Start production VM
  4. copy previous VM to Next.
  5. Start next VM and turn of all automations.
  6. Make changes to next VM.
  7. When complete i shutdown next and production VM and overwrite the production with the next VM image.
  8. start production VM and hope all is ok.
  9. if it fails shut down and start previous.

This currently a manual process but will write a bash script to do it soon.

Some of the challenges i havenā€™t found solutions too or undertaken yet are:

• When restoring a hassio image from a different platform all the dockers are the wrong architecture so they need to uninstalled an reinstalled. it would be nice if the snapshot didnā€™t store the container image (space saving as well) and pulled it when restoring.
  • I need to find a way to handover automatically to the backup Pi and keep things like port forwarding live etc.
  • If i make changes to the VM disk images, such as expanding the size, the VM sees the disk image as 3GB and will only boot into the UEFI screen.
    If i recreate the VM it will boot into hassio, so it is the VM not the image that is breaking.

My main issue (in bold above) is due to unraid and it is annoying. I have never has this issue with other VMs before.
Has anybody has the UEFI issue like this?

6 Likes

Ok got this running, but where would i be able to add and edit the config files and such? I was using the docker version previously, so I want to take all i have done from the appdata folder and put it into HassIO.

The home assistant configuration is within /config. You can set up ssh or samba addons to reach the default shared directories or use configurator, IDE, or VSCode addons, etc.

Thanks for that, but where is /config for HassIO on Unraid?

Sorry, I reread this and it makes more sense now. Working on getting Samba going.

I got HASSIO installed using the last youtube video that was postedā€¦ everything boots up fine it seems when Iā€™m looking at the console through VNC.

However, I canā€™t see the HASSIO instance on my network. When I run ip addr show on the console, i get the following, but Iā€™m not seeing what my IP is.

I see 192.168.122.21/24 which doesnā€™t make sense to me since my internal network address subnet is on 192.168.1.x Iā€™ve setup.

Can anyone help?

1 Like

If you use nmcli you can see other info. What dns servers and gateway appear?

Doh, i figured this out. The issue was that my Unraid networking settings did not have Bridging enabled. I disabled Docker and VM, changed bridging to yes, then was able to edit my VM to choose br0 for the network bridge. voila! it now has an ip i can connect to!

1 Like

Hi
I am trying to install Hassio on Unraid VM using the above tutorial.
Issue I am having:
I not able to open he Hassio webUI.
My settings:

My network settings:

With nmcli d . I get this :

and with nmcli I get this :

But when I open 160.170.1.24: 8123 it doesnā€™t open hassio webUI

Can any one please help me with this. I dont know where I am doing wrong.

Thanking you
-sri

1 Like