Hassio vs HomeAssistant % documentation confusion

Hassbian is a discontinued product. Where did you get it ?

You should install an image for your hardware from : -

Which pi4 do you have (not all are supported) ?

Sorry, of course I meant Raspbian, (Raspberry Pi OS Buster).
I have Rasperry Pi 4 Model B, and it seems to works fine.
I don’t blame my hardware for the absence of the addon store.

What pi4 do you have ? - Not all are supported (ie do you have a 1gb, 2gb, 4gb or 8gb one)

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB model) 32-bit

Is probably what you should have installed.

pi@******:~ $ free -h 
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          3,8Gi       216Mi       2,7Gi       8,0Mi       918Mi       3,5Gi
Swap:          99Mi          0B        99Mi

4G then.

which method did you use to install HA?

He said pi OS (buster) so I’m assuming either core or core in docker

What do you mean by this ?

That looks right too but your installation method was wrong so : -

1. You currently have no addon, to get access to the addon store you need to change your install
  2. To get easy access to this folder you will need to configure samba (doable but involved if you’ve not set up samba servers before) the addons make it much easier

The main installation procedure didn’t work for me, as I have a headless device, and I proceded with

so I ended up with setup that auto-detected something, but no configuration is exposed, and no addons. If all that is hidden within a container, then it’s definitely “wrong” for me.

Which main installation procedure are you talking about? What dif not work with this method?Almost everyone uses a headless device for Home Assistant, so this is definitely not the issue.

Supporting what Burningstone said (see I used your full name this time :smiley: )
The whole point of these methods is so that you can run headless, that way you can interact with the software from any browser.
In fact, given the ‘supported’ installation methods - its pretty much unusual to actually have a head. And probably those that do, don’t use it.

Can you explain what didn’t work for you ?
Are you new to home automation ?
You are not a complete novice as you managed to complete a core installation, but what are your computer skills/background ?
And what do you want/expect/need from HA ?
Your English is very good, but I just detect a slight edge, would I be right in saying English is not your first language ? (it doesn’t matter, it just means we’ll take more care in explaining stuff)

@123 I think this is an instance of confusion with naming over installation methods (just for reference)

:rofl: :rofl: are we still talking about the machine or the user in front of the machine?

2 Likes

The ‘idiot’ outside ?

I carry my head under my left armpit ( I’m right handed ! )

:rofl:

1 Like

When I tried to use the main line, the device failed to connect to the network, neither WiFi nor ethernet.

When I connected a monitor to HDMI0, it was dead as well, so I concluded there is something wrong with the image and went ahead with plain Raspberry Pi OS install, which indeed went smoothly. It all worked and even found some devices around, but

1. there is no addons store
  2. there is no configuration.yaml file other than the almost empty one in ~homeassistant/.homeassistant

Yes, I am completely new to home automation, but not exactly new to Unix, e.g., I don’t use Windows™ for my everyday desktop needs. I am also reluctant to the idea of running an application-specific OS flavour.

For now, I am looking to control few Sonoff switches and NodeMCU boards that I flashed with my own software. I am also choosing an automation system for a large installation in a future house.

As for my English abilities, I fail to see how discussing them is within the scope of this thread, unless I am not making myself clear to such an extent that this becomes an issue.

As long as you avoid localisms (turps, chunder, padkos, manky, gobshite et cetera) we shall be totally fine.

Main Line ?
I STRONGLY recommend that you go with : -
https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/4.10/hassos_rpi4-4.10.img.gz
This is by far the easiest method to getting started and comes with all the bells and whistles :smiley:
AND This is the method used by the majority of the developers. :+1:
It’s preferable not to use WiFi, just use a Cat5/5 cable and a) it runs quicker b) does not clog your WiFi with unnecessary chatter (better for you and your neighbours environment).
If you run into problems, we can try to help.

That’s becuase you installed ‘core’ which is the core python module set without the supervisor around it which provides the other integration links.

Yep that’s the one we all start with, but it will fill up as you integrate stuff. The “default config” takes care of most stuff for you. When you get the addons, their is a simplified Samba addon, that allows you to set up your config folder (my access is via : - \192.168.0.200\config , for example and that way you can see the whole setup.
Supervisor also allows you to take ‘SnapShots’ ie full installation backups (mine are small at about 2MB as I turn off history and most logging (not good on an SD card (though I don’t use an SD card (more on that another time)))).
SnapShots can be restored on any supervised system so in 6 months when you have loads of experience you can take your latest and drop it onto new system (Running say Supervised docker On Debian 10 On an i7 turbo nutter workstation), reboot, change ip addresses and you are where you left off. Doddle !

Lucky Bugger !

Several features of ‘standard operating systems’ conflict or interfere with HA (eg modem manager) You should not need to interact with the OS at all, everything should be done through HA, So consider it the base OS (or firmware) for HA.

You are quite correct, if you have a problem with anything, let us know, until then, enough said. (Though you do seem to have a handle on a lot of UK specific colloquialism’s)

I suggest you try again with the install link above and post specific issues with it.

The benefit of using a supervised install is the snapshots above, back ups are a dream

Understood.

If I go this way (hassos-4.10), will I still be able to use the system more or less normally, except for modem management? Normally means running packages, installed from Raspbian repos?

It won’t be raspbian at all. Raspbian repos will be irrelevant as it runs a different OS.

You may be more comfortable with a raspbian + supervised setup. Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Raspberry Pi OS

Will I end up with the same HA Core that I installed, or it will be different?

You will end up with HA Supervised which includes core but also has the addon store. To get the addon store, you install either Hass OS or HA Supervised. HA Container and Core do not have the addon store.

1 Like

They really need Taras’s table in the install page.
Looking at the install page you can easily miss the link to the images page too.

1 Like