Hassio WIreless config

I just tried the nmcli solution and had the following message:

Error: connection activation failed: (7) Secrets were required, but not provided

and I don’t connect…what am I missing???

2 Likes

I am having the same error but i dont have the fiels you are talking about to change the wifi.
Error: connection activation failed: (7) Secrets were required but i do not have a

system-connections/resin-sample to edit nor the directory Ideas?

You can create the following folder structure directly on the SD card: CONFIG\network and add the file my_network with the content as specified above, adapted with your ssid, password , etc.
At least that works for me.

Fastender,

Your suggestion is the cream of the crop! The nmtui command beats every other guide when wanting to configure a WIFI network when already connected to cable!

Worked for me as well, but I used the following file structure in the boot partition: CONFIG/network/my-network (according to article https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/) and placed the contents of your script into this ‘my-network’ file. Worked for me, thanks Per4merKC!

2 Likes

Very helpful, thanks mate, got me out of a bind just now (at least, in as easy a way as possible).

Turns out you can edit it on the Pi with SSH right?
using nmcli (network manager command line interface)
nmcli d connect SSID password mypassword

Michael
Ill have to try it via SSH but I have definitely done it with a keyboard and using nmcli (logged in as root then type login to get to the Hass.io shell.

If some people still end here after 7 months, here is how I connected to my Wifi

To list all available wifi
nmcli device wifi list
You can refresh the devices by running
nmcli device wifi rescan
And to connect
nmcli device wifi connect [SSID-Name] --ask
This will ask your password, and you’re connected :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As for now (hassos v5.13) to setup WiFi you need to do next:
At “boot” partition you need to create “CONFIG” folder and inside of that folder you need to create “network” folder. So the result path will be the next <boot_mount_folder>/CONFIG/network.
At the end, inside “network” folder create your wifi config file “my-network” (as described here):

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=MY_SSID
# Uncomment below if your SSID is not broadcasted
#hidden=true

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=MY_WLAN_SECRET_KEY

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

Now you can eject SD card, put it in RPi and be happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My HA OS cant seem to see the wifi device. I Managed to add a connection using the nmtui but when I show the devices it cannot see the WiFi adapter it seems. I know it has an adapter because I had windows installed on it and was using Wifi.

After lot of search in Google, I ended up with your post and it solved my issue.
Thanks for your comments.
Important for anyone connecting to WiFi, “my-network” folder doesn’t seem to be needed

so the path should be CONFIG\network\

I didn’t say about “my-network” folder, it was about a file.
I am happy that my instruction works for you :slight_smile:

Thank you. Ethernet port on my pi crapped the bed. Waiting for a new one. This saved me. Was having the same issue