HassOS VM-based HA GUI does not start after host reboot

After a host reboot, I cannot get HA GUI to start. I can ping my HA IP, but cannot get the GUI to start. Any suggestions? Where are the logs for a VM-based hassio?

hassio_vm

the log (homeassistant.log) should be in the same directory location as the rest of your configuration files.

:grinning: Where are those located?

I don’t know how you have your config set up. How do edit your various configuration yaml files?

via the HA GUI. What is the guest OS of the VM-HA? is it based on Linux? And, I am assuming you are replying with knowledge of the VM-based install? (The Hassio image)

Seems I’m answering some of my own Q. Determined the image OS is HassOS, and it appears I can gain access to the logs via command-line. However, ‘hassio homeassistant logs’ does not work. Where do I find the commands for HassOS?

No, I don’t use hassio so that wouldn’t be a good assumption. :wink:

However, I might be able to help you work thru it since I know just enough to be dangerous.

How are you ssh’d into hassio? What way are you opening the cli? and what does the terminal prompt say?

Thanks for the help here.

SSH: non
CLI: I’m not. I’m strictly working from the HassOS terminal/environment
Terminal prompt: My attached screenshot is what it shows

Again, I can ping my hassio machine, I just cannot access the GUI. This is where we need someone who is familiar with the HassOS environment to help me gain access to the logs to view what may be happening. Then, I would need a means of opening the configuration.yaml file in this environment. I’ve been searching, but cannot find any reference to the terminal commands for HassOS.

When I attempt to use the hassio Cli commands, I receive the below error. Possibly, my syntax is wrong.

This is the only thing I found in a quick search:

this post may have some useful further info:

Did you ever set up a samba share for your HA so you could access the configuration files remotely?

This thread is another example of a good reason to stay completely away from HassOS.

The answer was in the article, but not what you would expect. Although I cleared my browser cahe/temp, etc., and restarted. I had not tried a different browser. In a different browser, I gained access.

As you eluded to, the final solution was to build a new HassOS. Yeah, that I see no fun in doing. Interesting that there were no commands built-in to troubleshoot like you can do in a hassio CLI. Looks like I will be installing hassio on a Linux-based VM, which comes with its own set of problems, but at least I’ll have access to full CLI commands. Thanks.

Just for testing I got a running version of Hassio in Docker on a Linux server running straight Debian without too much trouble. Just use the scripts for the “alternative installation methods” and it will be up & running in no time.

I have other issues with Hassio in general (in addition to the HassOS limitations that you ran into) that makes me want to shy away from it. Tho, the siren call of easier companion app configuration thru the add-on store has an appeal. That’s why I even tried to run it in the first place but I ultimately, for now, shut it back off again.

So far the only thing I’m missing that I really could find useful is the NUT-UPS add-on. I just haven’t figured out a good solution for it that allows me to run it in Docker.

Unless you REALLY need the add-ons I recommend just running HA in a normal (non-hassio) docker container.

Thanks for the input. I’m wondering if the Add-ons are what causes some of the OS issues. I do like a number of the add-ons, and since it sounds like I can better troubleshoot the environment, I’ll try the alternative install method. Thanks again.

1 Like

And then run what you want in Docker

1 Like

exactly!..:slightly_smiling_face:

install hassOS on my RPI4, broke some config file,released i cant get a proper prompt,going to uninstall…waste of a day!

This is the second time I have run across you saying “run what you want in docker”. Any examples would be benificial, you asked in the other thread what add-on he was after, so I’ll tell you in my case I’m looking at the ADB Android Bridge add-on, but I’m fiarly intuitive any documentation on configuring an Add-On manually would probably be sufficient. I have also stayed away from HassIO and gone manual, but I’m attemtping it again at the moment via the pre-packaged vmdk. It’s kinda clunky as there is no way for me to know how things are going, no UI and the debug information on the screen is useless. They should (IMO) really release the VMDK with a version already installed and prompt user to update upon login.

Anyway, what I really want is to configure the add-on myself, but I’m at a loss how to do that…