Have echo connect/disconnect from bluetooth speaker from HA

Like the title states, I’d like to figure out a way to automate a specific echo dot connecting and disconnecting from bluetooth speaker.

I have an echo dot connected to a bluetooth receiver. What I’m trying to do is pipe the audio from alexa over the bluetooth connection when the amplifier is on, otherwise over her internal speaker.

Currently I have to do this in 2 steps.
Step 1. Tell Alexa to turn amplifier on
Step 2. Tell Alexa to connect to bluetooth

I’d like to combine this into 1 automation step, so when I tell alexa to turn amplifier on, she also connects to the bluetooth.

Anyone know if this is possible?

1 Like

I don’t know if there is a function to access the alexa bluetooth connect.

I have done similar steps on my Alexa directly using the routines feature

Thanks, I’ll check out routines, see if I can get it to do what I want. Thanks!

So I looked into routines, and It will not let me connect/disconnect bluetooth through a routine. Good thought though.

have a look at Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

This will add alexa as a media device and will allow you to select bluetooth devices as source

Will check that out tonight.

I also found this:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/alexa-voice-service/bluetooth.html

But am a bit lost, and haven’t figured, or found any examples of how exactly to make those calls, do I write an application that sends those payloads to avs? Then I could call that application form home assistant, or can I have HA somehow build and send those calls to AVS.

keatontaylor has created a custom component for HA . It’s a bit of a long thread , but the first post explains how to install it . You need to supply the script with your login details and HA will add your Alexa devices as media devices . You can then script them as any other media device. The media source allows you to switch between the internal alexa speaker and any bluetooth speakers defined in the alexa app.

Perfect! this is exactly what I needed. I had stumbled upon the Alexa as media player thread before I asked this question, but was unaware that it could connect/disconnect to bluetooth as well.

Now I just need a bluetooth receiver that doesn’t auto poweroff when there is no connection and I’m all set.

Thanks for the help!

I love the added bonus of this addon being able to do TTS. Gonna mess with the kids later today :slight_smile: