Having a TON of trouble with basic HA Configuration

Alright, so I am a complete amateur when it comes to home automation. I just recently go everything set up but I’m having a bit of trouble with frontend and setting up Z-wave. I’ll try to describe my problem as best as possible. First off, my ui-lovelace.yaml does nothing! If I leave it completely blank there are still cards and entities on my homepage and no matter what I add it doesn’t show on the frontend. I can use the built in UI Configurator just fine to mess with the homescreen but that doesn’t change my lovelace file either. They seem to be working independently.

My other major problem is really just setting up and configuring Z-wave. I have a Linear HUSBZ-1 and a couple Z-wave products but I just simply don’t know where to start when it comes to setting these up. Adding the zwave: to my configuration file didn’t do a whole lot and the Z-wave Network Management tool fails to call anything. So I could use help with that as well…

Let me know if there’s any information you might need and I’ll be sure to grab it for you! Thanks in advance, sorry the confusion is so basic

How did you install HA and on what hardware?

Lovelace isn’t the default interface yet, so you would have to make it the default first. You can do this in the interface by pressing the I (info) button at the bottomright of the hamburger menu. Then scroll down and press make lovelace default. Immediately after that you should press try lovelace to go to the lovelace interface (next time you will visit the page it will automatically go to lovelace unless you clear your browser cache).

On z-wave I can’t help you unfortunately as I have zero experience with that.

I believe I used the all in one installer on a fresh Raspberry Pi 3, then set up duckDNS and do all my configurations through the Hass.io Configurator Add-on

1 Like

Yeah that’s the part that really confuses me because I did that! Now when I’m at my main Overview page it has the whole /lovelace/ in the address bar and I can edit it from there. My problem is that I can’t edit it through the configuration file

If you are using Lovelace in storage mode, the ui-lovelace.yaml file is ignored. To switch to yaml mode you need to add this to config yaml

lovelace:
  mode: yaml

and restart the home assistant

You should be able to click on the 23 dots in top right corner though and configureui from there… and then click on 3 dots again and get into the raw editor where you can cut & paste your lovelace yaml file…

Ah that is because the ui-lovelace.yaml file is no longer used (unless you really want to). The default is now done via the UI (on the top right you have the settings) you can configure cards individually or edit the raw config from within the home assistant ui. I can imagine that you are like me and that you prefer the “old” way of doing it. If you want to use the ui-lovelace.yaml file, you need to add the following line to your configuration.yaml file:

lovelace:
mode: yaml

(It requires 2 spaces before “mode” but I don’t know how to do that on the forums, I’m still fairly new to the forums)

If you have the Hass.io item in your left hand window, then you have hass.io.

Go to Hass.io > System > Host System > Hardware

Under Serial:
You should see devices listed like

• serial:
    • /dev/ttyACM0
    • /dev/ttyAMA0

This should confirm that something is plugged in, and that you need to add the zwave entries to your configuration.yaml file. The network_key is required for adding secure devices. Treat it like a password and make one up with this format.

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
network_key: “0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07, 0x08, 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0B, 0x0C, 0x0D, 0x0E, 0x0F, 0x10”

How do I know whether I’m supposed to use the ACM0 or the AMA0 in the usb_path? And for the network key, anything can be in the quotations? Like “password” for example (ignoring the fact that password is an insecure password)

After trying both ACM0 and AMA0 (which were the two in my list) I’m still getting constant fail to call messages when I try to add Nodes or do anything Z-wave

ACM0 is typically what works for the Aeotec zwave sticks. Here’s the info on the network key format.

Do you see ANY zwave tile in the web interface? Something like this?

if you parse the /config/home-assistant.log file (cat home-assistant.log | grep -i zwave) you should see some messages showing the startup and errors.

2019-01-22 22:42:43 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Starting Z-Wave network…
2019-01-22 22:42:43 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [openzwave] Start Openzwave network.
2019-01-22 22:42:43 INFO (Dummy-36) [openzwave] Driver ready using library Static Controller version Z-Wave 3.95
2019-01-22 22:42:43 INFO (Dummy-36) [openzwave] home_id 0XXXXXX, controller node id is 1
2019-01-22 22:45:40 INFO (Dummy-36) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Zwave network is ready for use. All awake nodes have been queried. Sleeping nodes will be queried when they awake.
2019-01-22 22:45:41 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Z-Wave ready after 177 seconds

Are you trying to add powered devices or battery based devices? Secure devices can only be added through HA, because of the required network_key.

2019-01-22 18:13:04 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml) for zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Can't find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can't find device /zwaveusbstick : ['NoneType: None\\n']"

That’s all I got

Try this:

So it’s only been about 30 minutes but that seems to have killed my HA, won’t come back up after the restart so far but I’ll give it an hour or two and go from there

Yep, definitely killed my Home Assistant. Stuck on Unable to Connect. After resetting it as much as I could I finally got it back up and running but it seems to have caused some more problems. I’ll mess around with it and if I can’t sort it out I’ll drop another comment

::redacted::

None of that matters in a hassio installation…

2019-01-23 16:42:56 WARNING (Dummy-3) [openzwave] Z-Wave Notification DriverFailed : {'notificationType': 'DriverFailed', 'homeId': 0, 'nodeId': 255}
2019-01-23 16:47:56 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Z-Wave not ready after 300 seconds, continuing anyway
2019-01-23 16:47:56 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Future exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave/__init__.py", line 703, in _finalize_start
    network.set_poll_interval(polling_interval, False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/network.py", line 894, in set_poll_interval
    self.manager.setPollInterval(milliseconds, bIntervalBetweenPolls)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/network.py", line 564, in manager
    raise ZWaveException(u"Manager not initialised")
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: 'Zwave Generic Exception : Manager not initialised'

Alright new problem! @dap35

Hassio isn’t a regular distro. You don’t have all those tools available. It’s also docker, so your suggestions don’t work here.

No. The OS handles that.

It’s docker. It runs privileged and sees everything attached to it.

And it’s a different OS than the OP.

You literally said in your original comment:

and if you had, you would know that the OP installed HASSIO. Your suggestion was to:
A. install a DIFFERENT OS than what he wanted.
B. Use an ‘all in one installer’ which has been deprecated for a year.
C. set rules that would only apply had he actually installed your OS recommendation
D. used a path for configuration that would also only work had he installed your OS recommendation.

None of these would help the OP if he WANTED HASSIO. PERIOD.

Lots of people have that same stick, and it just works in HASSIO. There is no voodoo that he has to do to make it work.

And this shows you actually have no idea what you are talking about. I am not talking about a “theoretical similarity” I am literally telling you that HASSIO is completely, 100% different, than Raspbian.