Hayward AquaLogic / ProLogic automation

Yes, thank you. I should have been more clear… I did hookup up the board and connected the DE/RE terminals to VCC (which allows for the module to be transmitter mode) - it did work. But since I’m using the ESP-01 with esp-link, was wondering if esp-link would do the flow control.

I’ve ordered the other version of the RS485 adapter to try just in case.

Is there anything that I can do to help get this to work with the AQ-CO-HOMENET wireless adapter? Would it be helpful if I shucked mine so I can show you the board? It would be amazing if we could do this wirelessly

That won’t help as the serial interface is not documented anywhere. Someone with a unit would have to reverse-engineer it. Guessing it is the same as the AQ-CO-SERIAL protocol, but that is not currently supported either.

It turns out the AQ-CO-HOMENET uses an unencrypted local server to send commands. I will be investigating this further, but for now here is what I’ve dug up: I found this js file on the local server that appears to show button mapping for emulating button presses (I don’t actually know, I’m not a dev) It’s nicely annotated too! WebFuncs.js

I also found this, which appears to have some documentation on how the AQ-CO-SERIAL communicates: https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/aqua-connect-aq-co-serial.pdf

If none of this is useful, is there a way to use my E-Command 4 with this integration? I’ve got a CAT6 cable that comes out of my house right next to the controller, which I could use to wire up an ethernet adapter like you’ve mentioned - but I can’t figure out if my board is compatible - I think it’s a GLX-PCB-HPC-4

Is it possible to hook up a rs-485 directly to the headers on a wireless remote? I have an AquaPod remote, so not even sure if it has the headers but it would be a lot easier to hook it up to the remote than running a cable all the way to the pool control panel.

Sharing back - inspired by a few posts on this thread, I was able to get the following hardware setup running and stable for a few weeks now. On the software side, it took a few tweaks to get esp-link configured and on the HA/Aqualogic code, I’ve found exclusively relying on the wireless protocol to be very reliable. Hope this helps others and thanks for all the great work on this!

The wireless remote will not have a RS-485 header.

Thank you for posting this. I might end up doing this if I can run Ethernet to my pool controller. Do you have all this installed inside the controller box?

Yes, but not yet permanently mounted. Since I periodically needed to detach it, I used a “JST 4 pin” connector to create a connection to the terminal block in the panel.

1 Like

I have an Aquarite ARQ15. Can a follow this thread to connect to HA? I don’t want to control it, I just want to see the readings.

Thanks

The Aquarite prototocol is slightly different from the Aqualogic so not currently supported.

1 Like

Given that the typical configuration for a networked connection is:

**Example configuration.yaml entry**
aqualogic:
  host: IP_ADDRESS
  port: PORT

…what are the appropriate parameters for a serial connection – host localhost and port /dev/ttyUSB0?

Thanks.

Has anything broke in the recent updates? I verified that I am able to read the values from the controller through cli.py, but HA is not showing any of the values. I don’t really see anything in the logs for the plugin, seems like it isn’t trying to capture the data.

I have noticed the same thing with the latest updates. My sensors no longer display any values in HA yet I can remote into MC in Aqualogic panel and see the values. Anyone know if this is being addressed? I did not see any mention of it in breaking changes while reviewing changelogs.

Ditto, same here (no longer sending data to HA).

Perhaps someone could be more specific about what they mean by ‘the latest updates’. The aqualogic component in HA hasn’t changed in months.

I recently updated home assistant to 2021.8 and aqua logic stopped updating (all entities are showing no status). I downgraded back down but still no dice. I’m guessing HA may have broken something with the newest release

1 Like

The aqualogic library supports direct serial connections but the HA code doesn’t yet, because they want all the config stuff re-written. I may end up abandoning the core integration and creating a custom component since integrating anything into HA core has become a PITA.

2021.8.1 works fine for me on macOS.

I’m on 2021.8.4 and it just broke for me as well. This really sucks!