HDMI CEC to turn on TV and AVR no longer working

Hi
I just moved my Kodi to a raspberry 4 which have HDMI-CEC support which is awsome!
Finally I can make this a bit more wife friendly! :slight_smile:

However this was working for me for a day but now I can’t possibly make it work again.

This is the script I’m using

script:
  kodi:
    sequence:
    - service: kodi.call_method
      data:
        entity_id: media_player.kodi
        method: Addons.ExecuteAddon
        addonid: script.json-cec
        params:
          command: activate

And the log displays this

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.kodi.media_player] Run API method media_player.kodi.Addons.ExecuteAddon({'addonid': 'script.json-cec', 'params': OrderedDict([('command', 'activate')])}) error: {'code': -32602, 'message': 'Invalid params.'}

I can’t recall changing anything but now it’s no longer working.
Any thoughts?

Responding to myself
To be able to use above the addon jscon-cec needs to be installed:

Why it was working day 1 must have been that I accidantally must have been invoking this ssh command instead of the kodi addon:
/usr/bin/ssh [email protected] "systemctl restart kodi"
I can’t explain it in any other way.

Hope this helps others starting with home-assistant and libreelec

1 Like

I have noticed that the android remote control app for kodi (libreelec) called yatse is able to switch on the TV by using CEC activate found on the apps power menu.

This works very smooth and no need to restart kodi like the ssh commands

I can’t work out what command yatse is sending to kodi but I suspect it is the JSON-CEC Activate so I tried this using the same yaml as the original post and getting the same error in the logs.

I am fairly certain that JSON-CEC is installed as you can send other commands to kodi from the browser to look at the media library, etc

The error in the log is suggesting that the format of the command is wrong but the yaml matches the documentation as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have an idea how to edit the code to get it to accept the format?

the error I am getting is

Run API method media_player.kodi.Addons.ExecuteAddon({'addonid': 'script.json-cec', 'params': {'command': 'activate'}}) error: {'code': -32602, 'message': 'Invalid params.'}

1 Like

I am trying to work out how it does it too, I suspect not with the following

As I don’t have json-cec installed. Debug logs don’t seem to show the jsonrpc payload

I installed the network tool add-on and captured a tcpdump… it is not a HTTP request to the jsonrpc at all. Yatse sends some form of UDP packet which I’m not sure how to interpret

See CECActivateSource() from my phone clicking “CEC Activate” below

Ah ha! I found the UDP protocol and extracted a very small script to wake the TV

See kodi_send_udp_action.py · master · Kevin / Kodi send UDP action tool · GitLab

For completeness in case someone else wants to try this. Placing the script into /config/ and the following shell command

shell_command:
  kodi_cecactivate_for_tv: >-
    python /config/kodi_send_udp_action.py {{ kodi_ip }} '{{ command }}'

Can be used like so:

service: shell_command.kodi_cecactivate_for_tv
data_template:
  kodi_ip: 192.168.1.44
  command: "CECActivateSource()"

Which is handy for old LG netcast tvs like mine

# lg 55la6620 tv
media_player:
  - platform: lg_netcast