Hello from a HomeSeer HS4 Refugee

It looks like the new .115 upgrade messed up all the percent readings in the all the Custom Components.

cannot import name 'UNIT_PERCENTAGE' - 0.115 · Issue #40207 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I went in the sensor.py file and replaced UNIT_PERCENTAGE with PERCENTAGE and it seemed like it fixed the issue for the homeseer custom component

This is the kind of thing that will keep me from ever using HA as my primary home automation system. If you don’t mind, can you go to the github repo and open an issue on this? I’m tied up today but I’ll get it fixed over the weekend.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken, Thanks for helping fix this issue in the custom component. For me, I still prefer HA as my main home automation system because the benefits outweigh the downsides compared to HS. But, for HA , breaking changes are the reason I don’t upgrade to the latest version when released and will wait until the dust has settled and after carefully researching the impacts. A rapidly developing software like HA is bound to have these kinds of issues. We just need to be aware of the issues and deploy it accordingly.

I submitted the issue.

Thanks

Before I upgrade I take a snapshot. I upgraded pretty quickly, but after seeing the error I rolled it back to .114. After looking into it a bit, I saw what I thought could fix it and tried it and it looked like it did, otherwise I would have left it back on .114. With as easy as it is to restore a snapshot, I usually give it a try pretty quickly, if it doesn’t work, back it goes.

Working on fix but holding off on pushing the change until I get an answer to this post:

Pull request submitted and pending approval by marthoc. Per the recommendation in my above post, I’ve defined UNIT_PERCENTAGE locally in const.py to decouple the custom component from homeassistant.const. Changing UNIT_PERCENTAGE to PERCENTAGE would have broken the component for HA versions below 0.115.

Hi Ken, Any idea how long it will take to get your pull request approved and merged. Just wondering so I can start testing v.115. Thanks.

I pinged Mark directly. He may have missed the notification email.

In the meantime you can pull from my repo:

git clone https://github.com/kmitch95120/homeseer.git
cd homeseer
git checkout fix-PERCENTAGE

Do I need to delete the existing “homeseer” directory in the “custom components” directory before I pull from your repo?
Do I go back to the original “marthoc” repo after it has been updated? Or should I stay on your repo?

For sanity purposes, I’d recommend deleting the ‘homeseer’ directory before doing the clone.

Also, since you’d be on a feature branch of my repo, I’d recommend going back to marthoc’s master once my pull request has been merged. Feature branches are usually deleted once they’ve been merged.

Thanks. There is no urgency for me to upgrade to v.115…but it would be nice to test new features. I wish the master branch was merged and updated in a more timely manner - so we would not have to go back and forth between master and feature branches. I realize everyone is busy and this is a volunteer system…so willing to wait. Hopefully the master will be updated soon. Thanks again for all your efforts…

Hi. First time posting on this forum. Spent hours reading through this post before moving forward. Been on HS3 for about 3 years now. Got HA going (vSphere using the HomeAssistant OS option with the docker containers) about 2 days ago.

Just wanted to post a thanks to @kenm for planting the seed for all this knowledge, it’s been so helpful.

I was able with some trial and error to get my HS events and devices into HA using the integration at https://github.com/marthoc/homeseer as described above, working great so far. So thanks to @marthocoo for all your work there, much appreciated!

I’m going to be checking out the MQTT as well but so far I don’t have a use case that will require it.

Finally, much thanks to Franck Nijhof for the VScode and NPM add-ons. So helpful!

(Apologies if I’ve used incorrect names for things or annoyed those I’ve tagged, just a grateful n00b).

My config is public btw in case anyone wants to crib but there’s nothing unique there (yet):

And finally, thanks generally to this community for sharing so much.

JH

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Pull Request has been merged in marthoc/homeseer/master. Have at it.

Confirming that the latest code at marthoc/homeseer has resolved the percentage/unit_percentage issue for me, I’m no longer getting the error notification, thank you!

Thanks. Updated to latest HS3 Custom Component (0.6) …Upgraded HA to v.115.2 and everything is working fine

Same here…all looks good now.

HomeSeer Custom Component 0.6 and pyhs3 0.11 have been tested with HS4 4.1.7.0 and appear to be working fine. DISCLAIMER: I can only test against my Z-Wave network so there could still be something lurking out there.

Please report issues on Github and I’ll do my best to help out.

I am curious if there’s any way to translate/transpose/convert a Z-Wave Switch Multilevel in HS to a ‘cover’ in HA?