Hello from a HomeSeer HS4 Refugee

Hi,
I’m also a HS4 user that is now setting up (a parallel) HA system.
The ONE thing that I loved in HomeSeer are the device view with the location1/2 filters. These make it so easy to get instant access to devices based on room/type etc.

That I have not found in HomeAssistant (yet?).

What do I mean with that? A page where I see all my devices with an easy way to filter by 2 fields that I have defined. In HS they are called location1/2. You can rename them to things like “Floor / Type”.

Is there anything similar in HA?

PS. we should make Jon00 migrate to HA :slight_smile:

1 Like

The default Devices, Entities and Areas pages should give you enough options to search, view and sort devices and entities any way you want. Moreover, you can build any custom view in the Dashboard to group and view any entity in any way you want.
In the default HS3, you had one device view with a couple of sorting / filtering options. In HS4 there were additional options. In HA, the choices are endless.

My HA devices page allows me to SORT on: Device, Manufacturer, Model, Area, Integration, Battery
No filtering options except for “Show disabled devices”

In homeseer lists all devices with below each device a list of entities.
Example:

And for each entity and device you see:

• name
  • area
  • custom field (“location2”)
  • value / state
  • date/time last change <— VERY valuable

On top of the page you can filter for “area” and the other custom field that I use to separate devices in specific categories. Examples:

• doorsensors
  • energy
  • temperature sensors
  • battery
  • charts
  • remote
  • lights

Is it possible to create a page that provides this type of info?

Here are a few simple temperature cards from my dashboard:

Clicking on the temp shows a history graph

Hovering over the graph gives you the time interval of the graph:

I have to agree with Dirk (@duittenb) on his assessment. I too run HS4 and HA in parallel and, for me, it’s much easier to find what I’m looking for in HS4 using the Devices location/location2 sorts and categories then it is to scroll through almost 700 entities on the default overview page. I know I can make as many custom pages as I wish, I just don’t think I should have to do that just to make HA usable.

1 Like

It would be nice to have the capabilities of Homeseer’s devices page in Home Assistant’s entities view. Until that (ever) happens, the ‘Search entities’ field allows you to quickly cull the herd based on text-matching. The same can be done in the Developer Tools > States view.

The following example isn’t meant to be a perfect substitute for Homeseer’s devices page but simply to demonstrate how you can use templating and the Markdown card to present desired information in a tabular format.

This lists temperature sensors (but the template can be designed to select almost anything):

|Name|Area|State|Last Changed|
|:----|:----|:----:|:----|
{% for e in states.sensor
   | selectattr('attributes.device_class', 'eq', 'temperature') -%}
 |{{e.name}}|{{area_name('e.entity_id')}}|{{e.state}}|{{e.last_changed.timestamp() | timestamp_local}}|
{% endfor %}

Screenshot of a markdown card’s configuration:

Another example of this technique can be found here. It shows recently triggered automations.

1 Like

I thought mentioning the Search Entities and Search Devices fields in their respective pages was too obvious. No need to scroll through 700 devices when a text search using these fields can narrow down what you’re looking for. The use of templates as mentioned above is also a nice solution. If you are looking for a page exactly like the HS3 Devices page…you won’t find it…but you could always open a Feature Request.

Homeseer’s devices page was very convenient and at first, hard to do without but I’ve found a very useful replacement. If you’re on a device with a keyboard, you can press “e” from many pages and it pops up an entities modal where you can search. Super useful and although not the same as the HS device page, most everything “device” related is done in HA with entities and this provides quick access.

I agree, I just use the entity filter when you press e. Mostly some room information is already in my names anyway.

Pressing “e” on the Overview page pops up a universal search box.

New HS4 convert here too… I have HA and HS in parallel and moved all automation to HA with HS only being the z-wave interface for now (Z-Net). Ordered a Aeotec Gen5+ stick and will play around with that and cut a few over to see how well it performs.

on the homeseer integration, few questions I can’t seem to figure out:

1. RGB - is there any way to somehow map this in HA? I have many devices that can change colors. One example, I have an Aeotec Smart Plug with the square’ish light ring plugged in by the back door, when alarm is set it turns red, alarm disarmed it turns green. I had to edit the actual Z-wave device in HS (controls, and set each R/G/B channel as an independent “switch” to achieve this).

2. Energy devices, I have a bunch of switches that report energy, plugs and other things and would like to utilize the HA energy stuff. I found some articles and created some templates to sort of map data from sensors.

3. still learning the whole Devices vs. Entities and how they are mapped from the homeseer interface. This has been a challenge.

4. Envisalink DSC, got this moved over to HA natively but struggled at first with automations based on trigger events. This is where HS shines. “devices and child devices” in HS seems to have identified “selections” in the events. In HA automations, there is a lot of work to find what the actual “states” are. Example is the Envisilnk sensors (door) if I want to trigger on these I had to learn to trigger on “on” or “off”. This was not so clear as on the dashboards the cards show “opened” “closed”.

Overall… I love the HA world. Things that have really shined… Geofencing with the native HA iOS app. This was SUPER simple compared to anything in the HS world.

Thanks,
mike

Welcome Mike. I’ve actually been moving my production Z-Net between HomeSeer and HA for testing, and so far that’s been working fine. When the family is in for the night I just disable the Z-Net interface in HomeSeer and connect it to HA as a virtual serial interface. It takes a while for HA to interrogate all the devices after startup, but 99% are recognized and controllable. My irrigation controller isn’t recognized. You have to export the S0 keys and add them to HA. I’ve documented the process if anyone is interested in trying. :grinning:

oh wow! that is interesting! Could you share how you configured the virtual serial interface?

I’ve not heard anyone doing that and being able to move it back and forth between platforms… would make the final cutover migration simple and not need the zStick.

I am finding that HA does not recognize Aeotec RGB devices properly and doesn’t have native control over the RGB channels… at least for my “Aeotec Smart Dimmer 6” with the RGB rings (with zwaveJS integration, not the homeseer integration).

Zwavejs2mqtt is your friend. This allows you to use tcp://x.x.x.x:2001 as the serial port. I did this for my migration going back and forth. You have to make sure that the HS Zwave plugin is disabled first before you can use in HA.

New HS refugee here (well trying to make that determination). I’ve installed HA on a Windows Hyper-V using the provided image. Successfully added a few integrations custom and otherwise.

I really like HomeSeer, and if it wasn’t for a major Event Engine and Virtual Device bug that has gone unfixed for several months I don’t think I would be looking for alternatives.

I’m VERY impressed at what HA has to offer, even though there seems to be a lot more resistance (IE things that should work out of the box, but don’t) to creating a functional solution.

The latest, and most difficult hurdle to overcome is USB. I realize this is not an HA issue, but more of an OS application for me (Windows 10 Host, Running HA in a Hyper-V).

I have several USB devices (MySensors, APC UPS, RFX) that cannot be seen by HA. I’ve have tried several free methods without success, and really don’t want to spend a bunch of money in paid solutions to allow USB Passthrough if at all possible.

What are my options for (USB Devices) success in the least amount of resistance?

TIA

What you will find is most people using Hyper-V also use a low power device (raspberry pi or thin client) with linux loaded (rasbian or debian) and the USB devices plug into this. I do this as well for my proxmox setup. Technically it’s not necessary but I’ve found it’s better to separate the integrations that use USB to a separate device so they can maintain connection while the main home automation server reboots.

Then you need to find if the home assistant integration can communicate over IP or if it needs a local agent installed on the low power device.

Here’s what I did.
Basically, you use ser2net for MySensors and RFX. It’s the same utility HS uses for the Z-Net to transcode serial to IP. Works very well and is extremely reliable. I’ve actually gone away from RFXtrx due to long standing reliability issues that were present with HS. Now use rtl433 loaded on the low power device with an rtlsdr sending MQTT to HA.

For APC UPS, use NUT instead and load it on the low power device. The HA integration for nut communicates with this via IP. I also do this with zwaveJS2mqtt and node-red; they are installed directly on the low power device.

Everything works very well. I have both my main home automation server, which runs proxmox and LXC’s for everything (HA, Frigate, etc.), reboot weekly along with the low power device. Just be sure to have the low power device reboot first, then the main automation server after. Probably not necessary to have it do this so often but learned this long ago when managing large networks.

Doing this I’ve been able to completely remove windows. Used Frigate to replace Blueiris and since HA is natively linux, windows isnt needed for HomeSeer either. My main home automation server runs at about 2% CPU utilization running 20+ containers while doing time machine backups for my Mac.

All of the info to do this can be found in this forum. Might have to google some of it but everyone here is very friendly and helpful just as the HomeSeer forums were.

1 Like

Thank you for the great information. Have to really think about this as the solution seems quite involved.

Are there any other Windows 10 VM systems that can easily provide USB Pass-through to HA?

Virtualbox allows USB passthrough. I’m running HASS on Virtualbox under Windows 10 along with HomeSeer.

Just curious, what did you mean by things that should work out of the box but don’t?

1 Like

Practically any hypervisor except hyper-v supports USB pass through. VMware is another good example.

Thanks for the information. Which of the VM solutions is preferred for HA?

Most present on my mind: (Things that don’t work out of box)

On the HA Cloud page, there is a" TTS Try" box, and even though I have signed up for the trial cloud account (that has been working great), TTS’s will not work there.

TTS: Alexa speakers returns an error message something about you need a media player (which I had to perform an additional install of a mini client, which only works in that client).

TTS: Chromecast Audio speakers tests also doesn’t work anywhere in HA (Music files work fine). Logs indicate can’t find some file (still working on this one)

One would expect that if you’re going to have a “Try It” out function it would work. :stuck_out_tongue: