Hello from a HomeSeer HS4 Refugee

There’s still a lot of misinformation and confusion after the shakeup of name changes and introduction of “core”. I’ve not followed as closely as I should I suppose with the naming as I already just used the manual install on a vm via the venv route or used hassbian which was the previous rpi install before HASSIO which is now the preferred install I guess.

I have been looking to keep my z-wave devices in HS and utilize HA for a nice front end. So I was glad to find this thread regarding the homeseer component.

I setup the configuration and I have all of my light switches and some battery powered devices (motion sensors) in HA, but all my door/window sensors were not brought over. I changed the naming scheme back to sensor binary thinking that may be the cause but that didn’t fix the issue. Is the component checking on restart for new items in HS? Has anyone run into this issue before?

Hi @justin2,

Welcome to the party. It’s actually the ‘pyhs3’ library that’s doing the heavy lifting. The code is looking at the “Device Type (String)” for every HS device for a match. Here’s a list of the currently supported devices in pyhs3, although the updated homeseer component that supports all of those isn’t released yet.

DEVICE_ZWAVE_BARRIER_OPERATOR = "Z-Wave Barrier Operator"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_BATTERY = "Z-Wave Battery"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_CENTRAL_SCENE = "Z-Wave Central Scene"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_DOOR_LOCK = "Z-Wave Door Lock"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_FAN_STATE = "Z-Wave Fan State"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_LUMINANCE = "Z-Wave Luminance"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_OPERATING_STATE = "Z-Wave Operating State"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_RELATIVE_HUMIDITY = "Z-Wave Relative Humidity"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SENSOR_BINARY = "Z-Wave Sensor Binary"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH = "Z-Wave Switch"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH_BINARY = "Z-Wave Switch Binary"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL = "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_TEMPERATURE = "Z-Wave Temperature"

If you want to help me test the latest code, you can clone branch ‘additional-sensors’ from my fork here: https://github.com/kmitch95120/homeseer.

Note that this code has not yet been merged into Mark’s repo. Make sure you take a look at the README.md file as the way entity naming (i.e. location_names) works has changed significantly.

EDIT: Yes, new HS devices will be picked up and added automatically by a restart.

Thanks for the information Ken.

I cloned your branch and for the most part everything is working well.
I can see Luminance, Humidity, and Temperature get pulled in from the sensors.
I can now edit entity names from the UI which is nice.

The only odd thing I noticed is that my Jasco dimmers got reclassified from lights to switches, but my Homeseer dimmers stayed as lights.

What’s the Device Type String of the Jasco Dimmers? Compare it to the Homeseer dimmers.

@justin2, Did you ever get this figured out? I’m curious if I introdocued a bug in the component with my changes.

The device string was just a z-wave switch. I added Multilevel at the end and they were reclassified as lights. Thanks for the help.

Great. Glad to hear it’s working for you. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t break anything with my changes.

Hi all. I see quite a few familiar usernames in here as I too am coming over from Homseer after a long time of using it. Like you , I want to keep HS3 as my Z-wave hub as I have many switches and am trying to configure the marthoc plugin, but I keep getting a connection error. I have checked and re-checked the IP address, username and password several times so I don’t know what I am missing. After installing and restarting HA I keep getting an error message stating that the connection failed. See the attachment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Andy (@ando1),

It doesn’t look like you have ASCII Remote control enabled. Go to Tools->Setup, Network tab, Remote Control Settings and make sure both JSON and ASCII control is enabled.

Thanks Ken. I actually do have it enabled as I am also running homebridge that also uses it. To make sure there was no conflict, I shut down the homebridge server but still get the error. I noticed it seems to be using python, do I need to install it on the HA server? Just to be clear I am running the HA virtual appliance.

Can you add the following lines to your configuration.yaml file and restart HA?

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    homeassistant.core: debug
    asyncio: debug
    custom_components.homeseer: debug
    pyhs3: debug

This should give us plenty of data to look at. Once you collect the logfile, you’ll want to change the ‘debug’ back to ‘info’ otherwise your log will grow quickly.

EDIT: Even simpler, you can telnet to 192.168.9.212:11000 and see what you get back.

1 Like

Well I did get it connected but there is some strange behavior on the HS3 system. I happened to notice that my homebridge server was also failing to connect to the ASCII port so I unchecked the box on the HS3 system and both HB and HA systems are now connecting. Seem that the HS3 UI might be out of sync with what the actual setting is. I am now getting connection messages in HA but do not see any entities.

I am also moving to Home Assistant from HomeSeer. The botched HS4 upgrade has put me off completely. I won’t be upgrading from HS3 to HS4.

I used to think that the HSTouch Designer was the jewel in the crown and most of my wall panels still use that. Right now though after some research I believe that Home Assistant can make my panels much better. I used to gloss over the fact that HSTouch Designer was a complete clunker but now I can’t support all the bugs not getting fixed. HS4 brings a new admin ui which I really don’t need once everything is up and running. What I need is front end ui. HS4 is the answer to a problem that I don’t have and I don’t believe it is sustainable. I’m amazed at some of the layouts people have come up with in Home Assistant.

Anyway…

The point of this post is to ask what kind of problems people are having converting from HS3 Z-Wave over to Home Assistant. I have completely cut over. Almost every device had a “procedure” to get it to work in Home Assistant. HS3 just worked Z-Wave which I did appreciate. That said I’m cut over and can help anyone that needs it. It seems sucha shame to run HS3 just for Z-Wave.

The devices I had to find fixes for in Home Assistant were
Ecolink Motion Detector
Linear (Nortek Security Control LLC) WAPIRZ-1 Motion Sensor
AEON Labs ZW089 Recessed Door Sensor Gen5
ZP3111 Multisensor 4in1

fyi I tried all of the Z-Wave options in Home Assistant including the two mqtt ones. I came back to the native Z-Wave one as it was the most stable for me. I hate though that my Z-Wave network goes down when I restart Home Assistant.

Some of my panels are amazon Fire 7" / 8" which have a really old built in browser that does not support alot of newer web functionality. I had to wipe those and put LinearOS on them instead of FireOS. So much better now.

@ando1,

If you aren’t getting any entities created, take a look at the Device Type (String) list I posted above and make sure the HS3 devices you want to come over match EXACTLY to one of those strings.

Welcome @VPC. The main reason I’m sticking with HS3 for Z-WAve is because my Z-Wave interface is a Z-NET controller and, as far as I know, isn’t supported in HA (yet). A secondary reason is because I have a fairly large Z-Wave network that’s running rock solid with HS3 and I don’t want to mess with it right now.

I also have a number of HSTouch panels that I want to move to HA. Unfortunately, it will probably be several months before I’ll have time to work on the HA UI.

[quote=“kenm, post:96, topic:181820”]
large Z-Wave network that’s running rock solid with HS3 and I don’t want to mess with it right now. [/quote]

I hear that. Mine is quite large too. I have 64 nodes migrated over right now. In order to migrate over and still maintain approval factor I purchased a second Z-Wave stick. I moved devices over in batches and got the automations written over on Home Assistant for things I moved over. I still have 4 water sensors to bring over and a few other straggler devices.

My procedure was to remove node in HomeSeer then add node in Home Assistant. For the first of each kind of device I got my naming standards documented so that the entity ids in Home Assistant were easy to work with. For things that HomeSeer still had to know about I used MQTT to push over to virtual devices in HS3.

I believe I read somewhere that the Z-NET is a ser2net raspberry pi. Good call on not trying to get that into Home Assistant without an integration for it.

I actually had it working for a while today but not sure what I did to get it working. Then I had to reboot HA and lost all the switches again. Here is an example of one of my switches. It does match one of the device types you posted.

Now I am just getting messages saying it is unsupported:

@kenm I am all set now. I built a new HA system running on a docker VM and all the HS3 switches and scenes are showing up without issues now. The system I was running before was the VMDK that I installed on my ESXi host so I am not sure why it had issues. Either way all is good!

Glad to hear you’re up and running.