Hello from a HomeSeer HS4 Refugee

Nice to see you here @dbrunt.

Testing running Tileboard on a Joggler running Ubuntu / Chrome. Tried it just now with Firefox on Embedded XP and it worked well.

I am familiar with ‘joggers’ but WTH is a Joggler?? Does it help with old age memory loss??

Hi Pete, welcome !
Curious to hear what functionality you’re missing in HA that HS is currently filling in ?

I am interested in the gaps as well. My HS3 is currently off and I am now only using Home Assistant. I do have an HS4 license though. What am I missing out on?

Bugs. Plenty of bugs :wink:

But seriously, I would very much like to know. I had a very extensive system in HS3 (also have HS4 license), but I can’t list one thing I miss. For some the Zwave had better support, but I am having no issues with OpenZwave.

1 Like

I am familiar with ‘joggers’ but WTH is a Joggler?? Does it help with old age memory loss??

The Joggler was made by Openpeak and sold by a few Telcos for video VOIP touchscreen devices and (Cisco, Avaya, Verizon) and energy thermostat touchscreens.

Inside of the device made before it’s time was a Gb NIC, WLAN / Bluetooth, Gorilla Touchscreen. It was cloud connected back in 2009. It is Intel Atom based.

I am in to hardware tinkering here and modded it a bit with an SSD drive, clock and using multiple OS’s on it. IE: Linux, iOS, Android and Windows embedded.

Today using them mostly as Squeezebox players (native Linux) and Homeseer Touchscreens (running embedded windows). ~ 15 of them.

Primary Homeseer automation here is used with my in wall UPB power line switches. I have not had a problem with these. (also test ZWave - via a ZNet like device and Zigbee). Now playing with WiFi switches updated with Tasmota and or Espurna firmware and only utilize the devices with MQTT HA and Homeseer. No issues to date. Mostly using Homeseer 3 right now and testing Homeseer 4 on two new hardware devices.

Homeseer 3 has been tested on an Octocore S912 chipset Armbian computer and lately now on an Intel mini quad core computer. Today combining Homeseer 3, Home Assistant, Mosquitto broker, Mono, Node Red and Oracle Virtual box on said tiny Intel computer. No issues with Homeseer 3.

I take no pleasure in saying this, but I may end up having to use HS3/4 as my Z-Wave controller for a while and see about possibly using one of the MQTT plug-ins as a bridge to HA. After having to bring up my 80 node network at least 3 times now, the spousal acceptance factor is beginning to fade fast; never mind my reluctance to keep doing it.

Things seem to work pretty good at first, but eventually things go south quickly and without warning. I thought that I had isolated my issues to some Enerwave metered outlets, and they were indeed a problem with both ozw v1.4 and v1.6, but even with those out of the picture, it’s just not a workable solution for the time being. I can handle the occasional wonkiness and some “known issues”, but more often than not for the last month, I simply haven’t had a usable network.

Have you looked at the node graph? Are your devices connected securely? Did you re-include all devices while moving from HS to HA ?

I bought a Zooz ZST10 specifically to use with HA. And so my initial move was to ozw 1.4. I did an exclude, followed by a secure include for all of the devices. When I ran into some big problems was about the time that the ozw beta addon based on ozw 1.6 became generally available. I started clean with the beta addon - reset the ZST controller and again exclude followed by include.

@SentryBot2281 - I hear ya Dave. Take a look at the homeseer custom component for HA in addition to MQTT. It uses the pyhs3 library to listen on the ASCII interface of HS3 and controls devices using JSON. but you don’t even need to know how it works to use it. The component creates entities that represent all (most of) the Z-Wave devices in your HS3 setup. If you find a device type it doesn’t support, it can always be added to pyhs3 and thus the component.

Had some problems with secure inclusion here too in the begin. Than switched to insecure (who bothers for lights anyways …), and had no problems since.

I know it has been a while since you mentioned this, but just FYI HA now supports running off of SSD drives; both pi3 and pi4. So the sd wear thing is no longer an issue for HA. So if a pi is enough power, no sense in burning more amps for fear of sd card failures. :wink:

Amazingly - and I’m not entirely certain why, my network sprang to life today. But hey, easy come easy go. I’ll likely be taking that custom component for a spin before too long.

What seemed to have brought back my network was deleting the HA user account the broker was using, create a new non-admin account for mqtt, shut down my Pi just in case power cycling the Zooz USB adapter would be helpful, and finally PoE cycled the switch port. I got distracted by my daughter and forgot about the entire thing until I began receiving Pushover notifications on my phone for the garage door being left open, things like that.

@truglodite - Thanks! Good to know. Since the host that was running my VM instance of HA crashed last night I’ll be looking at new options.

Hehe hey guys, a lot of familiar names here, i am also in the process of maybe migrating to Ha from HS3. Still have a lot to do but have almost eveey device migrated now but using a secondary zwave controller in my ha system. But thinking of using indeed mqtt to send the zwave data over to ha.

But still have some things i miss or Strugle with.

For starters my setup in hs3

Consist of almost 2000 devices and 800 events…
70 zwave nodes 75 zigbee (including hues) and so on.

Some ui things that i do with hstouch are hard to mimic with ha

And so on. But mostly also that im not fond of linux and yaml programming :wink:

But love the integration possibilities and will use the systems for now next to each other using mqtt to bridge.

Bart

2 Likes

Another familiar face :slight_smile: Welcome !

What are you struggling with in HA that was ‘easy’ in HSTouch ?
I also had a lot of events (not as much as you), but i greatly reduced the number by switching to NodeRed. I had over 10 automations only for triggering lights based on different conditions. That is all modeled in 1 automation now as a statemachine.

1 Like

I use one hstouch instance as control panel for my bedroom and as a alarmclock. Which gets dark when sleeping and only displaying time.

Next tonthat i use a lot of screen on top functions to display doorbel, rain events and or display if the washer runs etc.

The doorbel rain event i can mimic with the browsermod solution but the other ones would be very complicated.

And i still need to get used to using automation for very complex events that i have in hs and sometimes use scripts as wel.

Btw main reason for me is an issue i have with hs3 which i cant pinpoint. My cpu sometimes go high and stays high untill i restart hs. Its not events or plugins its purely the hs3 exe. But cant pinpoint why and no help from hs what so ever

Browsermod is indeed the way to go. You could use the conditional card for showing only the time, given a set of conditions.

Give a shout when you need help with NodeRed. Once you get started, the sky is the limit.