HELP - Hassio is DEAD after power outage

I found my snapshots with the ‘snapshots’ command (btw: don’t prefix anything with ‘hassio’, even though it lists it that way in the help - its doesn’t work).
But how do I get them off the SD card so I can rebuild this ‘thing’?

I’m sorry, but this product is Retarded.
It totally craps out from a power outage.
You can’t log in with SSH
If you had already set up ROOT SSH access, you can’t do sh1t with it.
Snapshots are totally NOT accessible on the SD card.
So you are basically screwed if anything goes wrong. And its been my experience over the past 3 months that it Goes.Wrong.Often.
This product isn’t even Alpha at this point.
definitely not worth a dime, or any time spent on it.
Ban me, I don’t care. No one should have to deal with this level if BS from ANY product - free or otherwise.

I don’t have this issue, nor do 1000’s of others. It is not the fault of HA.

@sparkydave has tried to help you, but your lack of willingness to spend some time to problem solve makes the product “retarded”? You only initially posted 40mins ago, everyone isn’t just sitting around waiting to help you, and you are far less likely to get anymore help with this sort of attitude.

Have you taken a backup of your system, i.e. Snapshot, and saved it somewhere safe? If so, wipe the SD card of your RasPi (assuming that is what you are using) re-flash HA and restore the snapshot. That will take all of about 20mins to complete and you’ll be back up and running.

You’re right, it’s far beyond Alpha and close to a 1.x RC

This is not the case at all, if you are experiencing a large number of issues, it’s a hardware problem, or, more likely your configuration.

Don’t blame the product, take some time to investigate your problem, stop being a reactionary brat.

As @kanga_who has already said, you are seriously overreacting. The system is rock solid IF you care to know:
a) How to code it correctly and CHECK YOUR CONFIG, BEFORE RESTARTING
b) Setup a method for accessing the files. ie: SSH, Samba
c) Setup / Enable Snapshot saving to another device / cloud storage (which HassIO has add-ons for)

You have clearly failed to do these things and are acting pathetic because you caused your own mess. I’m guessing by your rant that you aren’t very old, or at least don’t act it. GROW UP!

This software is FREE and works perfectly for thousands of people. If you have only been using it for three months then hopefully you haven’t lost too much IF you still can’t get to your Snapshots / config files. Given that you are able to use the CLI to find the Snapshots, surely you can figure out how to transfer them off to another device. Since you have been so friendly in your post, I don’t see you getting much help in doing so

I also had a power outage yesterday and the result was not nice.
After the power was back on everything seems to work ok in home assistant, but hassio is broken.
When trying to access the Hassio menu in sidebar I get an error saying “Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.” and in the logs I can see a lot of 403 errors.

2019-05-21 19:33:29 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] /homeassistant/options return code 403.
2019-05-21 19:33:29 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] /supervisor/options return code 403.
2019-05-21 19:33:29 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] /homeassistant/info return code 403.
2019-05-21 19:33:29 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio] Can't read last version: 
2019-05-21 19:33:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] /ingress/panels return code 403.
2019-05-21 19:33:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.addon_panel] Can't read panel info: 
2019-05-21 19:33:39 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] /discovery return code 403.
2019-05-21 19:33:39 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.discovery] Can't read discover info: 

Strage this is that some addons are working, like Configurator, zigbee2mqtt, mqtt broker, but others are not working, like ssh server which kinda locks me outside.

Anyone has any idea how to fix these errors?

Generally a reboot will solve these sorts of things.

I always find after a power outage that some of my items can reboot and connect to WiFi before HA boots, and some don’t. The ones that are too slow do not get seen/loaded by HA, and throw errors. I then need to reboot.

Easy way around this is to create a simple automation that sends you a pushbullet / telegram / other message app to alert you that you HA has rebooted. You can then check everything has loaded and if not, perform a reboot.

I’ve tried rebooting but didn’t fixed the problem. HA works, Hass does not and I have the same errors in the log with 403 error code for some files. Also, any service that is related to hassio, like start / restart addon, restore snaphot, etc does not work and give just a dummy error "Error on Hass.io API: " without any further info.

The likely issue is a corrupted SD card or partially dead card. This isn’t a problem with Hassio. If the power dies while the SD card is being written to, this will corrupt the data, and could lead to unable to boot. A cheap SD card can also lead to sectors dying, which will make your pi unbootable.

Ways to prevent SD card corruption/death.

1. Use a QUALITY SD Card. This will reduce likelyhood of card dying during general use.
  2. Run it off a UPS. You can get a UPS HAT for the Pi that you should be able to monitor the GPIO and run an automation to safely shutdown the Pi.

Another possible cause is the history database getting so large that the Pi can’t boot. I’ve had that - I had poorly configured it not to prune the database.

Addons are all in their own docker container. Each one runs independently, including hassio. That’s why some work and some don’t. Chances are, the ones that don’t will need to be reinstalled as something got corrupted. Just as a word of warning, whenever you cut power to any device during a write, you will corrupt said device if the write has not finished. It’s luck of the draw. The only recourse for corruptions is re-installation or deleting the configuration. Sometimes both is required, although re-installation is typically rare.

1 Like

it’s not a problem to reinstall the addons, but first I need to make hassio work again. Any idea how can I reinstall / fix hassio without a complete reinstall?

if you can get in with SSH, you can attempt to downgrade or upgrade hassio. That may fix the problems. This link has the correct syntax for SSH upgrade/downgrade to specific versions.

You should also make sure to have periodic snapshots or use a repository to store your configuration.

1 Like

@DaHai you need to learn how to control your temper. No one here is obligated to help you. When you make posts like this, all the people who are very versed in the software will ignore you. You’ve only been on this forum for 3 months and this is the second time you’ve littered a thread with swearing and complaining. Maybe open source home automation isn’t for you.

2 Likes

This worked! I downgraded to 0.93 because I already had the latest version.
Thanks for your help!

Nice, now you should be able to upgrade and all will be well. Make sure you get a snapshot and put it on a different computer!

1 Like

similar problem. could not do much in CLI

for me it was some SPECIAL CHARACTERS in automation.yaml that killed the running then boot of HA.

for me:

1. SMB into the virtual box instal of HA. root user. same password setup in SMB. you obviously need to install SMB right away when core install. SMB seems to get setup and run very early in the boot (which is great/smart) ensuring you can have access to your .YAML files and .LOG.

2. checked the ha log (.LOG file)

3. find your problem :wink:

I have the same problem, I am using ssd with latest version of HA. SSH not working, any other solutions?

Have you had a similar problem in the past ?
Any clues in the log ?

Yes had same problem before but was using sd card, every time had to re-install hassOS, logs seem normal

Are you using recommended rPi power supply ?

I had the same issues with SD cards and finally upgraded to USB HDD to try and resolve the issue.
It didn’t :sob:. Still the system was unable to boot randomly after restarts or upgrades.

Only recently realised that I was using an old Samsung phone charger to power my pi.
Upgraded to a recommended power supply and haven’t had any issues since.

yes 2.5A (PRi 3 b+) CanaKit power supply
https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Premium-Clear-Supply/dp/B07BC7BMHY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=CRQL9OATRJW2&dchild=1&keywords=raspberry+pi+3&qid=1602071029&sprefix=raspberry+pi+3+%2Caps%2C-1&sr=8-5