Help me move from supervised to core/docker containers

Yeah, you are probably running quite some add-ons currently :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Currently I’m running HA Supervised where I can easily see if there is an update to the supervisor addons I use. When I move to Core and install the addin containers myself, how do I know if one of the addon containers has been updated…similarly, is there a way to look at the supervisor addin “store” just to review what’s there that I might want to add to a new container?

You have to keep track of, manage and update the docker containers yourself, either at the command line, through portainer, or with an update management program like watchtower. You can check the dockerhub to see if there is an update available.

There is not, there will be no supervisor screen or addon store. I have a supervised home assistant install in a windows vm that I occasionally check to see what’s there. You can also monitor the addon github pages.

Official addons

Community addons

Usually the official docker version of a program is updated before the addon version anyway.

I use what’s up docker to check for updates of my containers.

And then I have an automation that notifies my about updates → smart-home-setup/system_monitoring.yaml at 896d1f09bfd7059681f7b0b0f1935159dd12b512 · Burningstone91/smart-home-setup · GitHub

Personally I don’t use the latest tag but use version tags instead as I like to read first what has been changed before I update the container. As sometimes you need to adjust the config (e.g. MQTT when it was update to version 2.x).

The other points have been covered, there’s no add-on store, you can install every docker container you want. You can take a look at the addons and then just use the underlying docker cobtainer that they use.

Anyone tried to move from supervised to core/container? I’m already created the docker compose stack for my required containers.

Just wondering will it work if I just point my home Asistant container to the config directory of the current supervised installation coding directory. Anyone has experience on this?

I’ve never done it but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

but be aware that there are a LOT of things in the Supervised folder that won’t be needed in your docker install.

No addon support so anything that is addon you will need to install in seperate docker container or replace service and readd integration

Thanks for the input, am aware that those addons won’t work, my setup is super messy over years of tinkering.

Decided to install a separate instance and slowly move over the devices.