Help needed from Zwave "experts"

Ok, maybe not experts but anyone more knowledgeable than me. Which isn’t too hard. :wink:

I posted about this in another thread but it didn’t get me anywhere so I thought I’d give it another try.

I bought a Aeotec zwave water sensor. It paired OK. and when I dip it in water the OZW log in HA shows that it is receiving data from the sensor.

The problem is that none of the entities that are created when the device was paired show any change in state.

I’ve never had anything like this happen before with my other zwave devices. they have all pretty much worked as soon as they paired.

Can anyone help with anything I can do to try to troubleshoot this issue? I can post up any information you may need to help with this.

Did you use “Add Node Secure” when you added to the network? I’ve found that some devices don’t report correctly if they weren’t added securely.

It sounds like you’ve already discovered this, but some sensors will have both binary_sensor and sensor entities, so be sure to look for both. I have devices with binary_sensor entities that don’t change, but the sensor entities do.

SOunds like the device needs to be configured. What configuration options do you have, if you select the device in the zwave control panel?

The documentation says it supports security and I’ve tried it both ways with the same results.

it has the following options (options) (current value):

sensor binary report toggle (normal, inverse) (normal)
wake up on power on (enable, disable) (disable)
basic set toggle (normal, inverse) (normal)
report type to send (1-battery, 4-binary sensor, 8-basic set, 12-alarm) (256)

the above info for the report type is obtained from the help info for the parameter:

ex

i’m not sure how the “bitsets” relate to the integer value to enter into the config.

0x100 = 256 & 0x1011=4113 but I don’t see how that corresponds to what it says in the help entry.

I’ve tried to change it but it doesn’t take even after waking it up.

I would try putting 4113 into the config parameter, so you get a binary report.

I have sometimes had trouble setting the config parameters on my devices, but usually it works after a few tries and pushing the tamper button to wake it up.

I seem to be stuck at this point.

There is a “wake up” button on the sensor. when I push it the LED comes on for 10 minutes as the docs say it should. But HA never sees it as “awake”. If i restart HA after I wake it up (using the button on the device) as soon as the HA Zwave network starts up (most things showing as “ready”) the devices LED goes off immediately and doesn’t let the 10 minutes wake up mode expire.

No matter what I do with the “wake up” button every time I try to make a change the log says that the command is qued due to device sleeping.

For completeness…

I finally figured out how to get the stupid thing into programming mode. There was a recent post about it here:

I put 4113 into the “report type” and now everything works.

I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work with the basic set that set alarm_level from the device to 255 but, hey, it works now.