Help needed with camera.play_stream and apple tv

hey there:)
im trying to get the play_stream service to push my camera to my apple tv -i use the apple tv beta component from hacs - but it wont work only flippi g for a short time to a black window, showing that the service call tries to push in but after 3 or 4 seconds turn back to the homescreen. anyone has experienced something similiar and knows a workaround out there?

I just figured out that you have to use the remote.turn_on service first.

# Stream the camera feed to Apple TV.
  - service: remote.turn_on
    entity_id: remote.apple_tv_family_room
  - service: camera.play_stream
    data:
      entity_id: camera.front_door
      media_player: media_player.apple_tv_family_room
2 Likes

thanks for your help, but that doesnt work here=( if i first run the remote.turn_on and after that the play_stream same behaviour is happening as befor turns black for nearly 5 seconds than back to atv screen

Trying to revive this again because i haven’t found a solution yet:

When sending the command camera.play_stream with entity and mediaplayer set the apple tv turns for a short time black, like he’s getting the data but returns to the overview without showing the stream.

i tried this mentioned trick with remote.turn_on bevor starting the play_stream, but this doesn’t chaned anything also tried to set an internal_url to resolve this like mentioned on github somewhere, but that doesnt worked as well.

so if there is someone outside having a running stream to apple tv setup please feedback me that there must be a way to go so my search isn’t pointless. Also if anyone has a simple solution, i would be grateful!

1 Like

I have the same problem with my Apple TV 2. Generation. My Apple TV only plays the stream for about 2 seconds and this every time so I guess the problem must be at the home assistant side. I also tried the remote.turn_on and nothing changed.
Hopefully there is a solution because this is a very cool feature!!

In the latest release the service for the stream had changed - i had to adapt the call and now it seems to work

1 Like

ok thank you for your quick response!!

I gave up on this long ago. But I now have an ONVIF compliant camera at my front door. I used the Server Developer Tool to build the following working code. This works on my Apple TV 4K.

service: camera.play_stream
target:
  entity_id: camera.doorbell
data:
  media_player: media_player.apple_tv_family_room
2 Likes

is this code still working ? i cant get it to work on my appleTV 4K

it comes a black screen for 3-5 seconds and than it goes back to the homescreen

It definitely hasn’t worked in a long time. Its too bad, Iike the idea of being able to see who is at the front door before getting to the door. Oh well.

It looks like the Apple TV integration is generally pretty buggy, I noticed even more. It’s a real shame

I’m trying to do the same thing: show a camera stream on the apple tv with the same result… Could this be an encoding problem? Music seems to stream just fine from HA to ATV! Those 3-5 seconds of black screen looks like the ATV tries to decode but is unsuccessful and goes back to home screen/previous screen… Does anyone know what format/encoding is necessary for ATV and what encoding does HA do?

I have the same problems - tried to stream a motion eye implemented camera from homeassistant to the apple tv 4k but i only get the black screen for 3-5 seconds.

+1. Trying on 2 ATV4’s, 1 4k, 1 non. Have tried re-encoding the RTSP with Scrypted, RSP2Web, Web2RTC… black screen for 3 secs… nada :-/

My 2 use cases are if the doorbell rings, or if the alarm is going off to display the Frigate Birdseye on all TV’s. Really hope this gets fixed, cos it was working about a year ago last I checked?

Same issue. Stream shows up on tv for 3-5 seconds and then bombs. Did anyone ever solve this?