Help needed with making Alexa speak without SSL

Is there a way to use Alexa for TTS (text to speech) without using SSL?

I still have a Vera hub running that can do some TTS via Sonos but as I’m phasing that out and building significant more interesting automations in HASS. I really would like to leverage TTS more.

p.s. I looked into the new flash briefings possibilities in HASS but as I’m using a UK Alexa in the Netherlands I somehow can’t get this to work. Not even sure this would resolve above question.

Why can’t you use SSL?

There are already so many dependencies for a stable working home automations setup that I prefer not to introduce extra ones where I don’t need to. If there is really no other way, I might (need to) go the SSL route.

I think this is what you are looking for:

Personally, I haven’t run into any compatibility or stabillity issues running Let’s Encrypt and the other third party things like AppDaemon, Harmony-API, HADashboard, etc.

There have been issue with the new flash briefing though; it doesn’t seem to accept Let’s Encrypt certs. Not sure if that’s going to be fixed (or if it can) but there was a thread on it. Folks were using nginx to get around it but for me it wasn’t worth it.

You say you haven’t run into problems running let’s encrypt and HASdashboard? Maybe you can help me I get error tring to connect to my duckdns.org behind let’s encrypt.
Errno::ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused - connect(2) for “XXXX.duck.dns.org” port 3030

Is HASS running? On what port? Is XXXX.duck.dns.org spelled correctly (hint: XXXX.duck.dns.org is probably not the same as XXXX.duckdns.org)? Does it work internally? Externally (truly externally, eg from your phone not on wifi)? Have you port forwarded correctly?

I have corrected the error I was getting. Apparently I put the port on the duck.dns.org when I shouldn’t have under the ha_config.rb. I am now trying to trace down another issue. I can toggle a switch on the hass. It shows the change on the dashboard. If I click on the dash board switch it changes color but hass does not change ant the hapush feed does not show the sent command.