Help plz : Z-wave on raspberry Pi, HA on another server

New to home automation…(and limitited linux skillz…)

I already have a server up and running, so I thought it wise so run Home Assistant as a Docker Container on my main server.

I also have a Raspberry PI (Running Raspbian Strech Lite) with a Zigbee USB stick on it.
So I got the aeotec gen5 z‑stick and figured I could run that on the same Raspberry Pi.

I installed (compilid) OpenZwave on the Raspberry Pi without any errors (I think).

So…my question is this - how do I reach the OpenZwave controller?
For the Zigbee I added the ip-adress for the raspberry Pi, but from what I gather Z-wave works differently?

Is the next obvoius step to install “open-zwave-control-panel”…?
What do I have to add to my “configuration.yaml”?

Any help / links appreciated. :slight_smile:

Is there some reason you don’t just add the zstick to the main server?

As above.

Or, run a second instance of homeassistant on the raspberry pi and connect them with eventstream

Yes, the main server is located in the garage in my basement (cooler, don’t mind fans running), whereas the Raspberry Pi is located in a more centrally placed cabinet (without ventilation). I guess I might try installing the stick in the basement and hope that the z-wave meshing ability is good enough to cover the entire house. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Aha, I might try this too. I wasn’t aware of this possibility. Thanks!

I haven’t tried the MQTT Eventstream myself to offer a comparison, but I’m currently doing the same thing with USB over IP following this thread: RPi as Z-Wave/ZigBee-over-IP server for Hass

Curious to see which might offer the fastest response time. I have noticed the slightest of delays with the USB over IP compared to running everything off of the same server, but hasn’t been enough for me to do anything about it :stuck_out_tongue:

Once you begin to add more zwave devices, the mesh becomes more important than the location of the hub. Battery powered devices don’t contribute to the mesh, just hard wired devices.

Ok, I went for this approach (adding the z-stick to my server in the garage), and after a bit of trial and error I’m up and running.

My next step will be adding a couple of hard wired devices (sensors in my case) to expand the z-wave network.

Many thanks!

Just to add a little here. You can easily install Homeassistant to the Raspberry Pi and move your configuration and stick should things not be as you hope. Think of Z-wave devices as line-of-site. The radio signals don’t penetrate great globs of wall, furniture etc. Be prepared to experiment with placement. Sensors are often battery powered. If these devices are USB powered make sure are really always on and can relay signals.