HELP! Restore from backup caused both Studio Code Server and File Editor to fail!

Are you sure you have reinstalled a full backup and not just a partial?
Open your backup file with a program like 7-zip to see what is in it.

Yes I am. Well, I tried both.

Resolved (but not solved)

Blow me down, after alternately banging my head against a brick wall and panicking for 48 hours the problem went away on its own! :clap: :partying_face:

Well, presumably not quite, but the only thing I did in the 12 hours before it resolved itself was a shutdown because I had to turn off the mains to do some unrelated electrical work. My best guess is that there is some kind of difference between “restarting” the system from within HA, and shutting it down and then starting it?

I still do not know what caused it in the first place (something to do with restoring backups?), or why a shutdown and start again is different from a restart – and I don’t feel like reproducing the problem to test this theory (!) – but if it happens again, that is the first thing I will try.

Both the backup restore and restart vs shutdown deficiencies are still serious because this is an installation I usually manage remotely for someone else. To execute a shutdown and start I need to be on site. Therefore I no longer dare implement any update remotely because I now know that I cannot rely on restoring a backup remotely if something goes wrong.

There is certainly a difference between “Restart Home Assistant” (like under Developer Tools) and “Restart the host” (Settings > System > Hardware > Reboot System). And problems related to Add-ons not running after a restore are commonly resolved by a “Restart the host”. :wink:
This is the reason I’ve asked that before:

But as I understood you have tried that without success, right?

At least we all learned something new. :wink:

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Many of my add-one refuse to load, including File Editor and Studio Code Server. Oddly, although File Editor says it can’t restart, it actually seems to be running (it replaced the Terminal)

All of my automations are still running, but at some point last night I lost the ability to access the server from both the app and a browser.

I will try restarting the Yellow sometime this morning. My original plan was to do a factory reset and load my latest backup. I may still do that even if it works after the restart, as I feel there may be other underlying issues not noticeable.

UPDATE: I shut down the Yellow using the blue button, disconnected the power source for a few minutes then restarted. It is running, the automations are working, but I still have no access to the interface through either the app or browser on my phone.

Looks like the factory reset is my only choice now. :rage:

This s not the same. The original problem on this thread was about add-ons not running after a restore, but you have a different situation, as your add-ons stopped without any relation to a restore.
I would suggest you o create another topic for this specific case.

No, this was after a restore as well.

1 Like

Ok, it seems the reason I couldn’t access the interface was that my phone has for some reason connected to my Guest wifi. It was early in the morning, so I didn’t notice at first. :man_facepalming:

Oddly, I could connect to the HA running on my Blue but not the one on the Yellow despite the fact that they’re both connected to the same network switch and the Yellow was set up using a backup from the blue a week ago and I didn’t make any changes.

Most of the add-one are now running, a few won’t start. I uninstalled one of them, but I get an error trying to reinstall.

Everything seems to be running well enough now, I will look into doing a factory reset though it’s not as immediate a concern. My only worry is that I relied on the expectation that restoring a backup would work properly, can I rely on the expectation that the factory reset will, indeed, clear all data and start with a completely fresh install?

1 Like

Ok, all is not well after all. I can’t restart because apparently “restart is “undefined”.

My system is so badly screwed up. I don’t know what to do.

EDIT: another shutdown, unplug for 15 minutes and reboot has returned the “restart” service and restored a couple other items that had broken. A few if the Add-Ons still won’t start. They say they are “missing required options”

I know how frustrating it is when a system recovery fails. Many years ago, I had a 24/7 system (not HA) down for almost a week because I could not recover a corrupted database. The commercial impact was trivial compared to our patients not getting needed medicine. Yes, I had backups, but I never tested the recovery process.

The worst time to discover your recovery plan does not work is when you need it. Don’t assume it will work - test it before you need it.

2 Likes

Same Problem even after reboot the system.
here is the log.

Any solution?

s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-banner: starting
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Add-on: Studio Code Server
 Fully featured Visual Studio Code (VSCode) experience integrated in the Home Assistant frontend.
 Add-on version: 5.8.0
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 10.3  (amd64 / qemux86-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2023.6.3
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2023.06.4
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-banner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-timezone: starting
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-log-level: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
[12:10:10] INFO: Configuring timezone (America/Santiago)...
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-log-level successfully started
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-timezone successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service init-user: starting
s6-rc: info: service init-mysql: starting
s6-rc: info: service init-mosquitto: starting
s6-rc: info: service init-code-server: starting
s6-rc: info: service init-code-server successfully started
s6-rc: info: service init-user successfully started
s6-rc: info: service code-server: starting
s6-rc: info: service code-server successfully started
[12:10:10] INFO: Starting code-server...
s6-rc: info: service init-mosquitto successfully started
s6-rc: info: service init-mysql successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
[2023-06-29T16:10:11.571Z] info  Wrote default config file to ~/.config/code-server/config.yaml
[2023-06-29T16:10:12.119Z] info  code-server 4.14.1 5c199629305a0b935b4388b7db549f77eae82b5a
[2023-06-29T16:10:12.121Z] info  Using user-data-dir /data/vscode
[2023-06-29T16:10:12.137Z] info  Using config file ~/.config/code-server/config.yaml
[2023-06-29T16:10:12.137Z] info  HTTP server listening on http://0.0.0.0:1337/
[2023-06-29T16:10:12.137Z] info    - Authentication is disabled
[2023-06-29T16:10:12.137Z] info    - Not serving HTTPS
[2023-06-29T16:10:12.138Z] info  Session server listening on /data/vscode/code-server-ipc.sock