Help Setting up Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, Z-Wave Plus usb stick

That’s why I thought the ozw_config was right:

It does contain the options.xml and many manufacturers devices.

Let me try changing the usb path to the other one and see if that works.

Current config:

# Z-Wave
zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
  config_path: /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config
1 Like

This process did work for me; maybe it could too. You might want to check out this article:

Looks like a problem with write permission.
Did you run a command like this diring setup?

sudo usermod -a -G dialout homeassistant

Regards

here is my config:

zwave:
  config_path: /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB-ZStick-5G
  network_key: "0xDE, 0xBF, 0x58, 0x7E, 0x89, 0x4A, 0x8F, 0x97, 0x93, 0x4E, 0xBA, 0xE9, 0xB8, 0x67, 0xD9, 0x61,"

iv’e modded my key above for security purposes…

and i use udev rules to keep my z stick usb path persistent.

i use hassbian on a RPi3. V0.60.1

Yes I did:

groups
homeassistant dialout
homeassistant@raspberryha:~/.homeassi

Looks similar to what I have except I haven’t pinned the usb path yet. I have a hunch that is what is wrong. I need to double check what it is connected to.

I’ve confirmed: /dev/ttyACM0 is the path by running:
ll /dev/tty*
with it plugged in and removed. I will pin it with udev once I get it working the first time.

I also tried changing the ozw_config directory and contents perms to 755 from 544 and that also didn’t work.

1 Like

i’m sorry i’m all out at this point.

I figured it out reading some other topics. I had to enable serial in raspi-config. After doing that and rebooting. Home assistant recognized it.

Thanks for your help everyone. I will catalog the steps in one comment later for anyone following after.

Just as a follow up for those coming after.

This is how I got it working:

1. Enable serial interface in raspbi-config

2. Find the configuration folder (contains options.xml) in my case it was: /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config It will change depending on python version

3. Plug the stick in

4. Find out what the device is run ls -al /dev/tty* run this and take note of any that show ttyUSB#, ttyACM# or ttyAMA#.

5. Unplug the stick and run the command again taking note of the one that disappeard

6. Fill out the config using the above information:

Z-Wave

zwave:
    usb_path: /dev/ACM0
    config_path: /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config

7. Add homeassistant to the dialout group sudo usermod -a -G dialout homeassistant

8. Restart homeassistant

9. Confirm the zstick shows up

10. Create alias for the zstick following this guide https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66901/how-to-bind-usb-device-under-a-static-name

11. Update config usb_path with the value you set above

12. Restart homeassistant

3 Likes

Hi,

here is my way of enabling Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 for centos 7 with installed Anaconda3. I use “ana” user.
Probably could be done in more elegant way but this worked for me.

Martin

add user ana and make him sudoer

sudo useradd ana
sudo passwd ana
sudo usermod -aG wheel ana

add user to dialout group

sudo usermod -G dialout -a ana

install Anaconda3 under /home/ana/anaconda3/

During the installation, allow Anaconda to path, so pip or python will call Anaconda stuff

install open zwave library

cd /home/ana
git clone https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave.git
cd open-zwave
make
sudo make install

copy result to anaconda (no other libs here)

sudo cp /usr/local/lib64/* /home/ana/anaconda3/lib/

install python wrapper for openzwave

pip uninstall -y python_openzwave
pip install python_openzwave --no-cache-dir --no-deps --install-option="–flavor=git"

install home assistant

cd /home/ana
git clone https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.git
cd home-assistant
python setup.py install

open user interface

hass --open-ui

I have read this entire topic, but cannot get the Z-Wave gen5 stick working.
I am using the Hass.io raspberry pi docker image. I am not able to get a full shell, so I cannot do most of the instructions here.

Is there some other way to get it working on hass.io? Or do I need to drop the RPI3 and do a manual install on some linux machine?

For docker you also need a device flag and to run it as privileged. Further you can’t do the udev rules and symlinks, you need to find out the actual dev location.

I’m running my (non-hassio) HA instance in Docker in Debian 9 installed on a NUC and I have mine setup using udev rules and it works perfectly fine.

It complained when I tried to set it up using “/dev/by-id/…” but using udev rules work.

otherwise I’m not sure what you have to do differently in hassio.

But how am I supposed to do any of this when all I have is the hass.io shell with just some basic commands? I must be missing something? Is there a way to gain full root access on the latest rpi build?

1 Like

That would be my vote…:wink:

I am using the series 2 stick but it just worked when I plugged it in and added this to my configuration.yaml

#Turn on zwave support
zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0

Try this thread as well: Help! - Setup Aeotec Z-Wave USB Stick

If you have installed home assistant on Arch Linux, the following command will help to get access rights to the Z-Wave usb-device:

sudo usermod -a -G uucp hass

I have read every single thread on this site regarding this issue. I have wasted countless hours on this one stupid thing and I have to let any other future stranger that may be in the same pit as I know: User permissions don’t take effect until you relogin your shell.

I am too used to tmux.