Help us name a Home Assistant installation method (Polls added)

Like mentioned before, it’s only distributions that we are giving names here. So let’s look at Linux for that:

• Linux kernel
    And we’re done. There are no more Linux names. (afaik)

The only names there are are different distributions. Debian, Ubuntu, etc. So why not go that direction?

And from a newcomers perspective I think distributions don’t need names for such a little variation of distributions. I just want to know how to install the damn thing including all benefits. If I want to dial down (aka only core) I want that option during install.

Please keep this thread focused on topic of picking a better name rather than critiquing previous decisions.

Reminder of what this thread is for

Ah ! Not sure the colloquialism is universally understood (given your interpretation, though you may be trying for ‘irony’ (as used by Alanis Morrisette rather than actual meaning)
To be clear ‘the fully monty’ is most commonly used (say) when your breakfast is the full Monty, meaning every option selected and the plate hardly visible under the food piled on it. “They decided to go the fully Monty and take off all their clothes” is but an expression of how far they went, not about what was left. Regardless this is ambiguous enough to just leave by the roadside.

It was my (obviously) failed attempt to riff on the meaning of Full Monty.

Probably don’t want to go that route because its abbreviation is FM and, in Internet lingo, that has an entirety different meaning …

What’s wrong with Frequency Modulation ??? :thinking:

I like the point about an acronym being an admission of defeat.

Something that means the same as ‘All In One’ then to emphasise that it’s a ‘one stop shop’

Maybe : -
‘Unity’. - ‘All’ - 100% - Macro - ‘Central’ - ‘Heart’ - ‘Kit’ - ‘First’ - ‘someone must have a better thesaurus than mine ?’

I’d vote for Home Assistant Suite or AiO. It’s Home Assistant (core) plus some extra stuff. AiO indicates, that it has everything needed to get started, and Suite sounds like “everything”, like with the MS Office Suite (a bundle of multiple components). Complete would be fine as well, but to me it doesn’t sound as well. The other provided options seem too abstract to me to have any real meaning, and they possibly inidicate they are better options (like Plus, Prime), even though that may not always be the case.

3 Likes

More along the lines of ‘go forth and multiply’ …

BTW, in my neck of the woods, “All Dressed” means you want your hot dog or pizza with everything on it.

Could just resort to using clothing sizes (in order of decreasing complexity):
Home Assistant XL
Home Assistant L
Home Assistant M
Home Assistant S

/s

Now that I think of it: Home assistant complete is no good. People might think they miss features if they choose another install method.

Home Assistant Fat Bastard ?

:rofl:

1 Like

I believe all discussions/criticism so far of others suggestions has been fair and in good faith.
If people has good reason to criticize a name such as some had been, where the name may mean something in a different language or similar it’s better to say it in my opinion.

My suggestion;
I don’t know but I would like it to have the acronym HAND.
Talk to the HAND! :grin:

That’s an excellent point and underscores why I’ve suggested the renaming not be limited to hass.io. Whatever wonderful name we select for hass.io leaves behind the Supervised method which, despite being functionality 90% the same as hass.io, ends up with a completely different name (fact is that hass.io is equally “Supervised”).

That disclaimer is in reference to past decisions for the project, not the current discussion. e.g. complaining about past renames instead of looking to the future.

I’ve only seen a few such comments, but hoping that people can stay focused on the future instead of trying to bring up old drama.

2 Likes

I quite like “supervised” as we say “it does exactly what it says on the tin”
I think if the general installation guides point primarily to hass.io (whatever its finally called) then if people dismiss that then either they know enough to pick themselves or will have lived with hass.io long enough to have gained that same knowledge.
Anyone who decides ‘off the bat’ that they are going for an ‘alternative’ install (without some scene setting) will be setting themselves up for disappointment and an uphill battle. (sort of see where the devs are comming from now)

Though
Home Assistant Supervised (for debian) (with addons)
Might clarify a lot

Similarly
Home Assistant Coretainer (for linux/windows/mac)
Home Assistant Core (for linux/windows/mac) (no direct addons)

I dunno anymore I’m too close to this to see it from a novices perspective and if too novice, then they misunderstand or are inaccurate.

@SeanM, I assume when you’ve gotten enough good input you’ll decide a short list and open a poll ?

1 Like

I think you’re on to something there.

1. Home Assistant Supervised OS
  2. Home Assistant Supervised Debian
  3. Home Assistant Coretainer
  4. Home Assistant Core

The familial connections are clear. The first two are Supervised versions with the only difference being the underlying operating system. The last two are the Core application with the only difference being the first is distributed as a docker container.

BTW, in case anyone wonders “Why Debian and not simply Linux?”, according to the ADR, only Debian will be officially supported.

Unlike my previous suggestion of Plus (or others like Complete, Total, One, All-in-one, etc), this name doesn’t suggest you get something inferior if you choose another installation method.

• If you choose one of the first two, you get a fully Supervised version (Core plus Add-ons eco-system, Snapshots, etc) with the only difference being the operating system.
  • If you choose one of the last two, you get a non-Supervised version, namely just the Core application, distributed either as a container or python code.
5 Likes

I like both of these options because this method is supossed to be the default instalation for most people and names like that help to cement the idea that the hardware will be exclusive to Home Assistant and it’s add-ons and it’ll in fact become a “hub” and nothing else.

I think we should avoid names like this, because it might send the wrong message that the other installation methods are “hard.”

This is something we’re likely going to point out on the installation landing page - what experience level is required, probably a feature set comparison, etc. I feel it’s more suitable in that place rather than in the actual name itself.

I agree with this, I don’t think people would like typing out “All-in-One” and would just abbreviate it to AIO almost every time. While we might be familiar with this abbreviation, I suspect much of the target audience for this installation method would not be. The words “all” and “in” are extremely common words too, so when searching through the website/forums/Google, there might be a lot of unwanted and unrelated search results.

I personally like Home Assistant One for this reason, it gets across the same meaning as All-In-One (at least in my opinion) but without some of the drawbacks. It doesn’t need to be abbreviated since it’s already just three characters.

I like “One” and it works great in products where version doesn’t matter (eg: Google One) but for HA it’ll bring confusion with versions (HA One 0.111, HA One 2.0).

So if we do have to choose I plus on HA Suite.

And in the future we could do supervised as HA Suiteless :joy: and coretainer as HA Homeless :rofl:

One suggestion I haven’t seen is to simply rename it back to hass.io.

The term has been used for many years, is well known, and continues to be used today by many people, including developers (search the Core repo’s PR’s for hassio or hass.io).

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Like:

• Home Assistant … (nothing/blank — because you install it where ever)
  • Home Assistant Raspberry
  • Home Assistant Debian
  • Home Assistant NUC
  • Home Assistant Docker
  • Home Assistant VB (VirtualBox)
  • Home Assistant Hyper-V
  • etc etc

It would be pretty self explanatory what each one is.