Help with device_tracker platform: ping

I have 2 binary_sensors and device_trackers on ping platform. They show different states. Please help understand the problem.

configuration.yaml

device_tracker:
  - platform: ping
    scan_interval: 60
    count: 3
    consider_home: 300
    hosts:
      ping_galaxys7edge: !secret ip_PH-SamsungGalaxyS7edge-W
      ping_xiaomimi8: !secret ip_PH-XiaomiMi8-W
binary_sensor:
  - name: GalaxyS7edge
    host: !secret ip_PH-SamsungGalaxyS7edge-W 
    platform: ping
  - name: XiaomiMi8 
    host: !secret ip_PH-XiaomiMi8-W
    platform: ping

known_devices:

ping_xiaomimi8:
  hide_if_away: false
  icon:
  mac: !secret mac2
  name: ping xiaomimi8
  picture:
  track: true

ping_galaxys7edge:
  hide_if_away: false
  icon:
  mac: !secret mac1
  name: ping_galaxys7edge
  picture:
  track: true

scr3

How to see ping logs? Maybe I will see the difference between response from the binary_sensor and device_tracker…

My Android phone (Motorola) doesn’t answer to ping (ICMP) requests. Maybe this is true for all of them.

My both phones answer to ping. binary_sensor works fine in 98%. I can’t understand what is the difference between b_sensor and d_tracker. Maybe someone can say where to look at the python code of these platforms?

Maybe the difference is that you have “consider_home” for the device tracker and not for the binary sensor.

For the third week I’ve been changing consider_home value. It doesn’t help … How can I add binary_sensor as a tracker for a person?

Configuration --》 Persons

I set mine there (hassio 0.99)

Currently it’s not a default feature to have a binary sensor as a tracker for a person, but take a look at this feature request. I think there is a workaround in this thread.

1 Like

Thanks for advice. I am currently using this workaround. I thought there was an opportunity to do it without automation