Help with MQTT please

Happy to hear.

How about Z2M, can to connect devices?

Well I’ve so far only managed to put my Zigbee (Samsung SmartThings) motion sensor in there, but its’ showing in the Z2M map after I manually reset it (which happened after I’d had 10 cigs and 18 coffees to calm my nerves once things began working).

I only have two zigbee devices, and my next job is to somehow get the Philips Hue Bulb working… Google seems to suggest that ain’t gonna be easy, either :frowning:

Nice to hear. Then it works.

If you have a hue dimmer switch, then it is easy to reset the hue bulbs. , press 1 and 0 at the same time for 10sec, holding it very close to the bulb. Then it resets.
Otherwise, I do not know how to reset them, there are many videos on it😁

It’s done.

I used Alexa to reset the Philips Hue bulb and set HA Z2M to enable join at the same time, it found it instantly :slight_smile:

FWIW, I ran into this issue today (July 2023) with a brand new installation of Home Assistant, and found the docs a bit lacking, and the tutorials on YouTube a bit out of date. What worked for me was using the real IP address of my Home Assistant server when configuring the Zigbee2MQTT add-on, rather than using “localhost” or “127.0.0.1”.

That is, I have a full Home Assistant Operating System installation, and have installed both the Mosquitto broker add-on and the Zigbee2MQTT add-on into that installation. When configuring the Zigbee2MQTT add-on, this did not work:

mqtt:
  server: mqtt://127.0.0.1
  user: mqttclient
  password: lucky#7password

When configured as above, using localhost, I consistently received a “MQTT error: connect ECONNREFUSED” error in the Zigbee2MQTT add-on logs.

Switching to using the “real” IP address of my Home Assistant server did work:

mqtt:
  server: mqtt://10.10.10.31
  user: mqttclient
  password: lucky#7password

I suspect this is due to the nature of networking across the add-on containers. But even the Zigbee2MQTT configuration docs use localhost. Since that’s where I copy/pasted from, it lead me astray. Perhaps it’s fooled others, too.

1 Like