Heos Group support

I have an issue with Denon/HEOS Integration. When I send a commnad for play heos, my zone1 on my avr denon is turned on, but I dont want to turn on zone1 but zone2. Any hints on this?

For Denon AVRs you are probably better off using the respective integration, as the HEOS integration does not support the AVR zones.

Just flagging that you might want to upvote this feature request to also add HEOS support to the Music Assistant add-on of Home Assistant. HEOS as Player Provider · music-assistant · Discussion #1167 · GitHub
Currently v2.0 of Music assistant is in beta testing.
HEOS speakers currently only work as a DLNA player which is not ideal.

There is now a poll on which smart speakers / media players to integrate into Music Assistant. Feel free to vote for HEOS if you’re interested :slight_smile: Player Provider Poll #1 · music-assistant · Discussion #1200 · GitHub

Totally voted for this, be nice to see it get some attention.

1 Like

Hello Björn,

Unfortunately unjoining the groups doesn’t work for me.

Here is my code for my 2 speakers.

sequence:
 - service: media_player.unjoin
   data:
     entity_id: media.media_player.diningroom

- delay:
     milliseconds: 500

- service: media_player.unjoin
   data:
     entity_id: media_player.kitchen

Do you have any idea why this doesn’t work?
Grouping works wonderfully

Hi Thorsten, Sorry for the late reply.

I sometimes had some issues with unjoining as well. My current solution is to restart the Host speaker (the speaker of which you added the ip-address during the original configuration). It seems like the connection with HA becomes unstable after a while. Joining gives no issues, but unjoining sometimes does.

For me a power off/on for the host speaker solves the issues. So I have added a smart switch to that speaker and every night when we go to bed, the switch automatically powers of the host, and switches it back on 5 minutes later. Since then I didn’t have had any issues anymore.

Not sure if the same will help in different situations, but you might want to test it out.

does anyone know how to setup buttons for

1. speaker a
  2. speaker b
  3. speaker a + b

i have a denon pma 9000-hne and can’t seem to figure it out, the heos integration in ha does not have a speaker selector anywhere. If anyone knows how to make this work, i greatly apprecaite it!

Is there a way to use the media_player.join to add a Heos speaker to an existing Heos group without knowing all the exsitng group members beforehand, but only the group leader and the new member I want to add to the group? I have one main “House Group” and I would like speakers in each room to be able to join or leave the group with some keypad buttons. If I want to use the join function, it looks like I have to redefine the group with all the existing members plus the new member I want to join, which means I need to have some knowledge of the current state of the group beforehand. Am I understanding this correctly. It feels like less of a “join” function and more of a “destroy and recreate with the new member” function. The unjoin appears to simply remove the desired speaker from group while preserving the rest of the group.

That’s right. You need to know all group members. They can be retrieved via the “group_members” attribute of a already playing heos speaker.

{{ state_attr('media_player.heos1','group_members') }}

When creating or joining a group, the order of the members is important as well. The first member will be the ‘master’: This speaker’s playlist will be continued and it’s audio output will be synced to all other speakers. So you have to take in consideration which device is the master in an existing group and make sure it is the first member of the newly created group as well.

And a general word of caution: Don’t send multiple actions (join, unjoin, 
) at once. This will most likely crash the system. There will be log messages that indicate timeouts for all subsequent actions. Most reliable fix in that situation: Disconnect all speaker from power, reconnect them, then reload the integration. (Yep, thats annoying.)

I created multiple scripts and automations for joining and removeing speakers to existing groups with just a push of a button. Including starting a stream, when no group is detected, finding existing groups automatically, handeling the removal of the master and so on.
If you are interested I can post them, when I am home later this day.