Hey Insteon users!

Hi and welcome. You will probably need to give more info, like which of the supported indteon hubs or plm you use, what exactly you did to try and setup, what your logs say, etc.

Its the 2245-222 Hub. Red light is on but itā€™s still controlling my devices ā€“ just canā€™t access it through HA.

HA is running fine on the Raspberry Pi and I can see some of my non-Insteon devices and services in Configuration. I am running an Eero network and all my devices are connected to that. The Insteon Hub shows up in the Eero App as online.

I can ping the IP of the Insteon Hub and it answers. But when I try to add it as an integration I get the Hub login box asking for IP, channel, username and password. I tried my normal Insteon credentials and got the ā€œfailure to Connectā€ error.

I tried to do a network reset of my hub: 3 short pushes of the rest button, got the 3 beeps, but no apparent Hub restart and green light. Also then tried the factory login credentials and got same failure to connect message,

Thatā€™s where I am nowā€¦ I can see it but canā€™t connect.

Devices and

Not sure what logs to publish and where they are located.

Update. Connected and seeing all of my devices. I was entering a wrong character for factory password. Lower case j instead of Uppercase J. They look the same on the hub. Sheesh.

Now if I can figure out how to scheduleā€¦

Glad you got it going. You probably should start another thread for automation/scheduling. Feel free to tag me in by including @nickrout in your post.

1 Like

This. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s for legal reasons but I donā€™t understand why these companies (Nucleus Intercom is another half paperweight in my house) donā€™t release the ROM/Firmware/source code/etc so some enterprising person or group can give the devices a second life.

Can you send me the houselinc installer file ?

It might be time to buy up on ebay.

Yes @nickrout I bought a few already on E-Bay. Mostly because I want to help test the new HA Insteon Panel but want to do it on a separate system. Between my buddy and I now we have 6 hubs and 2 PLMs. I figure we have some life in us for our homes. He still has 50+ switches/dimmers to install in his current home build out and I have over 80 installed plus another 5 or 6 in the closet.

I know how to use insteon scenes in Home assistant. I would like to be able to add, update or create new scenes on the insteon hub. When using an insteon scenes you can turn on multiple devices at one time while Home assistant scenes turn on devices one at a time.

Yes but when you (use to or still do) call an Insteon scene through the Insteon integration and check the state of the lights ā€¦ are they correct?

I wrote that and then just tested (although I have the new beta software for Insteon installed) ā€¦ and they do now. That is impressive!

So the real test will be now:

ā€œAlexa, turn on {something}ā€
Which would be a script to call insteon.scene_on
And if the GUi is all updated and Nabu Casa is updated, I will be very happy

Iā€™m getting the same ā€œfailed to connectā€ error when I put in my original username and password. I have not reset my hub yet, but I think I might have to at this point? Thoughts?

Thank you HA for saving my Insteon system! Strike up another win for Home Assistant here. I bought a RaspberryPi 4 kit on Amazon and got up and running in a day. I even got an automation running for my Internet connected pet door which I could never do before.

For me this is a huge upgrade and serves as a long term migration plan to something new. I wonā€™t need to act hastily and Iā€™ll replace the Insteon switches as they fail. My wife is happy having the Alexa integration back too. That has turned into a necessary convenience. I must admit I use it too when I need a light turned on with both hands full.

All is well for now.

3 Likes

It is great to know that Insteon users have an escape route. Thereā€™s lots of words could be said about evils of the cloud and the power of open source, but I think it is best said by the founder:

1 Like

Anyone have an answer yet about creating new scenes? Obviously we canā€™t get into the Insteon app anymore and like many people before I realized the servers were down I did a hard reset on my hub. My lights work fine on Home Assistant but will this new page coming out in a couple weeks allow the creation of scenes just like the application did?

I am having the same issue.

You Need to use the Username and password printed on the back of the Hub box, not your login credentials

I have tested HA with my Hub1, Hub2, and USB PLM. All worked just fine. I settled for the Hub1 for now because I can use HouseLinc to manage all of the attached smart switches and their hard lincs. I will say that you can NOT have HA and HouseLinc running at the same time. They compete for the hubā€™s attention, and nothing works.
I have been testing the automations and they seem to work better talking to scenes instead of multiple devices. Adding conditions only makes them more clunky and prone to missing a device. Seems to be due to ACK delays with the hub.
Next step is to get my Alexa devices talking to my stand-alone HA-Pi.

Iā€™m having some issues with a couple switchlincs. One always turns on at 50%, and the other only turns off. I suspect I forgot to have them both at 100% on when I linked them to my second gen hub. I tried to re-link the all link and delete the all link, but it doesnā€™t seem to me working. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

@kbrown01, with your sizable number of devices, have you encountered a problem where certain devices were recognized by HA but non-responsive to HA, i.e., when you turn a light off with HA it does not turn off? This seems to happen with some devices that are set up for virtual three-way operation. Should I reset the switches, use the one with the load for HA and then re-establish the virtual three-way?I also have one device that I installed using an override. it shows up in the device list in HA, but does not respond to on/off. Would appreciate any advice.