Hide top and side menu in web browser for kiosks?

I need to run kiosks via browsers.

I want to hide the top and side menu bars. I was doing this with Kiosk-Mode in HACS with just appending ?kiosk to the URL but this no longer works with the April release.

Is Browser Mod now the best way to do this?

Thanks

Same problem here…

I have never used kiosks but I’m using Browser Mod and I see it great.

Is it possible to move the top bar down?
After the HA 2023.4 update it broke, the bar is up and I have no idea how to get it back.

This needs listing as a breaking change doesn’t it @frenck? I don’t THINK it was? :slight_smile:

To confirm, replacing /config/www/community/kiosk-mode/kiosk-mode.js with the one here then restarting HA, clearing your browser caches works. No need to amend any lovelace references anywhere.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, that fixed it.

Unfortunately, that didn’t fix it for me. Could be another HACS package that’s causing the problem for me. Animated backgrounds is also not working.

Edit: I also use the custom: sidebar HACS package. It has a feature to hide the top bar that still seems to be working. Achieves what I wanted. Now to figure out whats going on with animated backgrounds… I don’t use the animated part. It only cycles through stills based on the current weather condition. I’m all ears if anyone knows of another package that does the same thing.

I tried using the kiosk_mode for the first time today after the 2023.4 update and it’s not working. I uninstalled, reinstalled and rebooted twice. I also tried using the js file mentioned here (uploaded it in /config/www/community/kiosk-mode/kiosk-mode.js, is that right?) instead of installing through HACS and it still doesn’t work.

I have these frontend integrations installed:
card-mod, Digital Clock, Mushroom, Mushroom Themes, Hourly Weather Card.

R.

Did you try clearing cache?

Hi @daneboom, thanks for your reply! Yes, every time I did anything I cleared browser cache. I have this code on the top of the mushroom code (Edit Dashboard > Raw configuration editor) and I have never seen the top bar disappear:

kiosk_mode:
  hide_header: true

I also tried adding ?kiosk at the end of the URL, also with no success.

R.

Mine looks like this;

kiosk_mode:
  non_admin_settings:
    kiosk: true
    ignore_entity_settings: true

And then I have my wall tablet setup using a non-admin user account, that’s how the settings are applied to that tablet only

I tried your code and it’s still not working :frowning:
I also use a different user for a dashboard (mostly through the Google Hub), I logged in from this user on a different browser, and I still see the sidebar and top bar.

Any alternative methods to try?

Thanks,
R.

EDIT: I found the wallpanel integration and it’s working for me! It doesn’t recognize between admin/other users but has an option to create profiles and activate them by adding ?wp_profile="" to the URL.

1 Like

I had the same problem with kiosk mode no longer working, and like you, I tried everything. I ended up getting it working again using Browser Mod. It’s working great so far.

What and Where is this Browser MOD is this part of Microsoft Windows, Home Assistance (HACS) or what?

Is this another integration or add-on you have to configure?

Just another HACS front end integration.