High Availability

There was a recent post from someone setting out their kubernetes based install.

EDIT: here K8s deployment

Thanks @nickrout

Not entirely true.

I run 2 proxmox servers. HA runs in a VM on my main server and the VM is backupped each hour onto the second node. I have also a third proxmox ā€˜nodeā€™ which is just a RPi which role is to confirm if one the main node is dead for proxmox management to able to swtch VM from the main node to the backup one.

I have 2 USB sticks on each server : one AeotecZ-Stick GEN5 fro ZWave and a Zigbee2MQTT controler.
The 2 AeotecZ-Stick GEN5 are identical (same firmware, backup one using the aeotec backup tooln and then import the backup on the second one).
The 2 Zigbee2MQTT sticks are also identicals.

When my main server goes down, HA starts in about one minute on the backup node (so there is a HA down-time of about one minute which is totally acceptable from my point of view). And both ZWave and Zigbee networks work just fine on the second physical node.
My 2 nodes are distant of about 10 meters one from the other.

10 Likes

Iā€™m a bit late to this thread, but my setup is similar to @Shaad.

I have my primary instance of HA running as a Hyper-V VM, with replication to another physical host.

Then I have 2 RPIs with aeotec z-sticks (not the same version or firmware FWIW - I initially bought the second stick so I could keep it up-to-date as a spare as my dependency on z-wave grew). The backup Pi is powered off, but can be powered on by the main HA instance if the primary Pi stops responding/fails (& rules to make sure only 1 of the 2 sockets is powered on at any one point), and I just take a backup of the z-stick, and a hassio snapshot periodically and load them onto the backup z-stick/pi.

home-assistant-remote is at the heart of it all: Everything on the pi shows up on the main HA instance, and because the Pis use the same IP & snapshot, the long lived token is the same. The result is that you can power one pi off, power the other on, and the main instance will happily go on talking to what it thinks is the same device.

1 Like

When this thread was originally live the posters then managed to avoid it getting either political or personal. It appears that has changed, so Iā€™ve done a little cleanup.

Please keep it on topic :wink:

Has anyone considered something like this: https://www.net-usb.com/

essentially usb over ethernetā€¦ a plugin for this would be great, but it looks quite priceyā€¦

It may not be political but it is off topic. Keep it to the original subject. High Availability of Home Assistant.

1 Like

Is this topic still ongoing?

Is there allready a docker-swarm deployment possible with supervisor?
(I have no usb sticks, everything here is based on wifi, so I think that running HA in a docker swarm would be an acceptable solution for most people?)

Nobody picked up this what the heck request.

That doesnā€™t stop anybody doing it themselves. If you have no hardware restrictions itā€™s just failover.

hello, regarding HA IPs you can achieve this very easy with keepalived, you can search on Google is very easy to configure

Intermittent Tech is working on this. Quindor talks anout it briefly while reviewing this KVM for the project https://youtu.be/TzqfsiiJ5N8 So there should be a video about how to do it soonTM.

1 Like