Hildebrand Glow Integration Set Up

I’m trying to set up the hildebrand glow custom integration via HACS. GitHub - unlobito/ha-hildebrandglow: PRE-RELEASE. HomeAssistant integration for the Hildebrand Glow smart meter HAN for UK SMETS meters., I’ve installed via HACS, restarted home assistant but cannot see it as an integration. It appears in custom components in my configuration and there are no errors in the log so not sure where to start debugging and wondered if anyone else had any issues? I’m running 2021.08.04.

I gave up on trying to get this integration working a few months ago. I didn’t face your specific issue, I got further with an entity for gas usage appearing in my HA device list but unfortunately it never showed anything other than ‘unavailable’. I don’t know if the error was caused by the integration, Hildebrand’s API, or my smart meter, but utimately it was a failure and I deleted the integration/closed my Hildebrand account.

It’s a shame too because I know my energy data is being captured and sent out to my metering companies but I can’t make use of it. With HA’s recent push for energy monitoring perhaps there will be enough demand for Hildebrand to consider contributing their own integration. We’d benefit by easily accessing our energy data and they’d benefit from adding more UK consumers into their books.

1 Like

It might be worth trying the forked integration from HandyHat here Hildebrandglow - Smart Meters - SMETS2 - #23 by declan-morris I’ve got it set up and it’s seeing my electricity meter without needing hardware, just a Bright account. It’s not seeing my gas but my gas meter isnt commissioned yet.

For what it’s worth, I have the unlobito custom component working with the Hildebrand Glow CAD. This is for electricity only since my gas smart meter hasn’t been commissioned. It showed ‘unavailable’ for electricity consumption until I asked Hildebrand to enable MQTT for my account. They did this very quickly and electricity data started flowing immediately.

I just got this reply from Bright
"Unfortunately, you will need our CAD for MQTT - MQTT is a publish, in near real-time, of data collected on the HAN from your meters by our devices. It is formatted into some json objects and then published for the user to consume.

There is no (and cannot be an) equivalent of the half hour data for MQTT. If you absolutely need the 30 minute data in MQTT you will need to code against our published API and then inject it into whatever broker you wish. We are aware of a couple of people who have very generously built such a broker (which I hope doesn’t put you off purchasing our CAD when it is available!) - here are the two urls which have been shared with us FYI - GitHub - HandyHat/ha-hildebrandglow-dcc: PRE-RELEASE. Home Assistant integration for UK SMETS (Smart) meters pulling data from the DCC via the Hildebrand Glow API
Home Assistant integration for energy consumption data from UK SMETS (Smart) meters using the Hildebrand Glow API

API access is automatic; you use your Bright credentials. Further information here : Repository URL - Bitbucket

The Bright Application ID is b0f1b774-a586-4f72-9edd-27ead8aa7a8d

Please let us know if you’d like to go onto our CAD waiting list."
The intergration is showing Error Cannot find any CAD devices

The current integration method using HandyHat is working well, and I have my smart meter connected to Home assistant and retrieving data.

A couple of questions tho?

HandyHat recommends using the yearly stats for the HA energy panel… why ?
I am using the daily sensors and they seem to work fine (and unlike yearly, also give me the costs). However, if HA is down for any reason, I end up ‘missing’ some hours. Is there anyway for the integration to retrieve this when HA is back up ?