History Graph Card plots a staircase for sensor and a spline for input_number

you need to define a unit of measurement (in customize I think) for the graph to show up.

The graph looks this way because the ā€œunit of measurementā€ is unknown. Simple to fix using HA frontend. Go to the bottom of the ā€œConfigurationā€ page and then ā€œCustomizationā€. Find your sensor and change the ā€œunit of measurementā€ to, say ā€œPeopleā€.

Or use the older method with this added to your .yaml code:

sensor.people_at_home:
  friendly_name: People at Home
  icon: mdi:person-supervisor
  unit_of_measurement: People

squirtbrnr, Graham, thanks for the explanation. I really did not expect the unit of measurement to have any impact aside from actually denoting it in the UI. Regardless, itā€™s working perfectly now! Still I think it would be nice to be able to configure how to graph a value in some other way instead of making parallel input_number/template sensors, but for now it definitely gets the job done :slight_smile:
afbeelding

I am also missing the step/staircase option a lot.
Templating ist a quirky workaround to generete another sensor with addidtional date I do not need.

In the picture you see the target and the measured temperature. The target ist updated only on rare occasions, which is just fine. With this data the spline interpolation is pretty useless. Steps/staircase representation would reduce the need for redundant data.

grafik

cheers

1 Like

Just a heads up, there is an open feature request (from myself) to at least allow some customizability for display.
Especially since switching from stepped to linear is 1 parameter in chartjs!

I am now at 2022.8.5
Both sensor and input number are plotted as a staircase.
This workaround to plot with spline now longer works.