History panel ignores YAML directives after 22.6

Are there only a few of us who have noticed the breaking change in HA history? And it doesn’t appear that the core maintainer responsible for history is responding to issues?

This was an intended breaking change, it’s listed in the release notes under entity filter breaking changes.

Sorry petro, but I don’t see any reference to the removal of configuration.yaml control over history. Am I looking in the wrong place?

My configuration.yaml includes this code which corresponds to the linked documentation for history:

history:
  use_include_order: true
  exclude:
    domains:
      - media_player
    entities:
      - switch.everywhere_do_not_disturb_switch
      - switch.this_device_do_not_disturb_switch
      - switch.zone_1
      - switch.zone_2
      - switch.zone_3
      - switch.zone_4
  include:
    entities:
      - sun.sun
      - binary_sensor.motion_temperature_sensor_home_security_motion_detection
      - binary_sensor.garage_door_tilt_sensor_access_control_window_door_is_open
      - binary_sensor.kitchen_leak_water
    domains:
      - switch
      - light

The entity filter hierarchy was changed. It’s under entity filter breaking changes.

The only description I could find regarding history filtering was this : 2022.7: A stunning performance - Home Assistant which says nothing about the removal of the ability to filter history (as many HA users do) via a legacy configuration.yaml:history. The current documentation for history says nothing about removal of the filter feature, nor was there any deprecation warning before this change was made. One of the reasons I embraced HA over other options was the commitment made long ago to not remove features without a migration path and/or warning. What happened to that ideal? .

Are you joking right now? I’ve linked it and event sent a picture. I’ll circle the word history so you can see it was changed…

Sorry Petro, we’re in a discussion loop here. Yes, I saw (and clicked on) the History entry in Breaking Changes. If you’ll notice, that’s the same link that I provided in my first post starting this topic, specifically History panel ignores YAML directives after 22.6 - #3 by LeapFrog

The order was changed. What takes precedence was changed. You’re saying it’s not honored, but it is, just in a different order. Do you understand?

I can’t access github right now but i’m assuming your “issue” is caused by you having an included domains

I have excluded domains, entity_globs and entities but only include at the entity level.

Hello Petro - Yes, I understand perfectly. I respectfully disagree that the YAML configuration is “honored”. If it were, my default History panel would not be blank, and I would not have to manually recreate the history entities that appeared prior to 22.7. Additionally, this is the not-insignificant matter of the history configuration not being persistent across browsers. For those of us who have history panels on multiple devices this is a painful regression.

A cogent discussion of the issue is here, and there are already Feature Requests on the way: View All Option in History - #12 by Mariusthvdb

We are talking about 2 different things. I was referring to the issue you linked in your original post and why it isn’t being looked at (Because the change was intended).

Yes, we do need “all the history” back and I believe that’s being looked at.