Hive is ending support for online web dashboard June 1 2024 in UK (and IFTTT)

Do you still use the thermostat component and do changes via HA/the thermostat reflect back and forth?
I’ve seen conflicting comments about that.

You need both the physical thermostat and the receiver for it to work.

You can use any thermostat you like though (however the Hive thermostat is particularly accurate so worth using anyway).

The thermostat continues to function as before (set temp, set schedule, set boost) but you can also control this from HA. If you make a change in HA (temp set point for example) you see that reflected in the thermostat and vice-versa. …so it works as if you have simply replaced the Hive app on your phone for HA.

Edit: to be clear, the setpoint and actual temp reflect back and forth as does the “mode”, but the thermostat is in “manual” so I can control the schedule through HA and not the thermostat (so the schedule is not reflected as I am bypassing it to use the HA schedule instead).

1 Like

Thanks for confirming how you have it working, that’s exactly what I was hoping i’d get
I’m holding off for black friday to try and get a deal on the hubless one, and especially given this latest announcement I won’t be touching the hub with a barge pole.

Interesting. I’d be very interested in how you have broken free of the hivehome services, will be a useful option to look into. Do you have a recommendation for front end for schedule setting? As far as I’m concerned that is the one bit of the app I can imagine would be a bit of work to replace.

Hello @jchh,
I have been considering moving away from the reliance on Hive’s servers for sometime. This first started when Hive began to remove support for some of their cameras, which I thankfully don’t use. However, the recent email has got me thinking about this again.

Any information you can share about how you set up your system without the Hive Hub would be greatly appreciated.

Darran West

Sure. Check this post and ask any questions you like!

Just to check before i go out an get the dongle for zigbee ( I’ve already got MQTT and Mosquito installed that part was free) does Home assistant pull its data from the web portal my.hivehome or does it pull form the app portal (which is still going to be working)

You can set it to ‘auto’ which means the Hive app’s schedules can control the thermostat.

However, that’s the not the point of doing this. Set it to ‘manual’ and let HA be the brains, making it 100% locally controlled (no hub required), no pulling of data from the web portal or the Hive app (which also uses the Hive cloud).

Sorry to confuse but i was referring to start of the conversation that implied that once the web dashboard would shutdown in June that the link to the Hive integration would break…
I’ve not been happy with Hive since the last time they broke the link so long tern My decision is more around Zigbee2mqtt or ZHA and i’m leaning to Z2M just because it seem to allow a broader choice of devices and i might step away from hue too
but this may put a hard switch date by when i need to be able to change
Currently my HA does all the modifications and changes to the default schedule as the environment changes (doors open, or working from home, bank holiday etc)

1 Like

Got it. To the best of my knowledge with the Hive hub / Hive integration, HA pulls its information from the Hive Cloud. The Hive web portal is its front-end.

I believe the Hive app talks to the thermostat/receiver via the Hive cloud as well so you need to be logged into your Hive account for the app to work).

@Mike_Archer For clarification the hive integration uses the APIs used by the Hive mobile app.

1 Like

Do you think this means it wont break in June?

I don’t think it will break, but no guarantees.
I personally no longer use the Hub and run Hive locally over Z2M.

Hi,
AI am someone can help.
I run 2 Airbnb rooms attached to my house.
I have the Hive smart thermostat in each apartment so they can control the heating as they wish.
I was using IFTTT to automate the heating to return to schedule on the hour to prevent customers leaving the heating 30 degrees on 24/7 especially when they leave the room with a window open.
IFTTT has now stopped working so I am a bit stuck.
Any ideas on a system that would enable me to achieve the same control or similar ? Thank you

You have 2 choices:

• Use the use Hive hub (cloud based). This requires the Hive hub.
  • Use Zigbee (locally based). This requires a Zigbee dongle, MQTT and either Z2M or possibly ZHA (I have no personal experience with ZHA so cannot confirm).

There are several posts on this forum describing how to setup Hive over Zigbee.

Edit: referencing the other post where you asked this exact same question:

Thanks for your answer.
I am however completely at a loss.
What is Zigbee dongle, MQTT and either Z2M ?
What app runs all this?
How would it run physically ?

How would it work using the Hive hub? I can’t seem to find any actions within the hive app that will allow me to program this.

1. Ensure your Hive is linked to its hub per the normal Hive setup.
  2. Add the official Hive integration to HA.

Everything will then be available in HA.

You need to do some research on this. I am not the best one to explain it but, super simplistically:

• The dongle is a piece of hardware that has a Zigbee radio in it (it can talk to Zigbee devices). I use the Sonoff Dongle-P but there are others.
  • MQTT is a messaging protocol that HA can use. It’s an integration that you can install. Its advantage is that it queues messages so none get lost (esp. if there are many messages at once).
  • Zigbee2MQTT (Z2M for short) is a broker that translates MQTT and Zigbee messages between HA and the dongle. If you are using HAOS, this is an add-on. If you are running HA container (as I am) you create a Z2M container and configure it for HA.

I hope that makes sense but, if this is all new to you, there will be learning curve and perhaps using the Hive hub is the easiest way to go for an immediate solution.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Yes a lot of this is completely new.
So I’m I able to use my current Hive Hub.
Then how do i control the Hive hub and and put the automations?
Is this with home assistant? Do you need to pay a sub and do I need any hardware to make this work? Thank you