Home Assistant 0.84, Lovelace UI broken

I just upgraded to Home Assistant 0.84.1 and it looks like it does not load Lovelace UI anymore. My layout is completely lost, but my Lovelace configuration file is still present.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

1 Like

I found this section in the release notes:

If you are currently testing Lovelace, please read the notes thoroughly as a lot has changed. First, we now have now three different Lovelace modes: auto-generated, storage, and yaml (the old way of doing Lovelace). The UI editor will be limited to the storage mode, in which we control how the config is stored.

So if you were using Lovelace before 0.84, you now have two options. Option one is to use the new storage mode and import your existing file. You can do this by opening the Lovelace UI and click on Configure UI, this will prompt you to change to storage mode. This will unlock a new option in the menu called “raw config editor”. Open this and paste the content of your ui-lovelace.yaml file into it and click save. Note that YAML comments are not persisted.

If you want to continue managing a YAML file, check here how to enable the YAML mode. The file ui-lovelace.yaml will now follow the same options as configuration.yaml . This means that the Lovelace YAML config is now parsed with YAML 1.1 instead of YAML 1.2. Major change is that you need to make sure that you wrap on and off with quotes in your configs!

We have also aligned the configuration of all the cards, causing breaking changes. Changes are especially focused around how we define actions for short and long presses. See [the docs][/lovelace/] for more info.

Editor UI is now further processed. You can manage your Lovelace UI without leaving your browser! It is possible to add, edit and delete views. It is possible to add, edit, move and delete cards, including custom cards!

4 Likes

Where can I find information about the new lovelace storage mode?
I did the migration from the yaml file to storage mode, but now I can access the config file only via the web interface? Where and how this file is stored?

Also all comments are lost in this “file”, now it is very hard to configure because most of my sensors and switches have some names like, and they are hard to use without comments:

- binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d00024257c2
      - binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d000237c82f
      - binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d00022f142f

The idea of the storage mode and online editing is fine, but I don’t understand why the concept is changing so often. After the previous release I spent some time to add ID’s to all elements, now I was suggested to switch to the new storage mode and no ID’s are used.

If I switch back to the YAML mode, is it still possible to edit some entries directly in the UI?

Why is this not listed as a breaking change in the release notes?!

2 Likes

/usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/.storage/lovelace

1 Like

What are the benefits for going into storage mode. Understandable that it is better for the newcomers. But for advanced users? And knowing the development pace of HA will the yaml file stay there or will be removed in the next releases?

Thanks. It’s an easy to manage json format - fine.
It should be not so complicated to implement a comment section everywhere wich could be used to store additional information. Where is the best place to suggest this feature request?