Home Assistant Add-On: AMR2MQTT

Ok, I was able to find the problem: the ID I had was a string, my bad, I was confused, upon leaving the meters empty and checking the logs I was able to find the proper ID, an integer of 8 digits, and changing it saved my configuration and now seems to be working just fine.

Setup was super easy and I was able to import my water meter consumption.
Anyone has been able to add the sensor to the new Water portion of the Energy consumption dashboard ?

can you share your setup for the water meter and what brand it is? Maybe it gives me some hints or ideas.

I left the meters defined as an empty array in order to capture everything but could not find my water member number not sure why :thinking:

Itā€™s a Neptune meter. I just went to look at the value of m3 on the meter and waited until a device showed up in that range. That was the id of my meter that i added.
Iā€™m using mosquitto mqtt and amr2mqtt with this config

meters:
  - id: xxxxxxxxxx
    protocol: scm
    name: Water meter
    type: water
    multiplier: 0.01
    unit_of_measurement: mĀ³
mqtt: {}
home_assistant_discovery_enabled: true
last_seen: ISO_8601
1 Like

Well I added a template sensor and that seems to work and I can select the sensor in the energy dashboard. So this is a workaround but I would hope the plugin would be in a position to be configured to pass on the correct attributes to HA
@CentralCommand Am I missing something in the configuration or is this not a feature currently?

- platform: template
    sensors:
      # convert value from add-in into statistic
      water_meter_total_m3:
        friendly_name: "Total Water Consumption"
        device_class: water
        unit_of_measurement: mĀ³
        value_template: "{{ ((states('sensor.water_meter_consumption') | float))  }}"
        attribute_templates:
            state_class: total_increasing 
1 Like

what does this exactly means? Mine is also a Neptune ProCode R900i 5/8" T10 but I am not able to get it working. :frowning_face:

So I have a traditional mechanical meter for water. Thereā€™s a device wired to transmit the consumption value. If I look at the mechanical meter I see a consumption value in cubic metres (m3). I use that value to identify which meter is mine then use that to configure the add-on.
For the electrical meter, Iā€™m waiting for snow to melt a bit to find the number of the meter since I realized that the RPI3b+ might not be able to support all the broadcasts and the add-on would crash on me. I was getting similar messages:

ll+, now 327
ll+, now 328
ll+, now 329
ll+, now 330
reference: addon-amr2mqtt/DOCS.md at bc8c6fb853680aea716c7e43b5b3c3794de389d7 Ā· mdegat01/addon-amr2mqtt Ā· GitHub

I was missing a number for the meter ID and also the protocol is different than yours, this is the correct version:

- id: <my_device_id>
  protocol: r900
  name: Water Meter
  unit_of_measurement: gal
  model: Neptune R900i

However, I am unable to add the sensor sensor.water_meter_consumption to my energy dashboard, and not sure why exactly since I am seeing it receiving data and showing up the total consumption :expressionless:

Docs here says:

If you manually integrate your sensors, for example, using the MQTT or RESTful integrations: Make sure you set and provide the device_class , state_class , and unit_of_measurement for those sensors.

Not sure if I need those somehow to make it to work

So you did the bit in the add-on, and at that point I also thought it would work and I hope the add-on will be modified appropriately, but in the meantime this post from above bridges the gap for me, to allow the data to be seen in the energy dashboard

1 Like

Out of curiosity, in what file do you add the template configuration? I am struggling to find the right one :expressionless:

in theory, it all goes into your configuration.yaml. If you did a separate sensors.yaml then it would go in there. This is where I put mine with all my other template sensors and it works

1 Like

New to this add-on and seems easy enough to follow; thanks for putting this together!

Iā€™ve got the add-on installed and have the Nano2+ plugged in and MQTT configured.
Because Iā€™m not entirely sure about my meter, Iā€™ve just left the ā€œmetersā€ section blank to see what I can pickup.

Using MQTT Explorer, I can see that the system is up and running, although itā€™s not picking up any meters nearby it seems because it doesnā€™t ever show any messages other than what you see in the screenshot.

I checked my logs but there wasnā€™t any useful info; because the meters section is empty, it just looks exactly like what your docs say under troubleshooting:

ll+, now 327
ll+, now 328
ll+, now 329
ll+, now 330

Is it possible that there are actually no meters readable in the area (maybe theyā€™re all encrypted)? or am I missing something?

Iā€™ve got a Itron Metris M250 gas meter and a Sensus Flexnet 530x power meter, neither of which are listed as compatible, but from my quick searches, they do appear to be smart meters.

Any suggestions would be welcome :slight_smile:

Lastly, there is a RTLAMR message which shows up every so often, but all it says is ā€œofflineā€ all the time. I did tinker with RTLMAR2MQTT and so iā€™m wondering if it could just be a remnant of that; itā€™s not part of this AMR2MQTT add-on iā€™m assuming?

This addon is great, I was able to set it up and can read from my meter. My only problem is that my meter seems to read in 10ā€™s of gallons, rather than single gallons. (at least according to water bill) The Energy dashboard shows me using 200 gallons last month, but my water bill shows 2000. How can adjust/change this?

Thereā€™s a multiplier property you can use on the meter configuration.

Iā€™ve tried that, but it doesnā€™t seem to be working.

- id: xxxxxxxx
  protocol: scm+
  name: water_meter
  icon: mdi:water
  multiplier: 10
  state_class: total_increasing

Did HA 2023.4 break this integration for someone else? I am not receiving data since I upgraded :thinking:

This shows up in the logs:
> 19:53:21.353248 main.go:145: Error reading samples: EOF

but I am not sure what it means.

well restarting Mosquito Broker and AMR2MQTT make things get back in a working state, weird, lost three days of data because of this :expressionless: now I am thinking the problem was not HA but the recent Mosquito Broker update

So I got this hooked up to my water and gas meter pretty easily.

However utilizing them on the energy dashboard was a little bit of fun. But basically

• both AMR2MQTT sensors and Home Assistant Meter Helpers didnā€™t set the right device classes
    • the water meter (Neptune R900) didnā€™t have its device_class set at all from AMR2MQTT
    • the gas meter was set to type ā€˜gasā€™ by AMRMQTT
  • The energy dashboard looks for ā€˜galā€™ and ā€˜CCFā€™, both of which could be set by AMR2MQTT for the mqtt sensors, but the home assistant meter sensor was setting ā€˜ccfā€™ which isnā€™t valid, it must be CCF

configuration.yaml - ā€˜meter consumptionā€™ are from AMR2MQTT, ā€˜meterā€™ are home assistant meter helpers

homeassistant:
  customize:
    sensor.water_meter_consumption:
    sensor.water_meter:
    sensor.gas_meter_consumption:
      device_class: gas
    sensor.gas_meter:
      device_class: gas
      unit_of_measurement: CCF

AMR2MQTTT Config

- id: xxxxxxxxxxx
  precision: 2
  manufacturer: Neptune
  model: R900
- id: xxxxxxxxx
  protocol: scm+
  name: Gas Meter
  type: gas
  unit_of_measurement: CCF
  precision: 2
  manufacturer: Itron
  model: Gen 5 500G
1 Like

I get this errorā€¦

Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001
Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.
[17:53:24] WARNING: Halt add-on with exit code 1
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
[17:53:24] INFO: Service restart after closing
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped

Iā€™m using the sdr dongle for rtl_433 stuff to, do I need 2 radios? Or can I use the same one for both services?

Hi all, new to HA in general so sorry in advance about dumb mistakes.
Iā€™m troubleshooting the AMR2MQTT/MQTT connection and coming up empty. Everything is up to date, sysinfo below:

Add-on version: 2.1.2
You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: Home Assistant OS 10.3  (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
Home Assistant Core: 2023.7.0
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2023.07.1

Iā€™ve verified that my RTL-SDR works and that my meters are readable on my PC using RTLAMR. And I can see messages published by my MQTT broker from my pc using MQTT explorer.

My mosquitto config:

logins:
  - username: mqtt-user
    password: #######
require_certificate: false
certfile: fullchain.pem
keyfile: privkey.pem
customize:
  active: false
  folder: mosquitto
  debug: true
debug: true

Ports are standard 1883 etc.

My AMR2MQTT config:

meters:
  - id: 17737313
    protocol: scm
    name: Electrical Meter
    type: energy
    manufacturer: Itron
  - id: 1567099574
    manufacturer: Neptune
mqtt:
  host: 127.0.0.1
  port: 1883
log_level: debug

The important part of the log seems to be:

INFO:root:Connecting to MQTT broker at 127.0.0.1:1883
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/amr2mqtt/amr2mqtt.py", line 515, in <module>
    mqttc = create_mqtt_client()
  File "/amr2mqtt/amr2mqtt.py", line 182, in create_mqtt_client
    client.connect(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py", line 941, in connect
    return self.reconnect()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py", line 1075, in reconnect
    sock = self._create_socket_connection()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py", line 3546, in _create_socket_connection
    return socket.create_connection(addr, source_address=source, timeout=self._keepalive)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/socket.py", line 843, in create_connection
    raise err
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/socket.py", line 831, in create_connection
    sock.connect(sa)
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused
[10:18:51] WARNING: Halt add-on with exit code 1

Various levels of logging all indicate that the connection to the broker is refused, Iā€™ve tried the shotgun approach of changing the address to everything I can think of; core-mosquitto, core-mosquitto.local, homeassistant.local, the IP of my RP4ā€¦

I have no idea. If anyone can help that would be really appreciated. Thanks

@CentralCommand
Heads up, Home Assistant has changed the way that MQTT device discovery works, and this add-on needs an update.
see github for details: MQTT discovery messages need to be updated for new Home Assistant Ā· Issue #97 Ā· mdegat01/addon-amr2mqtt Ā· GitHub