Home Assistant and Nest Camera OAuth (being depreciated)

I’ve been stuck on this integration for a week now. I’ve gone through the steps outlined at least 6 times. I’ve even created a new Google Cloud project and started over. Every time it is hung up on what looks to be the final step. Here’s the error message I get.

Retrying setup: Failed to create subscriber 'projects/<PROJECTNAME>/subscriptions/home-assistant-eFWEfweIwfe': Deadline of 60.0s exceeded while calling target function, last exception: 503 failed to connect to all addresses

I’m out of ideas of things to try (other than selling all my Nest equipment).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Seems like a network issue. Maybe related to ipv6? Just guessing based on previous experience with people reporting strange errors like this.

I’m just so very frustrated trying to get this OAuth nonsense configured once and for all… I have followed every instruction, to the letter, and when I try to add the Nest integration, and authorize (as others above have noted above) I get a very generic plain white Google screen “Can’t link to HA Nest Control Please contact HA Nest Control if the issue persists” no more, no less - no proper errors, nothing in my logs - nothing. (HA Nest Control was the name of my project)
I had deleted the Nest integration entirely from HA, so now, even my old method of re-authenticating every 7 days is gone and I have no Nest access in HA.
I’m not a software developer, but I’m also not an idiot. I have followed every step and simply cannot get this to work any more. I beg someone to point me where I might be going wrong. I have no errors to post, no logs (because I can’t add the integration any more in the first place).

Yep, this is completely par for the course.

I believe these are the things to check:

• ensure the device access console oauth Id is updated to the Google cloud console oauth Id, which is easy to miss after resetting things or changing from app auth to web auth
  • ensure the Google cloud console and device access console are set up using the same Google accounts and not differnet accounts in the same browser

Let me know if either of those help and if not we can try more drastic things.

You’re a godsend, @allenporter … I swear, I checked these time and time again… I can only guess that I went in there to check it again and maybe saved and caused a new ID to be generated?? I dunno.
ugghhh - sorry. As usual, you were right. :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply - I was at the end of my proverbial rope on this one!

I’ve just made all the same mistakes myself…

I have an update to include this in the troubleshooting for next release since this is pretty common. Cheers.

I have been using the app for years an I am confused by what I need to do to update to the new authentication method. I see nothing in my existing setup showing how to change the authentication method.

Are all the changes done in the Google authentication? If so, do I need to also change stuff in HA?

1 Like

Hi, the instructions are here: Nest - Home Assistant for how to upgrade credentials.

If you have bene using the SDM API and Web Auth for years there is nothing you need to do: In step one it says If the Nest integration does not have an Alert then you probably used Web Auth and have nothing to do. if you are running the latest version of home assistant.

I received an alert in the beta’s new repair. This last time I change anything in Google was 2020.

What does it say?

Let me say it this way: there are many different user states and issues with respect to nest. I need a lot more context to understand how I can help you (like a lot of specifics). I mentioned a link that describes the upgrade steps for one issue with criteria to know if you are affected or not. Repairs is new so not sure if it’s also including alert data I’m not familiar with.

In repair it says Nest Desktop Auth Deprecation. I’m not sure where what or I how to change in my Google authentication.

There is no error in the integration itself. In the google device access console it says I am using the Required Scopes https://www.googleapis.com/auth/sdm.service. Apparently my current credentials is set as TV and limited input. I have no idea why? Anyway, there is no way to change this. I can create a new one, but not sure how to put the information into the Nest integration as it is not asking for it.

TV and limited input doesn’t work with SDM. Are you sure that’s not for Google calendar?

If you don’t have the screen shown in the docs I pointed to then you are fine. That was written before the home assistant repair alert existed so just look at the screenshot. (You likely aren’t affected it sounds like)

It is setup for TV limited input. It is working since Jan 2020 like this. I’ll try and create a new one correctly and then add nest again.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry but you’re missing my bigger point. Do not change anything unless you see https://www.home-assistant.io/images/integrations/nest/attention.png in the integrations page. The alert doesn’t apply to you unless you see that.

The Google Nest SDM API did not exist in January 2020.

(It sounds like you’re using the works with legacy works with nest API. that will be unsupported at a later time, but not the point of the alert)

So what do I need to do to avoid future problems? A change in Nest, HA or both!

From the limited information given, sounds like nothing right now.

In the future you should move away from the legacy works with nest API, but I didn’t re-instate a deprecation plan for it yet given the other authentication troubles with SDM. There would likely be a new alert in the future.

1 Like

I have used Nest before it became part of Google. I am not sure I have the legacy works with nest API. Where do I check?

Perhaps move to a different thread given this topic is about app auth oauth deprecation