Home-assistant appliance

I really think homeassistant should try to get this designation as well. This gets even closer to a commercial product. Well done on openhab’s part.

You know, I stated using HA because it was so flexible.

Some people don’t like “all in one, we’re going to do everything for you, trust us it will work” product.

I guess there’s room for both but I hope something like that would never take time away from the core development.

Yeah this doesn’t stop flexibility it just packages the software with the OS and deploys it all as one entity to get people up and running faster. I think in hassio you would still have full control of integrations.

Like the install method Home Assistant OS already does? Home Assistant has it’s own OS, which is also called Home Assistant OS (bad name chosen, but it is as it is)

1 Like

I said a lot of things that were incorrect and have retracted them … :man_shrugging:

Other than that, the availability of the Supervised edition as a snap would be very convenient.

Based on what I read, it requires you to install Ubuntu first and then you install openHAB as a snap. What you described (packages openHAB with Ubuntu) is more integrated but I can’t find evidence of that in their documentation. Can you direct me to where it indicates this level of integration?

Scratch that; I found it. You’re right; it’s available as a disk-image.

1 Like

Yes, but as a native Ubuntu image.

It has been decided recently that Debian will be the only officially supported Linux distribution, so this is not going to happen. What would be the benefit of this, if Home Assistant already has it’s own OS?

The VM installation instructions are child’s play. Installing Home Assistant OS in a VM should be so easy.

If the purpose of an image it’s to reduce the amount of work the end user to install then this would accomplish that. It would also create a partnership and feedback loop with a Linux maintainer (Cononical) that would maintain some level of the image creation, possibly taking some of the workload off of devs.

@123 I agree the install steps are super easy, but it is still extra steps.

Personally I have always thought about starting up a home automation company, from this perspective this makes build and rollout of machines much easier.

That’s exactly what you get when you use the Home Assistant OS install method.
There are images available check the docs about installing Home Assistant.

Yes I’m aware this does that with possible benefits for the devs and an alliance to Ubuntu. Openhab definitely capitalized on this and it would be good for HA to have the same option.

Not really familiar with snaps but reading about it has me interested. The biggest back and forth around the supervised install method has been around what exactly is supported when it comes to host access. Most people doing the supervised install method did so because they want to be able to use the host for more then just Home Assistant but the dev team has made it very clear that supervisor’s dependencies are complex and they can’t really support supervised installs on systems with more then just HA running.

Reading this, I’m wondering if this presents a solution that potentially makes everyone happy. I see a number of key points in the description of what a snap gives:

• package any app for every Linux desktop, server, cloud or device, and deliver updates directly
  • applications compressed together with their dependencies
  • designed to be sandboxed and isolated from other system software

All those things at least sound like what everyone was looking for out of the supervised install. Devs want a way to deliver the supervised install without exposing themselves to tons of issues around one user’s specific configuration of their host. Users want a way to install HA alongside other software without breaking one or the other. If the supervised install could be turned into a snap would that mean the restrictions could be loosened to allow users to safely install other snaps alongside it and still be considered a supported install?

I am honestly asking, I don’t know how much of that is marketing and how much is real benefit to users and developers.

I know one thing about Ubuntu’s snaps : the mosquitto snap does not store its persistence database, and there is NO WAY you can change this behavior. So no more snaps for me.

I’m surprised no one is mentioning docker. I personally run my installation on a HP enterprise server together with other services with Debian as a base. All my services are running in docker containers. I don’t remember the guide I followed, but there was basically just an sh file to run to get going. I think it is based on the work in Hassio. Very nicely packaged, and super easy to install addons (they get their own docker containers automatically). I get that some may not want to run more services thus lack some of my needs, but besides maybe having to learn a bit about docker it is really simple to install and maintain. The operating system does not matter either using containers. No problems with dependencies etc. I would be happy to see an official docker image if it does not already exist.

All install methods use docker except for Home Assistant Core in a virtual environment.

It exists and you are using it already if you are using docker.

Perfect. I was not sure how this was done today. My setup has just been running updates for quite some time now. But why the need for a snap then if it all uses docker? And what is this talk about system dependencies etc. Personal preference of course…
So much has happened with home assistant. It’s a joy to see how it grows. I’m looking forward to take a look at the installation process next time it’s relevant. But for now there “unfortunately” is no need for that.
One thing that would be awesome is of one could install the plugins on a remote docker host. For example running deConz on a raspberry pi where I am okay with allowing USB access etc. Also for systems with low performance when they expand and naturally take more resources (installation of new plugins, more nodes, automations etc)

You can already do this with deconz, I’m doing it like this in my dev setup. It’s pretty simple, attach the conbee to the pi, install the deconz software, use the ip of the pi when configuring the deconz integration for Home Assistant, profit.
You can also do USB-over-ip. You could also install Home Assistant on the Pi with the USB stick and connect the instances throug mqtt statestream/
eventstream or home-assistant-remote.