Home Assistant Assist Desktop

After using assist on browser, on android, and via the ESPHome voice assistant, I saw a gap in the market for a desktop version. So, I made a desktop app which is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Feel free to check out the GitHub repository and download the latest release from the releases page.

Let me know what you think, and report any issues you find in the GitHub issues page.

5 Likes

:test_tube: Currently looking for testers on MacOS and Linux.

:technologist: Any contributors are very welcome as well

I will test is when i get back home on linux (fedora 39) and report back :slight_smile:
I donā€™t really use it because i canā€™t make half of it work in french but it would still be cool to have something that work under linux

1 Like

This is awesome and a great idea! Just gave it a shot on Ubuntu 22 and have a few comments

• Are http urls allowed? Couldnā€™t seem to get it to take my local ip, but it worked with my public url. I got this warning/error:

[2023-12-18][15:41:08][INFO][r@tauri://localhost/assets/index-vnUwlV94.js:5:18938] Validating settings: {ā€œhome_assistant_urlā€:ā€œhttp://homeassistant.local:8123ā€}
[2023-12-18][15:41:08][INFO][r@tauri://localhost/assets/index-vnUwlV94.js:5:19094] Home Assistant URL is not HTTPS

• Saving settings was difficult, you have to click ā€œsaveā€ to get it to validate settings, then again to save once it was validated. Took me a bit to get the hang of.
  • I installed via the AppImage, and I canā€™t get any microphone input to come in, says Iā€™m missing some dependencies. Iā€™ll try again with the deb install and/or see if I can get those installed

GStreamer element appsink not found. Please install it
GStreamer element audiointerleave not found. Please install it
GStreamer element autoaudiosink not found. Please install it

• I canā€™t seem to move the window at all. Not sure if this is expected behavior or not.
  • Keyboard shortcuts only work when the window is in focus.

Having said all that, it does work via typing! I can enter commands and everything seems to work great, which is awesome. Iā€™ll use this tons in my home office. Iā€™m excited to see where this goes. Let me know if you need me to test anything else for you.

1 Like

Unfortionately not, the production build of a tauri app uses a https connection which cannot be mixed with http.

Thanks for that. Iā€™ll see if I can get those added to the docs and or installers. I would guess being an appimage you would still have to have those installed.

Are you on wayland? There is a known issue with tauri on this:

Iā€™m actually on Xorg. Tried switching to Wayland out of curiousity, and got this error instead:

(home-assistant-assist:273299): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 15:22:29.694: Settings schema ā€˜org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettingsā€™ does not contain a key named ā€˜antialiasingā€™

Thanks for opening those issues, if I hit anything else Iā€™ll open an issue directly instead!

I try to download the windows version (setup.exe) and anti virus warn for a Trojan:
Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml

Strange?

Got this running on windows. Really cool. A nice way to get to assist on windows.

Would it be possible to add an option to map the shortcut key right into the microphone listening mode? That way I can hit a button on the stream deck and speak my command quickly.

1 Like

Where are we supposed to get the ā€œHome Assistant Tokenā€ thatā€™s requested in the settings? I remember seeing a place for it in HA, but donā€™t remember where. Itā€™s also not clear if that is what is actually being asked for.

1 Like

On my Mac it will not allow me to run app.

Alt + Shift + A

I think the stream deck is able to send macros/keyboard presses, so this should be possible

1 Like

I have installed it on MacOS and you need to allow the app to run in your settings since itā€™s not from a trusted developer. After that you need to configure it. I created a access token and put in the URL to my HA instance. The problem that then occurs is that I cannot save the settings. (I use the URL like: http://192.168.1.1:8123)

get it from HA dashboard, click your user icon and generate a new token for the app to access it. you can copy the token to the desktop software.

You need to allow itā€™s execution in your preferences (use the MacOs help to point you to the right location by clicking the question mark in the window that gives you the execution to allowed message). Then you can allow it to execute the software on MacOS

HTH

I try to get the app running on MAC. I have cretaed an access token and put it in the form but i can not save the changes. When i klick the save button nothing happens.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-04 um 14.48.08

Any ideas why it stucks?

This has recently been added to the documentation, but a HTTPS URL is required for this app due to security limitations on a tauri app

Sorry, havent seen that in the docs. Now its working.

Odd one on my end today. Installed this on my Mac, Sonoma 14.2.1.
Connects over HTTPS and token was good. Bring up windowā€¦type, but enter doesnt seem to do anythingā€¦started/restarted the app, nothing works after I type anything or hit enter.
Logs show nothing out of the ordinary:

2024-01-21][21:00:34][TRACE][tao::platform_impl::platform::window_delegate] Triggered `windowDidResignKey:`
[2024-01-21][21:00:34][TRACE][tao::platform_impl::platform::window_delegate] Completed `windowDidResignKey:`
[2024-01-21][21:00:34][INFO][rt@tauri://localhost/assets/index-CGDvirTe.js:4:25957] Window lost focus
[2024-01-21][21:00:34][INFO][rt@tauri://localhost/assets/index-CGDvirTe.js:4:25957] Window hidden