Home Assistant Automatic - Newbie- Automation

Oops sorry i’ll get the formatting sorted.

Good evening :slight_smile:

Not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post the request.

Fairly new (and by that i mean a matter of weeks) to using Home Assistant and trying to make what feels like a complicated automation for some lights/motion.

The idea is to create an automation that when it’s sunset and motion is detected for a light it comes on, when motion is no longer detected after a set time the light turns off.

If motion is detected between 22:00 and 7:00 it turns on at a low brightness for a set time before motion is no longer detected and then turning the light off.

I’ve probably completely made this more complicated that it needs to be but this is the general idea of what im trying to create… Hopefully it makes sense.

Please start by formatting your post (and see all the other points there).

Then… I’d suggest you start by not trying to do it all in one automation. Multiple simple automations are better than one complicated thing.

1 Like

Based on what I can see in your unformatted automation, the following automation should effectively do the same thing. It turns on the light whenever motion is detected. The light is normally set to 100% brightness except during the night when it will be set to 20%. It turns off the light when there’s no motion for at least 1 minute.

The only difference is that, unlike your version, the period of “no motion” is fixed at 1 minute. Your version seems to reduce it to 30 seconds during the night. In order to simplify the automation, I set it to 1 minute regardless of the time of day.

alias: Landing Motion
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    target:
      entity_id: binary_sensor.landing_motion_iaszone_2
    to: 'on'
  - platform: state
    target:
      entity_id: binary_sensor.landing_motion_iaszone_2
    to: 'off'
    for: '00:01:00'
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
     target:
       entity_id: light.landing_light_light
     data:
       brightness_pct: >
         {% set is_dark =  now().hour >= 22 or now().hour < 7 %}
         {{ 0 if trigger.to_state.state == 'off' else 20 if is_dark else 100 }}"
2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: i shall get the post formatted and reedit the post