Home Assistant breaking on Raspberry pi 4 after plugging in sonoff usb dongle

Hi, I have this weird issue with my sonoff zigbee dongle. Everything have been working great for more than half a year using zigbee2mqtt, but recently all my addons stopped working giving all sorts of errors (seems like it’s the supervisor breaking), i cannot take backups (or see recent), or do updates or anything.

I did a reinstall from a backup from 2 months ago, but the issue still persisted. I managed to narrow it down the the sonoff zigbee dongle. If i unplug the usb and restart HA everything is fine (besides ofc zigbee) and whenever i plug it in supervisor dies…

I tried doing a new flash, but still no change. The dongle is connected to my pi using a 1.5m long extension cable.

I’ve only managed to find 1 dude here on the forums with the same issue, but he solved it by plugging in the usb properly, which is not my issue.

Any help would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

If you plug the dongle into another (windows) machine, does it show in device manager

if no, the dongle is probably broken

if yes, check power supply on RPI4

Yes it does show, just flashed the latest firmware unto it successfully.

As for the psu, i use the stock rpi4 psu.
also if i plug in the usb while HA is running it usually works for a little while before everything starts chrashing.

Forgot to mention, i run on HAOS, recently switched from supervised, but that did not solve my issue

Use a powered USB hub.

1 Like

Does the official psu not deliver enough power?

Right now I use the Argon one m.2 case, but the issue was also present before switching to ssd

The problem is that there’s a limit to how much power it has for the USB bus, and you’ve got both an SSD and the Zigbee coordinator.

I see, do you have any recommendations for a sufficient psu?

I used to run a RPi4 + Sonoff Zigbee v3.0 on a stock RPi official PSU fine, but adding the SSD might well be the issue. The trouble is likely to be how to get the current to all devices - the RPi4 on-board regulator may also be an issue, as well as the mains PSU.

I suspect that’s why someone suggested a powered USB hub - that way you can power the RPI4 from the official PSU, AND power peripherals from a second supply via a hub. That way you’re sharing the load.

Now, Argon cases have a good reputation but I don’t know how it feeds 5V power - e.g. does the M.2 board get power from the RPi, or do you power the case itself?

A cheap USB-C tester might help here - these can show both the voltage (should be close to 5V) and the current (from memory, RPI official PSUs are rated at about 2A?).

The other thing to try is to move the Sonoff Zigbee to a USB-2 port (USB-3 causes interference), and add a 0.5m USB extension cable for the same reason (e.g. check the contents of a SkyConnect - a long extension cable is included).

The point of the powered USB hub is that there’s no “sufficient PSU” if you need more power to the USB devices than the Pi can provide. Even if you’ve got a 50A PSU, the Pi can’t use all of it.

Hmm, only thing is that i had the same issue before buying the argon (with the m.2) hence the zigbee dongle was only peripheral i had connected. Also everything had been working well for roughly 6 months, so i don’t see why it suddenly doesn’t get enough power. The PSU is rated for 5V 3A (15W).

As for the extension cable i already have a 1.5m extension and the usb itself is around 1-1.5 meter from the closest electronical device.

I still use only the stock rpi psu to power everything, so with the Argon it might be good to upgrade anyways. But it still doesn’t answer why the issue was there before the Argon :confused:

So… pre-existing M.2 SATA issues, rather than hardware / PSU, then?

The Argon SSD interface is likely decent, leaving the card itself perhaps?

Plugging in/out the Zigbee coordinator could trigger a lot of disk I/O, and hence a crash related to disk not power?

mh i used just a standard sd card before.

Also if i plug in the dongle while the pi is off, it won’t even start. Or it will but there is no video output and can’t ping it.

i might just try to buy a powered usb hub, although the sonoff dongle is only rated at 100 mA max load at 5v. Shouldn’t the Pi be able to provide that? I’ve read that it is able to output 1.2 A across all usb ports, and since i’m only using the one, it should be plenty.

Which RPi USB port though? Try a black USB-2 one, not blue USB-3? (Hmm, this is complicated by how the case attaches…)

100mA is indeed trivial compared to 3000mA, unless there are spikes in demand from other items.

Looking at the Argon case, it looks well engineered (which explains the good reviews):

Northern or Southern hemisphere? (e.g. heatwave needing cooling?)

Still sounds a bit strange and inconclusive - which this sysadmin usually takes as a sign that backups need to be taken and tested even more regularly than usual just in case.

1 Like

I tried switching to a USB-2 port, and it seems to be working… hmm strange, i can’t explain why tho… :stuck_out_tongue:

I will wait and see if the issue will return, otherwise thanks a ton for your help! :smiley:

Blue USB-3 are known to cause interference - Black USB-2 are usually fine (think the higher data rate has harmonics around the 2.4GHz range).

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the advice!

See more related tips here → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization