Home Assistant Cast

Hey Juice,

I don’t know why, and maybe it is because of all the restarts I’ve done today, but now it suddenly started to work. But it still only works when using the ‘1’,‘2’,‘3’ and so on. Path names doesn’t work, but maybe that is related to this:

But overall it looks like it won’t work unless I open up the cast.home-assistant.io and Authorize.
When that part is done, then it will allow me to do the cast.love… and the ‘0’.
As soon as Google Chrome is stopped or PC is shut down. Then I won’t be able to cast again until cast.home has been started again :thinking:

Does anyone else also struggles getting the feed from your cameras, when casting to the Nest Hub?
Works fine with the rtsp stream, if you ask it to cast it directly.

I stopped using stream, I just use the play function to “cast” my camera, works much better

A Google hub finally arrived, and then the puzzle began…

Not sure if I need anything special in the Lovelace or configuration.yaml at all, to be able to cast the HA instance to the Hub.
When using the cast.homeassistant.io site in a chrome browser on my MacBook, it tries to authenticate, but then I always see:

So this is fairly basic… what am I supposed to do?
My Hub is seen in Ha as a chromecast media_player, but so far nothing else has been done.

Please assist me with some pointers?

Also, when on the Hub, I can swipe the obvious photos and news pages, but how to go to the HA instance? Is there a browser on the Hub available, or is it merely a receiver of a cast originated elsewhere. Iow, if I were to see my Ha Lovelace on the Hub, can we switch screens to and from?

I can see the Show Demo, and interact with it, looking quite nice indeed! So the cast system is able to find all my cast devices alright.

also, something happens when doing this:

it shows me the frame of the homepage, but filled with all red cards except for the mini-weather-card, which shows correctly, and some badges atop. All cards (made of custom:button-card have 'cannot read property 'config' of null'. Trying another page with regular entities cards etc shows alright.

I do notice that none of the customizations setup in custom-ui seem to work. Making casting as it stands a bit of a setback, if all carefully selected and configured interface aspects are left out…

So some things work, but the main setup is very confusing and not working at all… how to proceed?

thanks!

small update

after having deleted 127.0.0.1 and using the nabu casa login, I can login, select the views to cast and that works alright (albeit without all my button cards, which build about 75 % of my Lovelace interface…so useless for now)

that being said, I still see this Cast API unavailable:

using a simple setup like:

- type: entities
    title: Cast Control
    show_header_toggle: false
    entities:
      - type: cast
        name: System
        view: 'home_assistant'

- type: cast
        name: Lights
        view: 'lights'

Why can’t HA see the Cast API? This isn’t very straightforward at all…frustrating it is :wink:

last issue is solved because I mistakenly had the wrong brower in focus… Chrome shows fine now:

strangely enough the error in the above card changes to ‘No devices found’ when cast to the view containing that card Cast control…

Hi, whatever view_path I try I always get “Unable to find a view path …”
Only one that works is default_view which displays an overview of all badges and entities – nothing I have configured in the Lovelace YAML view.

On https://cast.home-assistant.io/ I only see HOME view, which points to this crazy all stuff view.

Did anybody found a fix to this error please?

I get the same. I filed this issue yesterday https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/32370

Hi guys, I don’t know what it is, but the cast has stopped showing me the pages in panel mode. Has anyone else happened?

Just updated to 0.107.7 and panel mode cast just shows a white screen. time to start digging.

It is strange, because until yesterday the panel mode worked and it was already in the 0.107.7, but now it does not work for me either

Yeah, I haven’t messed with my cast in a few days so it probably wasn’t the change. I just updated and connected my cast hub back up and noticed after the update. There shows to have been a bump to cast 4.2.0 in the beta fixes in 0.106 so they may be working on cast?

Had these white screens on and off. The pop up out of nowhere, and the next day they are gone and the cast works as expected.
I think this has something to do with cast.home-assistant.io. Did not dig in to a wire shark log, but I am guessing that every time you start a cast it’s connecting via cast.home-assistant.io to your nest hub. Right now I am using catt. 100% local connection. Works 100/100 and has more features.

Is there anyone who can tell me how to choose which theme is being presented through the cast?
When I cast, the default theme is the one presented.
Please help :slight_smile:

So I had to casting part set up quite quickly :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, now I am facing an issue where sliders are not supported, so it looks.

I defined the following:

snooze_min_woonkamer:
  name: Snooze
  icon: mdi:timer
  min: 0
  max: 59
  step: 5

When I add this to my dashboard view, I get a normal slider. However, when I cast the view to the Google Nest Hub the following error is shown:

Custom element doesn't exist: hui-input-number-entity-row. entity: input_number.snooze_min_woonkamer.

Anyone any thoughts?

What do you mean by more features?

With catt you can cast a full website. So you have the ability to cast your entire home assistant page with header and sidebar. You can also cast a custom Lovelace view in kiosk mode and use camera’s, unlike ha cast.
This is a Lovelace view in kiosk mode with custom sidebar. Works great!

3 Likes

Looks great. Is it the custom sidebar from dbuit you are using?
Where you able to use that on one view only? When I installed it, it showed up on every view but maybe I missed a setting.

And when using catt I keep getting the username / password screen of HA in the Nest hub, although I have configured trusted_networks. I even added trusted_users for the IP of the hub as an extra config, but I still keep the username/password page. And as the hub doesn’t have a keyboard that wont work. Edit: nevermind, the option to select a user as part of the trusted network was not visible but was there and I was able to successfully select it. Probably it is not visible due to the theme I am using. But that part works now.

Thanks! Yes. This is the custom sidebar made by dbuit. Must say that I do like the fact that the sidebar stays in place the whole time due to the layout I am using, but I get your point that that could come in handy. Maybe you can ask in the official thread if this is possible?
If you use only one user and you have configured trusted_networks the login will always continue.

Can I ask if you have a guide? I use catt to cast on my googble nest hub some website but it’s impossible for me cast https://XXXXX.duckdns.org:XXX where I have home assistant, becouse it ask me user and password. Do you use shell command like this:

catt -d 'XXXXXdevicename' cast_site 'https://XXXXXXXX.duckdns.org:XXXXX'

Or do you have other methods? can you post it? (remember to use XXXX to censor your private info)
What are you using in trusted network? The touch control works?

EDIT: my big problem is that I can cast home assistant but in the screen of google nest appears user and password… that I can’t insert… so I have to understand how insert that device in trusted network. Help?

I do not have a guide somewhere unfortunately. But i can try to point you into the right direction.

For the username and password prompt you should add this to your configuration.yaml:

homeassistant:
  name: choosename
  auth_providers:
    - type: trusted_networks
      trusted_networks:
        - 192.168.1.0/24 #replace with your own
      allow_bypass_login: true
    - type: homeassistant
      api_password: !secret http_password

This way the login process goes automatically.
I have only one user so the login always goes automatically. I don’t care about other users and/or permissions because me and my girlfriend are the only one using it. If you have more users than you should be able to select the correct user and the login should continue, but i have no experience with that.

Your shell command looks good. There is nothing to add to it.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot but I received:

I think that the problem is that I insert the local internal ip of my device: 192.168.1.111/32 ( can you confirm that is /32 and not /24 I never understood the difference :sweat_smile: )
But when I had tried to log in with user and password the home assistant notification told me that there was a try connection faild from my public internet static ip (and not the local one).