Home Assistant Cloud Alternatives

How come you are forking Hasska as opposed to just contributing a PR back to the existing project?

The last commit was 5 months ago, and there are standing PRs not accepted, like #98, and the author has had no other (visible) activity on GitHub since.

If activity springs back up, I can always create a PR to merge back in :slight_smile:

That’s the beauty of version control.

1 Like

How it this different from Emulated Hue bridge?

I second this question

Haaska supports Climate, atleast I can get temperature readings from Alexa. Haaska V3 is the way to go. Thanks for forking it. I hope I can be of help once the V3 framework is laid. It would be awesome to be able to control media players, speakers and all the goodies that comes with V3. My Haaska lambda has been working without a hitch since may. Cheers!

1 Like

emulated hue identifies all devices as “light” type, making other devices such as TV unable to take full advantage of the benefits offered by the new Alexa-enabled Group in the Alexa app.

Quoted from Now Available: Routines, Alexa-Enabled Groups, and Smart Home Device State in the Amazon Alexa App : Alexa Blogs

With Alexa-enabled Groups, customers no longer need to remember the specific name of a smart device or group of smart devices to control them. As shown below, a customer can now include their Echo devices in specific smart home groups, enabling Alexa to act more intelligently on requests. For example, when a customer walks into the living room, they can say, “Alexa, turn on the lights” rather than “Alexa, turn on the living room lights.”

I have tested this with HA Cloud. At the moment, only lights and TV are supported. I am waiting for other device types such as fan, AC and speaker.

Ok. As I just want to control lights I can use Emulated Hue. Thank you for the info though.

Are you sure about alexa-enabled groups and TVs? I have just created a scratch skill with v3 support. I see my Living Room TV as TV. If I say, “alexa, pause TV” it can’t find my TV. It just works with, “alexa, pause living room tv”. But it perfectly works with lights, “alexa, lights on”.

I’m using HA Cloud and it works as expected.

I have added alexa_display_categories: tv in customize section for that entity.

I never try pause command because my TV entity only support on/off and volume up/down.

Can you open you TV device in Alexa app? Does it look the same as mine?

Yes same.

Looks like it’s a bug. I can turn on/off TV, but I can’t play/pause it using device type. Thanks

1 Like

yeah… i can only turn the tv on/off. i still cannot turn up/down the volume or mute.

while you are it, are you able to include other device types such as fans, speaker and AC?

I have implemented support for switches, lights, TVs and scenes. Unfortunately I don’t have fans or AC smart devices.

1 Like

Haaska still works fine for me. I’m able to use hass scripts to control just about anything.
You could easily do this for the use case of tripping individual speakers as asked above.
Broadlink IR/RF controls integrate as switches to control the TV/set-top boxes/Ceiling Fans too.

For sensor status, I used the trick to name the invocation name to “me” so I can say things like “Alexa”:

“tell me about the humidor”
“tell me about the front door”
“tell me a hint”
“tell me about the temperature”
etc.

I do have an issue in that the new simplified groups in the built-in alexa app don’t work for me, so I can’t get assigning a dot to a room and just saying “turn on the lights” to work for me, but that is not a big deal IMO.

I’m going to ride out haaska until i’m forced to move and have not yet upgraded hassio from 59.2 to 60.0 … I’m waiting to see what is up with the whole cloud thing first.

If push comes to shove I will have a lot of amazon gear for sale and will migrate to a local snips setup i suppose, but I’ve been part of this community for long enough to trust the decision makers to do the right thing in the spirit of total control of the home.

@masterkenobi

I just figured out a way to add other characteristics other than on/off such as increase/decrease fan speed working with the Node-Red local node if you’re interested.

The key is to attach the debug onto the Alexa command and read the output. Then I saw there’s a few values it passes on such as a boolean whether it’s an on/off command or something else. When you say “Alexa increase the fan/tv/etc.” It will pass brightness characteristics which you can use to trigger scripts such as volume or speed up/down. I can post a screenshot if you’re interested.

can you post one? im interested in the setup

Sure. I’ll post tomorrow in a separate thread and copy you so it’s easier to find for others as well. Cheers.

@LaFed @masterkenobi Here’s the mini-tutorial for adding more than just on/off commands with Node-Red here…

Just to keep everyone up to date here - while I haven’t gotten around to learning Python myself just yet, there are two people that seem to be working on the conversion to v3.

Mike Grant: https://github.com/mike-grant/haaska/
Bkryza: https://github.com/bkryza/haaska

There’s even a third person that is taking the work from the other two, merging it together, and building further on it: https://github.com/Minimad-Diver/haaska

I’m actively watching all three of these with interest. I’ve updated my repo to reflect these others in the readme. I am moving mine to archive/read-only in a few days.

5 Likes