Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

What’s the difference between installing Adguard via the add-on store vs installing via the Integration page? Or are both required?

@ManImCool Adguard as addon installs the server that allows to filter requests - it is required if you don’t have a preexisting server.

Adguard as integration allows interaction and visualization with home assistant from an existing server, such as the one that runs from the addon, or a server located on another system - it is therefore optional. Honestly I only use the integration to monitor adguard speed. It also allows for example to enable or disable functions from your lovelace dashboard.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone know if we can toggle these services from a Home Asisstant automation in an easy way?

I have set up the integration and from what I see I would need to add and remove block-urls manually. Is that they only way? I would love to get these toggles in the integration directly in HA if possible.

1 Like

See here for workaround: https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-adguard-home/issues/87

Would be good to revive that feature request as a forum topic I suppose.

1 Like

Here’s my take: [ADD] Block Services to adguard

1 Like

This is better, I added custom filters. But I like this way better. I think we should to like @Alec suggests and add it as a feature request.

Hi there,

I am using HA 2021.1.4 with most recent version of AdGuard Home on a Synology DS216+ II inside Docker 18.09. The system operates fine.
However, since the beginning a few weeks ago, I notice a (partial) slow but steady increase of the avg. DNS query processing speed. I used to start at under 50 ms, today it has reached 301 ms.

Has anyone a hint how to solve this issue?

Many thanks!

Is it possible at all for the ingress add-on to connect to a AdGuard instance on another machine?
I’d like to be able to access the Control Panel from within HA, but prefer my AdGuard on a different machine as the raspberry pi it is on auto powers up if there is a power outage, whilst HA is run on a Linux machine which doesn’t auto power on.

Thanks.

Did you find a fix for this. I have been running adguard DHCP for about 12 months and it stopped all of a sudden today and I can no longer enable it.

1 Like

Did you find a fix for this? I have been running adguard DHCP for approx 12 months and it stopped today and I can no longer enable

1 Like

Hi,

It seems like it’s not possible to use AdGuard and dnsmasq at the same time. I’d like to be able to use the option hosts to override external domains with local addresses.

The Pi-hole add-on (deprecated) was able to do that, probably because it had dnsmasq included. Is it possible to do the same with AdGuard?

Thanks!

Hi,
probably stupid question but what is the difference between this addon and the adguard integration?

Looks just up this page Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

1 Like

Thanks, so I need the addon. Now I am stumble how to set the static ip in step 1. I am looking for a video just to be sure that I will not brake anything

I installed the addon and I get the following in the logs.
Some help with that? should I change the 53 port to something else and open it in my router?

-----------------------------------------------------------
 Add-on: AdGuard Home
 Network-wide ads & trackers blocking DNS server
 Add-on version: 3.0.0
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS  (amd64 / qemux86-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2021.1.5
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.01.7
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
Log level is set to INFO
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] adguard.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] adguard.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] discovery.sh: executing... 
[23:10:48] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
[cont-init.d] discovery.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[23:10:49] INFO: Starting AdGuard Home server...
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] AdGuard Home, version 0.104.3, channel release, arch linux amd64
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] Initializing auth module: /data/adguard/data/sessions.db
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] Auth: initialized.  users:0  sessions:0
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] Initialize web module
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [error] Couldn't load filter 1 contents due to stat /data/adguard/data/filters/1.txt: no such file or directory
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] Go to http://127.0.0.1:45158
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] Starting the DNS proxy server
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] Ratelimit is enabled and set to 20 rps
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] The server is configured to refuse ANY requests
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] DNS cache is enabled
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] MaxGoroutines is set to 300
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [info] Creating the UDP server socket
2021/01/28 23:10:49 [fatal] couldn't start forwarding DNS server: couldn't listen to UDP socket, cause: listen udp 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use

i followed this and adguard has started. that’s ok for now
Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home - Home Assistant OS - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I have the same problem.

I think the instructions are only specific to the addon running in HassOS and not the Supervised version (e.g. Home Assistant running on top of ubuntu - which i know is not a supported OS, but still would be nice if some simple instructions would be available on how to configure your static IP on the ubuntu host).

Following the current instructions does not help.

1 Like

@asemev
In my system Ha is running surevised in ubuntu desktop. I followed the below instructions and I replaced the dns with my router’s ip. (192.168.1.1) and it helped me make it work.
Set permanent DNS nameservers on Ubuntu or Debian with resolv.conf (ricmedia.com)

Thank you Makis. I saw your posts (after my post) and did the same and it did make it work but it caused some side effects on my host ubuntu machine where HA runs. Like everytime i wanted to run some command, even the sudo command, i got an error message saying the hostname not recognized. and some commands didnt run. I guess you never experienced these issues? so eventually a friend of mine helped as follows:

1. went back to DHCP on supervisor host settings (i dont need a whole network wide adguard. i just need it on certain phones/tablets at home which i manually enter the HA/Adguard IP address for DNS.

2. went back to original /etc/resolv.conf file (so undid the changes you made - i.e. entering the host IP)

3. made sure the /etc/hostname file has my “my machine name” (in my case its simply ubuntu).

4. made sure /etc/hosts contains:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.1.1 ubuntu

1. Disabled and stopped the resolve daemon:

sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved.service
sudo service systemd-resolved stop

So now adguard works perfectly. Knock on wood. lets see how long. One thing i’m not sure is whether the resolve daemon will start again after a reboot. lets see :slight_smile: