Home Assistant Community Add-on: WireGuard

I get the same error.

strange… youre running this: https://download.wireguard.com/windows-client/wireguard-amd64-0.0.24.msi

from here?

https://www.wireguard.com/install/

Yes. I did finally get it working. The installer was hung up on the first failed attempt to install.

Now for some reason, when the tunnel on my desktop is active, I can’t access Hassio with my DuckDNS address. Is that supposed to happen?

You are on VPN use your internal address…

1 Like

Hi, I successfully installed it and works great.

Only thing is not working is the use of DNS, but probably is related to Android + Browser Chrome?

Below my configuration, 192.168.1.10 is trhe HASSIO installation with pi-hole addon working.

When browsing from my Android in 4G (outside my LAN), I still see all the ads.

Is there a way to fix this?

{
  "server": {
    "host": "xxx.duckdns.org",
    "addresses": [
      "172.27.66.1"
    ],
    "dns": [
      "192.168.1.10"
    ]
  },
  "peers": [
    {
      "name": "hassio",
      "addresses": [
        "172.27.66.2"
      ],
      "allowed_ips": [],
      "client_allowed_ips": []
    }
  ]
}

I can, with both http://192.168.1.10:8123 and with https://xxx.duckdns.org so is definetely possible, but due to my limited knowledge of networking can’t tell you precisely how I did it

Try reading the addon manual, since that is not the IP to use for DNS in your case.

ad a local referal to your duckdns url inside pihole or adguard. That works :slight_smile:

Ehm, yes, definetely reading the documentation helps :smiley:

So I did the below, but the ads are still visible in 4G: I have a feeling that Chrome browser is using nevertheless its own DNS (??), anyone experienced the same? Anyway to avoid this?

p.s.
If you are running the AdGuard or Pi-hole add-on, you can add 172.30.32.1 as a DNS IP address in the list. This will cause your clients to use those. What this does, it effectively making your clients to have ad-filtering (e.g., your mobile phone), while not at home.

I am also having this issue. If i use ipchicken.com on my samsung handset it shows my home networks public ipv4 address (as it should), but there is no record of the handset IP on pihole, nor are any ads blocked.

Edit; I have also just configured an iphone as a second client. It connects to the VPN fine however there is no internet traffic at all. I can see data going back and forward on both phones and the wireguard hassio log

Can I use Nginx Proxy Manager addon (which I already use) for not opening port 51820? Or am I saying something unfeasible :smile:

im wondering the same thing. i currently have no “outside” connection to my hassio rpi. After a lot of reading im still not sure what to go with. I dont even have duckdns setup. But it sounds like to even use wireguard you must combine it with duckdns to work. Still learning.

Hi guys, thanks for all of the help, but I’m still absolutely mystified by this…

I’m sorry if I seem dense, but I have ASD, or what used to be called Asperger’s Syndrome. I’m not stupid, but I do have a learning disability and I’m having trouble making sense of this because I’m a visual learner. I’ve watched Frenck’s video at least a dozen times, but since he’s just doing a demo on a local connection, I’m having trouble correlating the video with my real-world outside connection. (Please don’t take offense Frenck, because I’m honestly not finding fault with any of your excellent contributions to the Hassio project, but I just don’t know how to connect-the-dots.)

I have no problems setting this up. It’s very straightforward. I’m pretty sure the issue I’m having is with the DNS address. What is the address I should add to the addon config? I’ve tried 172.30.32.1 as the documentation mentions, but this doesn’t work for me. (possibly because I’m using Pi-Hole?) I’ve also tried my gateway address, (192.168.x.x) and the address of my Pi. These don’t work either.

Could someone please explain this to me like you would a five year old? I would really appreciate it! (I hate to ask like this because it feels demeaning to me, but I’m just going in circles and getting more confused, so I’m just going to have to swallow my pride…)

My current config has 172.30.32.1 as the DNS address, but as I say, this isn’t working for me.

And if anyone uses Pi-Hole, where do I add the DNS address? (Whatever that may be. 172.30.32.1?) I’ve gone to, settings-DNS, and added it (172.30.32.1) as a custom upstream DNS server, but I don’t know if this is the right location, or just the wrong DNS address for my network.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Hi, I do not have (not that I am aware of) any syndrome, but still having trouble making sense of all this networking jargon after 2 years of use.

Don’t know if this can alleviate your comprehensible frustration, in any case, you are not alone :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the WireGuard add-on Frenck, it is excellent and easy to configure, and even better than my previous OpenVPN connection to home.

I am using the Pi-hole add-on too, but adding 172.30.32.1 as the DNS server does not work, at least my Android phone cannot resolve anything when I configure that one. I am running Hass.io on my Raspberry 4.

Im using Nginx add-on but as I said in my early post I’m just confused as to the advantages and disadvantage of all.

I have created an issue on github here

The addon works fine outside of my own network, but inside it doesn’t. And I would like to have it as an always on VPN to make use of the local ad-blocking.
How can I get that?

Hey guys does anyone know how to get internet working on a client device while being connected to vpn? I’m running a raspi with hassio and the only access I have is to my home-assistant instance and local network devices but not outside world. how do I set up IP forwarding on a raspi with HASS os?
Thanks in advance.

PS: fixed :slight_smile: just read the MANUAL :slight_smile: as always
Thanks

1 Like

Just wanted to pop in and add a huge Thank You to @frenck!

This is, by far, the easiest VPN I have ever set up and the throughput speeds absolutely crush OpenVPN running on a Synology!

I’m really glad you decided to persist through the long and difficult development process on this one.

Great work Frenck!

1 Like