Home Assistant Companion for Android 1.6 and 1.7

Have you disabled battery optimisation for the app?

Oh no I have not how do you do that

Depends entirely on your model of phone - stock Google Pixel the easiest way is to search settings with “battery” keyword.

1 Like

Just did disabled battery optimisation for note 10 thanks man :slight_smile:

It didn’t work :frowning:

This is (most likely) a doze issue, and disabling battery optimisation for the app does resolve it for the Pixel phones that I and my wife use.

Unless I’m mistaken, you’ll need to look at the app’s permissions for background processing and battery usage within the Samsung menus and options (I’m not familiar with them) - this may include ‘sleeping apps’.

You can validate this by checking whether notifications are received promptly.

1. With the phone awake (i.e. screen on) and the app completely closed.
  2. With the app running in the foreground (i.e. open on screen).
  3. With the phone asleep and app closed.

If 2 only, then it’s (probably) a background processing limitation on the phone to adjust.
If 1 only, then battery optimisation for the HA app still needs looking at.
If 3, then it should be working correctly.

You can also test with the ttl and priority elements discussed here

I just Remove the app, vlear the integration for this mobile in HA and reinstall the app. now its working :slight_smile: don’t know what was wrong but its fixed now :slight_smile:

This doesn’t seem right to me. Why aren’t they prefixed with the device name? sensor.battery_level_N is just too generic a name. This isn’t a complaint just about the Android app, naming of entities in HA has always annoyed me.

This is probably just an oversight in the app integration. It doesn’t sound like an intentional thing, but maybe it is. Regardless it’s not that hard to rename entities.

I mentioned this probably halfway up this thread. There’s already a bug logged for it.

@SteveDinn and @Gluwc and @jcollie The issue regarding sensor generic names will be fixed in 0.106. Keep in mind this will not impact any sensors already registered with HA. You can easily rename them in the UI and you can find them via the integrations panel as they are attached to your device.

1 Like

The actionable notifications are fantastic!

I find that clicking on an action properly triggers the event; however it doesn’t dismiss the notification (Android, Pixel 4). Do I have to listen for the event and send a clear_notification? Or am I missing a setting?

do you by chance have sticky: true defined? If so change it to false or remove it.

It’s there a way to use actions with a notify group? I would love to be able to send ‘Garage left open’ to a notify group and then clear it from that same group when anybody takes action on it.

I tried to do this but it seems to disallow the extra parameters when calling the notify group.

Unfortunately the ‘sticky’ value has no impact, and selecting an action won’t dismiss the notification. In fact, setting ‘sticky’ to true, false, or leaving it out completely has no effect regardless of having ‘actions’ or not (I can always swipe right to dismiss the notification).

Here’s an example message. Tapping “One” or “Two” will trigger the callback in Home Assistant, but keep the notification displaying on my phone (Pixel 4).

{
    "message": "Test",
    "data": {
        "tag": "notify_test",
        "sticky": "false",
        "actions": [
            {
                "action": "1",
                "title": "One"
            },
            {
                "action": "2",
                "title": "Two"
            }
        ]
    }
}

what about the other new notification options like color or tag? I have a feeling you may want to try and start fresh with the android app to see if it resolves teh issue:

does your group contain only android devices? if so it should work as the service data is the same.

Yeah, the group contained two devices, both of which are Android companion app notifiers

I also tried it with just one item in the group, and no dice.

what did your service data look like? did you get any errors in the HA logs?

Yeah, there were errors describing exactly the problem. The notify.group service can’t handle the extra parameters. I can reproduce it and get the exact text if you want.

What does the service data look like that you used?

I can use the following and it works fine:

- service: notify.android
    data_template:
      title: "test title"
      data:
        image: !secret url
        priority: high
        ttl: 0

notify.android goes to 2 android devices and the image loads properly, notice how the entire service data is under data_template or alternatively it could be data