Home Assistant Companion same wrong location

look at the reported accuracy when it happens and make adjustment in sensor settings appropriately

1 Like

Oh it’s not the home range for sure. I’ve made the radius very large for testing but it is still happening. Rebooting the phone seems to have helped for now.

Hey for me it was fixed after removing the location updates from the sensor updates. For some reason I had ticked that on at some point in time and that forced the phone to update the location together with any sensor data update and that was causing the issue, as this made location updates very very frequent and error prone.

I’m not talking about radius I said accuracy

@fxxr did you double check if location updates are included i sensor updates within you companion app? If so remove that. It doesn’t help. To me it also seemed that this setting was causing the accuracy filter to not work.

Do my words make any sensor to you or do I talk gibberish language here, as I dont know the exact names of the config/features I’m writing about here.

Here are some docs on location sensor settings: Location | Home Assistant Companion Docs

What this option does is it triggers the same thing that request_location_update notification command does. It creates a temporary request for latest location using GPS instead of the fused location provider. Its supposed to be more accurate but when included with sensor updates it can trigger so often the results may get mixed up. The reason why this setting exists is because this was the old behavior of the app since we updated it and we wanted to keep the old behavior for anyone who wanted it. This option is not enabled by default either so it needed to be explicitly enabled by the user.

The best way to troubleshoot location issues are mentioned in the docs, you need to look at the logs as we log the entire decision making process so you can see what the issue is to make adjustments as needed.

Thanks, I didn’t realize that in your first message. I’ll take a look into accuracy and the docs you linked.

Thanks for following up! I checked and location updates in sensor updates are disabled.

I think my issue was the device actually reporting incorrect location. After rebooting it, this issue went away. If it happens again, I’ll look into debug data, but I might just set a weekly reboot for it :slight_smile:

Resurrecting this thread.

I have a strange issue with the location now showing on two different Android phones. (2 different users)
Both show that we now live across the road from our actual house!

I’ve rebooted one phone and restarted the companion app, but I’m still living across the road…
I also checked the lat long of the phone’s device tracker entity in HA, and seems to think I am across the road as well.

Really strange that both phones are doing it. Both are the same model phone, but on different networks.

I’ll check in the morning if its corrected itself. I’ve never had this issue before.

those are actual reports that Google is sending. We have some troubleshooting steps around how to read the logs and evaluate teh location reports that come from google.

https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/troubleshooting/faqs/#device-tracker-is-not-updating-in-android-app

check to see how frequent you see the updates and if any are skipped due to accuracy like mentioned above.

I toggled high accuracy mode on and off, then toggle update frequency to 1 minute, then back to ‘fast only when charging’ on ONE phone and BOTH phones fixed themselves, now showing at home.

I have the exact same problem. Reboot seems to fix it for a while