Home Assistant Cookbook - Discussion Thread

@Stiltjack, When a firm I used to work for did Intranets they advised clients nothing should ever be more than three clicks away (and then produced a mountain of stats to justify that)

So your thinking is sound. Beyond three you loose people’s attention and click through drops through the floor.

1 Like

Nothing changes. Back in the newspaper days, a story “below the fold” was guaranteed fewer readers.

1 Like

My company’s Intranet used as 3 click system as well. It wasn’t always adhered to, but it worked well.

1 Like

As I said, I didn’t explain it properly.

See here:

I find that good to read, people are used to scroll down in Discord forums. If you just scroll down, you have one click to the linked topic, if you use the TOC to get into a category there are only two. One on the TOC, and one in the corresponding post to the linked topic.

It’s easier for us, as we can better add content to each category (see “optional” in the example topic), it’s easier to manage in case of edits, as the post to edit is much smaller, and I find it good to read for the user - you have kind of a divider between categories, because you have a seperate post for each category.

I like it, as I already said, would be my favourite, but as you, @Stiltjack , started the Cookbook, it’s your choice! Let me know, what you think! :slight_smile:

Btw. this post should be added to the Cookbook as well, this sounds great for people that use th UI (not me, but hey… :laughing:).

If we’re going for the smaller usefull ones too, this one got more likes than I would have guessed:

I see what you mean now, sorry. I agree it is good to read.

However, as @tom_l says, only the first post in a Community Guide can be edited by anyone. Your index works very well for something that’s being maintained by one person, but it’s not going to work here, unfortunately.

Anyone else got any thoughts? I may be trying to fix something that’s not broken… :grin:

1 Like
1 Like

Wow, yes it did. Can you write it up as a community guide?

1 Like

Will do. But I may wait untill I have a proper keyboard, I’m on vacation now.

Only the example I gave in the topic.

I was trying to see how the recent changes affected the post about the autogenerated dashboard. But I have so many entities, the autogenerated dashboard is totally locking up my iPad air. I guess my partner would say my hobby is getting out of hand. I just think: I need an iPad pro… :rofl:

3 Likes

Tracking down instability issues caused by integrations Added to cookbook index (Troubleshooting)

3 Likes

Thank you! Do we need to make sure all cookbook posts are in the Community Guides category?

If they are not, they can’t be edited by anyone except the original author - and I think this is true even if you move them to Community Guides. There may be issues keeping them up to date in the future.

Edit: An alternative is to ask the author to use the “make wiki” option.

I messaged bdraco and he was ok with moving it. It looks like it’s done.

I moved it myself, but he needs to make it a wiki since it was created outside Community Guides.

Guys, don’t move pinned topics. I’m going to move it back so that it has optics on it during this release. Configuration has the most traffic, that’s where people will head when encountering an issue with 2024.5.

We can make a separate cookbook post if needed at a later date.

1 Like

looping @bdraco in so he knows what is happening

2 Likes

Sorry… I didn’t read this first… I changed the category…

I didn’t notice the pin. Have to start looking for that I guess.

Added a link for this in getting started HA

1 Like