Home Assistant Cookbook - Discussion Thread

I figured, but I have an aversion to tagging people when I’m unsure it’s really necessary, especially ones who are probably spammed with enough tags already.

Guess you handled that particular dilemma for me, so thanks.

You’re right, but a nod (and maybe some guidelines) from those involved before I attempted this would go a long way towards encouraging me to try it.

Also agreed, but isn’t that also the case today? If there’s a change in HA, anyone can (and should be encouraged to) update the affected cookbook.

1 Like

It’s something we should pass thru them before anything, You could submit it but best to hear the opinion first before you go thru the work of that.

It’s in the same zone as YT videos in the docs, but those are by members of the Content Creator group, these would be by anyone and the wiki nature of the posts means ANYONE not a newbee can edit them. That’s bad…

2 Likes

Eh, fair point. You’re right on that.

1 Like

I don’t have a suggestion to do it otherwise and I see the need, but to me the docs are formal while the cookbook is more informal. Linking to official docs from the cookbook seems appropriate, but the reverse doesn’t quite work for me.

1 Like

So I’m thinking if we know there is more information specific in the Cookbook, perhaps a link to the cookbook index would be enough to guide others to more help
The Home Assistant Cookbook - Index.

This buffers it a bit so if a specific post is broken, all is good. And the index is pinned so it will be there.

4 Likes

I like this idea… a link to the index would be pretty future-proof imho.

1 Like

Seconded. A generic link to the cookbook section is less likely to break & easier to include in the docs.

1 Like

Well… Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, guys. :wink:

The cookbook (or at least the index) has existed for 18 days. Getting pinned is a pretty big achievement for everyone who has contributed. As far as I can tell, the forum itself is only mentioned twice three times in the docs…

3 Likes

This looks like a good subject is someone wants to tackle it s a cookbook subject…
Discord.

I have some orphaned devices that were sensors on a switch. When I try and get settings on them to try and delete them…

and Discord.

New one. It’s often asked in context of energy entities, but applies to anything really: “I need to replace x. How can I keep my history?”

Good one - what’s the answer???

This seems to be the answer (at least for now): Rename entity ids and retain statistics - #8 by AngellusMortis

EDIT: though I’m not 100% convinced it works because of this: "New entity_id is already in use" error when renaming any entity · Issue #115747 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

2 Likes

3 Likes

Why? :slight_smile: Shouldn’t we use the less complicated things in the Cookbook? Genuine question. :slight_smile:

I would have recommended something like petros Jinja macros:

The example in that topic isn’t taking any user settings into account (what it should in my opinion, to get his place in the Cookbook).

There’s already a link from Getting time and date with templates. Added by @nickrout I think.

Thoughts anyone?

That’s perfect, can’t you add it there? That would make way more sense in my eyes, than linking that other topic. :slight_smile:

I personally am not a fan of so complicated to explain one liners, and wouldn’t recommend them much. One topic, where all these are bundled is a great alternative for such things. One can take a look, if necessary, but not o present for “newer” users. :slight_smile:

Same, but sometimes the sheer genius of them is a sight to behold. The stuff that some of the users come up with makes me feel dumb in comparison lol

1 Like

Over 60% of my forum bookmarks are posts from Taras (123). :smiley: It really amazes me, what he’s doing.

I can say, he personally saved me around 400 or 500 lines of code in my YAML files, if that’s even enough. :+1: :rofl:

3 Likes

Between him and petro over the years, SAME!

2 Likes