Home Assistant direct control of Control4 AMP and Tuner (no plugin needed)

For anyone interested, I took the work from @bigmac and converted it to a media player custom component. It allows configuration all via the configuration.yaml, allowing power on/off, source selection, and volume. I’m not a programmer, so fire away if anyone has improvements.

1 Like

Thanks for picking this up and sharing it. I’m really keen to try this, although I no longer have the original C4 Matrix / Amp combined unit, instead upgrading it to the separate 16 channel audio matrix and individual power amps. So it may not work, but would be great to find out!

I’ve looked at GitHub and the sample config.yaml, do you have an example of how the extra zones should be listed in the yaml as it seems there would only be 1 host for the matrix, but multiple zones?

Thanks
Barry

Ive added the basic config for one room with the correct IP address and nothing is showing up, no errors in the HA log, but no media player present in the entities list either after a restart with the yaml updated. Maybe no joy on the 16 way audio matrix then unless Ive done something wrong.

Unless it’s a C4 matrix amp it won’t work. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 4 zone or 8 zone amp, it’ll work, but the code is specific for C4.

It is C4, but it’s not a matrix amp it’s matrix only. I’m pretty sure it’s a newer range than the matrix amps so probably why they aren’t compatible.

If you restarted HA and your amp doesn’t support this, you should at least see errors in the log after doing something like changing the volume.

Hi @Hansen8601, thank you for doing this! I am very interested in this but would need support for multiple sources. I have the 8 zone amp, BTW.

This would be great to get away from the HC-800…still have the DoorStation2 to deal with tough. I am currently using the official C4 integration with dummy light switches in C4 to trigger C4 programming using the light switches in HA. Doing it all in HA directly instead would be awesome.

I added the ability to select sources a while ago but didn’t update the readme file on GitHub. The code there will support sources, but they will show in Home Assistant as 1,2,3 and 4 vs. a text name. If you try this and it works for you, I can add the ability to add text names via the configuration.yaml file.

Thanks @Hansen8601! I have it working, and it is great. My amp has 8 sources, so I edited the media_player.py on my installation to have 8. It may be a good idea to make the number of sources an option in configuration.yaml. It also may be a good idea to have a default source option too.

I think it would be great if you can allow custom source names in the configuration as well. Thanks for all the work!

Is it possible to also add a mute button?

Great to hear you have it working @OtisPresley.

I’ll look at named sources and a mute button.

If I make it so you can pass unlimited sources in the config I should be able to have it flexible so it works based on what’s configured.

1 Like

Thanks @Hansen8601! Please let me know when you need help testing.

I just got a C4-16AMP3-B (the 8 Channel version that @OtisPresley also is talking about) and this integration is working great! This is amazing! I was able to find this Amp on eBay for $150 (as-is since the seller didn’t know how to test) and this saved me so much money on my Whole Home Audio set up.

Thank you @bigmac for all the initial research into this! It is very much appreciated.

Thank you @Hansen8601 for the build of this custom integration. If I find any issue or ways to expand I’ll send over some PRs.

Glad you found it useful. For the price you can get these amps used, they are an incredible deal.

Glad to see others getting use out of it. I’ve been watching but been super busy building my new barndominium, so I don’t even have my system up right now.

I’m glad others are sharing off what I started.

2 Likes

Definitely thank you @bigmac!

Thank you @Hansen8601 for adding the source names. It is working great.

Every now and then I look at the C4 space to see if there are some more features that I could control from HA.

Revisited this tread and found that there is now a custom-integration available and was wondering if there are any plans to make this available through HACS as it would simplify installation?

I haven’t seen a lot of interest, so I wasn’t planning to make this available via HACS. I looked into the install flow and HACS while creating the media player but it was a little more involved than I wanted to tackle at the time. A lot of my hesitation was wondering if there is a better way to do this than having a media player for each channel.

Even thought you can get a used C4 amp for an incredible deal, there’s a pretty small group out there using them. I’m considering buying a spare off of ebay just in case mine dies. If there was a lot of interest, I’d look into publishing via HACS, or be open to any guidance on doing so.

Yeah, I agree. The cross section of Control4 and Home Assistant is probably not that big. So I doubt there will be lots of interest out there. As for me I’ll definitely look into your component. I had the prior integration by @bigmac running on a prior install but broke something on the rebuild of my Home Assistant instance.

I’m not a developer so can’t offer any guidance unfortunately.

However having a media player with the ability to select the channel(s) the source plays on would be really handy. It’s a matrix amp so the option to play the same music on different channels (rooms) would be very common (I use it all the time).

I have a Matrix switch with two 8 Channel Power Amps, I assume this should also work.

I also like the C4 option to join other rooms and being able to control the volume individually.

Maybe at some point I can step back in, but I’m still deep into building my new place and don’t have the time or anything setup right now so I couldn’t test it if I wanted, but like I always say, if you can dream it, it can be built and customized anyway you want.

1 Like