Home Assistant, for who is it for?

In my opinion HASS is currently not at a state where average people should be using it. My brother is doing home automation way longer than me, but lacks the skills required to efficiently and securly handle Home Assistant. Hence I wouldn’t recommend Home Assistant to him. Instead he’s still using his consumer-targeted hub and ioBroker for some extended functionality. For him that’s perfectly fine.
I on the other hand am a developer with, I believe, a skillset to see myself capable enough to operate Home Assistant in a productive way. I don’t expect the stability or ease of use that existing solutions for a broader audience provide.

So I essentially agree if you are stating, that Home Assistant is not actively targeting regular users. And to me that is perfectly fine. I actually even think it’s a positive thing that Home Assistant currently is less accessible than other solutions. With the power Home Assistant provides and the broad variety of things you can combine it with, it’s very easy to do something that compromises the security of your Home. And being an open source project there’s no one you could blame for that.
That being said my personly conclusion is, that Home Assistant should stay a bit more complicated to setup and use until it reaches a state where it is safe for everybody to use.

4 Likes

Lately I’m thinking to give up on HA partially from these reasons, it is taking so much time from me and the result not satisfying

In last 3-4 months I’ve spent maybe 1000 hours on HA, learned it pretty good but still I can’t make it good enough, as program in development it’s understood that will be complications but only if I knew it from beginning

In beginning of my “Smart Home” journey I wanted to buy everything HomeKit cause it works flawlessly, when seeing prices like 200$ camera and 50$ sensor I though I can build entire home instead of one camera but I never took time as factor, today with 200$ not perfect gadgets and 1000 hours invested I think maybe it was cheaper to get the 200$ camera…

My main issue is GPS tracking which all my automations based on, and its not working reliably. 3 sensors cant be sure if I’m there or not, it’s so frustrating. Most of my gadgets are Xiaomi and their app is terrible, and half in Chinese so I don’t even know what is said, but it simply works. For half year Xiaomi GPS automation never failed.

I use HA mostly for the “History” part, cause it can track all data in one place, but for home automation purpose I can’t trust it yet.

I’d say Home Assistant is for those who love coding, DIY project, it’s great self educational tool, made me understand code much more than I knew it before, also learned Linux, and how great GitHub is, but the question is, do I need those skills or I need home automation?

1 Like

@danielperna84 thanks for the input. Maybe because I’ve been using for just a few months, I already got a project that does so well in some regards and lack in some others. Probably is my ignorance of not knowing what goes on in development.

I don’t think is making things hard helps. It’s inevitable, we are already at a point that Home Assistant is relatively accessible. Leaving the user figure out things by himself leads to the “I’ve been hacked” posts on the hassio community.

The more accessible the project becomes more people can contribute. You just make it harder for someone with a different set of abilities be exposed to the project and than maybe help with development.

Look my complaints are 99% related to the lack of UI for basic things. And a good UI avoids a lot of time in documentation.
I guess that most developers are more into python than HTML. Wouldn’t it be great to attract more people to help?

2 Likes

I feel the same sometimes. It’s really hard for developers to keep track of the so many pieces that we have right now.

Don’t we have a feature request on this forum?

1 Like

The developers have acknowledged this many times. It’s in the works. It’s already better now than it was a year ago.

Yes. But you’re asking/complaining about something that is well known, been acknowledged, and is in development

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t follow things that close…
I’m just trying to have a conversation to better understand and maybe learn what is ahead.

I wrote this post after searching and founding a 2015 post asking for a Configuration UI.

I’ve seen many many discussions over the last year talking about the state of the GUI, and how to make it better for everyone.

I say this because you appear to have a viewpoint that nobody recognizes this issue, when in fact, it’s a very large topic that has been very involved over the years.

I understand. I even regret posting.
I try openHAB2 this afternoon and was shock how much hass is behind.
From what I understand the best is to have some patience and hope that they show up soon.

Don’t regret it.

You voiced your concerns and didn’t have a clear understanding of what the project was intending to do.

Please see the list of appropriate locations to raise bugs, feature requests,and issues.

something like that is coming actually :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well let me just say I got my first raspberry pi about 4 years ago.

I didn’t know anything about how to use it or Linux system.

I slowly started learning bits and pieces about python still have a lot to learn.

I set up a few Raspberry Pi’s to read temperature and humidity around the house. I ran that for a while the bought my first Phillips Hue kit ( hub and 2 lights ) I had been using X10 system since the late 80’s I didn’t know at that time my way of life was about to change in home automation.

About 1 1/2 years ago I was getting some advice on MQTT on this forum and someone told me about esp8266 and here we go again, Learning something new, Arduino sketch , I now have about 20 different things around the house including automated binds, doors/window sensors, bed occupancy sensors, temp/ humidity sensors. And device tracking, keeping track of family members, with automations for about everything.

All I have done myself with help from here.
Because buying all that would have been very expensive.

Keep in mind I’ve only been at this for about 4 years.

I love home assistant and would not have all that I have, had I not come across the website about 2 years ago, and all the support there is here.

So as for me Home Assistant is the best thing. I learned home assistant because I love home automation, I tried other open source ones and didn’t like them at all.

And just so you know I am 60 years old. And learning every day

5 Likes

I find it odd that users can write extended rants about how hard it is to set up HA, but cannot type pretty simple text (in fact mostly copy and paste) into a config file.

I got my first really helpful overviews from the BRUH videos.

And the stuff here https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/ is pretty simple to work your way though.

People expect to install turn on and have a finished product. That is not home assistant. If you want that then get control4 or something.

Home assistant is not a product, it is a community.

9 Likes

As someone who deals with users every day, it amazes me that people can pride themselves on not wanting to learn anything.

6 Likes

As you say it’s a community and I’m trying to have a conversation.
Is just rude of you to assume that everybody that disagrees should go use something else.

I was trying to show the dichotomy that we have right now where the project is getting more and more streamlined but it’s core functionalities are stuck with text-based.

I’m also not saying that learning is wrong. But I don’t believe that writing a stupid long yaml file to organize my sensors is the best thing that people can learn.

2 Likes

So use short yaml files and organize your system?

I still hate them :laughing:

Honestly, the yaml should stay for when you want to do a special customization.

Why can’t we do things like this?
https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/images/7/71/EasyConfigBME280.png

2 Likes

Because someone needs to write the code for over 1,000 components, and maintain it.

So a drop-down menu within each section containing every supported device in that section?

Ok.

This needs a database (do we do offline or online?), And it also needs a good front end. We need every possible combination of option available for every single device. How long do you propose this would take a team of, say, 10 developers working full time?

I’m all about something easier, but if you want something now, you’re going to have to jump in and get your hands dirty with some code.

That’s fair and makes sense.
I’m not saying that things should be now or that even my ideas are right.
I wish home assistant to be easy that I could tell everyone I know to use it.

I don’t think this topic is going anywhere good. I appreciate and I’m extremely grateful for what the developers have done.

Sorry for wasting your guys time.

1 Like

It’s barely even code really. Once you get used to yaml it’s not that hard and there is an abundance of help available.

What staggers me is the number of people who start a post saying they have been an IT professional for 20 years but they can’t work it out!

2 Likes